PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow Notification Display of the target attribute using any UOM

We default Element Templates to SI Units as standard, which makes sense, but we have Sites that are Imperial and Sites that are metric. This extends to certain department (wells, for example) using different units of measure to the default.
    I need to be able to send notifications to some people in a unit of measure that is not the template default (i.e. imperial), but there is no ability to do this without making duplicate attributes with different default UOM's.

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Write a description for the PI Data Archive services

When you open the Services program (services.msc), none of the PI Data Archive services have a description. Please provide descriptions for these. The specific services are:
    • PI Archive Subsystem
    • PI Backup Subsystem
    • PI Base Subsystem
    • PI Buffer Subsystem
    • PI License Manager
    • PI Message Subsystem
    • PI Network Manager
    • PI Shutdown Subsystem
    • PI Snapshot Subsystem
    • PI SQL Subsystem
    • PI Update Manager

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Ability to embed substitution parameters

I would like the ability to embed a substitution parameter within another substitution parameter.
    For example, in the following Configuration String:

\\%Server%\%@|<Attribute Name>|TagName%

I would like to replace <Attribute Name> with a substitution parameter

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow modification of System Enumeration Type

Although it is not advisable to modify the "System" digital state on a PI Server it is permissable as per the documentation on a "Minimal" basis.

In AF the matching "System" Enumeration set is "hard coded" and allows no modification at all.

This provides not only an inconsistancy in approach from OSIsoft, but also an Inconsistancy in values received from AF and from PI when the "System" digital state has been modified.

These inconsistancies leed to people questioning the validity of the data and the products being used to display it.

The "System" enumeration should be held in the AFEnumeraiton…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Option to reconcile templates during xml import

Suppose the following scenario: a user has 2 AF databases (a development and a production one), both containing same version of a template. The user deletes a few attributes and analyses from one element template (development), exports the xml and imports the same xml file into the production database. Today, the template in the production server remains unchanged, forcing the user to manually delete the attributes and analyses from production database (using either PI Builder or PSE).

The "import xml" function present in PI System Explorer should contain an option to allow users to reconcile templates, when importing a template…

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
    So what would be the expected behavior if elements have already been created from the template? It would then be possible to have deletion of data upon an import of a template. What if there are overridden template attributes? What would be the expected behavior if the imported template affects these overridden template attributes?

6. In future releases of PI Server, provide an installer that does not install itself in Windows Programs & Features.

Regulations and rules require pre-installation approval and documentation of all programs installed on a machine. Please provide an installer or a method of installation that prevents the installer from appearing in Programs & Features.

Furthermore, always provide a comprehensive, detailed list of programs that will be/can be installed in each installation kit.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Installation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Sizing sheet should include at least minimal support for AF Audit Trail

Currently there is not a single hint nor guidance on the impact of the Audit Trail in the sizing sheet, while the Audit Trail can have a major impact on the storage requirements.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. I would like the ability to move searches defined on the PSE management tag from computer to computer

I have created numerous searches on the management tab of the PSE, but if changing computers or even sharing the searches between workers you currently have to recreate the searches on each computer. Not sure where these are stored currently, but a way to import/export the searches would be helpful.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Set the DEFAULT analysis type to periodic, and/or allow the user to set the default in the config

The default is set to Natural (event driven), but best practices say that this is a very costly method. Creating thousands of analyses can lead to forgetting to change it to periodic.  My suggestion is that the default should be set to periodic and/or the user should be allowed to set what default analysis type they want in the configuration.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Send notification to additional persons based on change in severity

A way to configure a notification rule to send to additional contacts when the severity status changes without creating a new analysis.

Customer use case:
    Customer wants to scan devices. If a device fails to respond (I/O Timeout) over a short period of time, the event frame Severity is set to Warning and a notification is sent to IT. If the device remains offline for an extended period of time a child event frame is created and severity changes to major. When this occurs the customer would like additional people to be notified so they can go investigate the issue.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Table Lookup to Return Multiple Rows in an Array Attribute

As AF supports Attributes with a Value Type of Array, it would be useful if the Table Lookup Data Reference could return multiple rows from a Table, rather than just the first row or a summary.

0 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Configure an event frame so that, depending on the reason code, severity automatically changes

I I would suggest to configure an event frame so that, depending on the reason code, severity automatically changes

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add Tag Import feature like old "PI Tag Configurator"

Add Tag Import feature like old "PI Tag Configurator":  PI Builder cannot import attributes of a list of tags pasted into the spreadsheet from another source like "PI Tag Configurator" could.  With PI Builder, if you have want to work on tags that don't group together well by name or description, you have to either make multiple, varied searches or pull in an extra large pack of tags and pair them down.  Also, its tag search is inferior, limited to Name, Source, type, class, units, and description.  There is no way to search by Location1, creation date, etc.  Please review…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  PI Builder  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add an analysis function to find the Kth largest value in an array

Expression analyses allow you to find the largest value of an attribute over a specified time range using the TagMax function. A function which offers the ability the find the Kth largest value (i.e. 2nd, 3rd, etc.) would be useful. Something similar to the LARGE function in Excel would be ideal.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. PI SMT - Archive Editor Improvements

Why is the second server of all selected servers the default selected server for the archive editor? (C# index 1 instead of 0?)

If I leave the Tagname empty and press the search button the tag search dialog opens fine.
    But if I enter some text at Tagname and then immediately remove the text again and now press the search button an error message "Error -2147220305: Empty strings not allowed. (Check Tagname)" appears even twice in a row.

If I enter a tagname that does not exist an the error message appears that is ok, but it also appears twice…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add To, CC and BCC for Notifications

Thanks for implementing https://feedback.osisoft.com/forums/555148-pi-server/suggestions/32874406-notification-e-mail-delivery-channel-to-accept-mul

I would like to see "CC" and "BCC" in addition to "To".

At out company the receipients of "To" should do the necessary work involved with the notification and the recipients of "CC" (and "BCC") should only be informed.

It would be nice if ";" (semicolon) would also be accepted as a separator betweeen multiple email addresses. I think MS Outlook takes the regional list separator.
    Maybe it would be best to provide a tooltip in all email fields to show this option.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. New Date and Time Functions

I like the new feature of providing an output timestamp via analysis.
    To use this even more I would like to see more date and time functions:
    - AddMonths(), AddDays(), AddHours(), ... for adding or subtracting time ranges.
    - DateSerial(yy, mm, dd [, hh, mi, ss]) for creating a new date time
    - PIString() function that outputs a date time as a string using the PI time format
    - String() function with custom formats
    - Useful could also be WeekDayName() and MonthName() (both in English and in local time format)

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Have the ability to change PI Message log file configuration (Size, Duration etc)

If verbose logging is setup for applications such as (PI Batch) which write to the PI message log (or if you have very busy PI servers with lots of logs), the file sizes can get to several GB in size. It would be good to have the ability to configure the log file size

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Digital State Sets and Bit Flags

a common data type encountered are Double Integers as bit flags, where different combinations of each bit of the binary representation of the double integer corresponds to a state. PI's Digital State Sets do not handle these well.

First, it requires that even unused states are created in the set . . . annoying, but not a total hindrance (there is another idea posted pertaining to this particularly)

Second, digital state sets have a maximum of 16383, which is only 14 bits, which is only sufficient for single integer (8 bit) flagging techniques.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED