PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Improve Management of Asset Analytics

mprove PI AF Analysis Handling in PI System Explorer when working with hundreds of analysis with following features:

• Possibility to sort Analysis/Analysis Templates in alphabetic order by Status, Element, Name, Template

• Possibility to filter Analysis by Status, Element, Name, Template, Backfilling

• Select all filters Analysis to Start/Stop and Start Backfilling
      Problem is when a certain set of a analyses are selected so they will be handled in one go. It is not possible to group the required ones in a contiguous section of lines in the PSE Management Add-In, manual selection is taking very much time.

• Stop Backfilling for all…

127 votes
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

RESEARCHING / EVALUATING  ·  17 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add Access Right that Allow Users to Create Tags But Not Delete Tags

As a user of the PI Data Archive, I would like the ability to give users access to create tags but not to be able to delete tags. This way they will not be able to accidentally delete tags but they still have the ability to create tags.

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Future analyses whose values update as the present approaches

I would like to use the analysis service to create a forecast whose values update as a given timestamp approaches the present. A forecast 5 minutes into the future is more likely to be accurate than a forecast an hour into the future.

Currently, I can use multiple analyses to write to the same tag at different points in the future, e.g. an hour ahead, 30 minutes ahead, and 5 minutes ahead. This results in multiple values at the same timestamp which is problematic for client tools.

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Support for Entry of an Coresight Adhoc Display Link in a Notification Email

(AF 2016 R2, Notifications 2016 R2)
    I would like to have support to include a link to an Coresight ad-hoc trend for a specific attribute into an email. I have attempted to use the Insert Link option under Message formats in the following way:
    Entered URL: http://<machine>1/coresight/#/displays/AdHoc
    Adding Keys DataItems, StartTime and EndTime..
    I can drag the start and end time from the event frame properties to populate the Value columns for these keys. But there is no way to get the data item properly set because it must have the full path (like DataItems=\pisrv1\Test\Element1|Attribute).

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Improve management of templates which create PI tags

Currently managing attribute templates which can create tags is very laborious. It is an issue particularly when dealing with different security settings for tags. Improvements suggested would include

• have the ability to create and maintain multiple 'profiles' or templates for tag creation - which for example might be used where different tag security settings are needed

• enable the ability edit an attribute template's PI Point creation settings in PI Builder

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Multiple AD Folders

At the moment it is only possible to select a single AD contact subfolder to link to contacts. We have our users spread over many subfolders based on location, organisation etc. It should be possible to specify multiple folders.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Delay Real-Time Calculations until backfill is finished.

For recursive Analyses such as below :
    PrevVal(tagA,'*') + 'TagB' → output : tagA

When the PI Analysis Service is down (or the node needs to be restarted), the current calculation needs to be halted until the Backfilling reaches up to the start up time. Or else the value will not be as expected.

17 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. It would be great to have the ability to hide the Event Frame End Time in the Notification Email When a Notification Triggers

It would be great to have the ability to hide the Event Frame End Time in the Notification Email when the notification first triggers.
    At this time, and End Time of 12/31/9999 11:59:59 PM Central Standard Time (GMT-06:00:00) is displayed even though an event is not closed.
    Note: in this case notifications have been set up to send at Event Start and End Time.

17 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Exclude certain event frames when performing backfilling/recalculation

As an asset-analytics user, I need a way for certain event frames to be excluded when backfilling an analysis .
    Use case:
    We have several event frames that are used as Logs/Shift books. Those events do contain a few static attributes. such as comments, quality information, etc. Some also have event frames linked manually (in the form of event. frame references).
    Our problem is that if we start a backfill/recalc, the manual entries will be deleted and the event frame references will be lost.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Gray out inherited Root Cause Event Frame category

Gray out or remove the inherited Root Cause Event Frame category to avoid having it selected. This will avoid the error "<Event Frame Category> Already Exists"

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Richer escalation model.

I would like to suggest a richer escalation model. It should be possible to trigger escalation from process events as well as based on time. It should be possible to trigger escalation even if an event frame has been acknowledged. The escalation should be an event frame in its own right, a child of the original event frame. This would make it much easier to report on escalations.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. ICU startup on high latency networks

On high latency networks, it can take ICU many minutes to start because every interface on the PI Data Archive is checked. Minimize startup time by caching a node's registered interfaces.

43 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add new PIPointAttribute for "StaleTimeout"

While no customers have asked for this directly, I have seen many customers ask how to check a tag for being stale. The solution to date assumes all tags have the same staleness timeout, which really is not the case most of the time.

This new "StaleTimeout" point attribute would be a duration (time span) customizable for each tag. There could also be a new PIPoint property called "IsStale" which could bounce the current value's timestamp off the "StaleTimeout".

16 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Rick,

We are considering how to implement Data Quality in an upcoming release. A subset of that is if data is stale. If you can help us gather more customer use cases to better document the problem, and help us get a sense of how many customers would benefit from this feature, that would be extremely helpful.

Specifically, what would be very helpful is the requirements customers have to determine when a data point is stale. We are making a serious effort to simplify the management of the PI System, so we would like to be able to avoid asking users to spend time configuring yet another parameter.

14. Ability to convert historical tags to future data tags

As a production supervisor, I would like to be able to convert historical data tags to future data tags so that I can more efficiently transition my production target tags from being something that I have to update every day, to something that I can update ahead of time. Currently my production target tags are historical data tags, meaning that I have to go in every morning and update the tag with today's production target. I'll be upgrading my PI Server soon, which will allow me to use the future data feature. If I could make these tags into future…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Security settings identities

Security setting for an identity must be sen in the PI server and AF should get that. Why create additional identities in AF as well. Duplication creates risk for errors and requires additional maintenance.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. One Step Process to Clean Cached Events on Mobile Devices with PIML Mobile

As a user of Manual Logger Mobile, I would like the ability to easily manage the number of cached devices on my mobile device. It is a lot of steps required to clean up the number of cached events on a handheld device.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Publish Element Searches Publicly in System Explorer

Ability to 'Publish' Element searches in System Explorer for all users to see. This ability exists now but the search is only available to user who created it.

This would let users create custom element searches within each AF database that could be browsed by any other user (AFSDK, PIwebAPI, etc..) When defining a custom search, the user would have the option to 'Publish Publicly' where it becomes like a pseudo-element with children.

Example: I would like a dynamic element (search) that only contains elements whose Attribute: |Active = True. Since this value changes everyday, I would expect the search…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 64-bit Unix time

Consider upgrading from 32-bit Unix time to 64-bit Unix time so that PI can support dates past January 19, 2038. Reasons:

1. This date is fast approaching as a future value. It is only 20 years away.

2. OSIsoft will need time to implement the 64-bit time stamps and convert all existing and supported PI Data Archives to use the 64-bit time stamps. At least a year of time will be used up for leeway.

3. Once 64-bit Unix time is implemented, then OSIsoft can exclude from training presentations the (very high) upper limit of supported time. This gives the user 1 less…

16 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Normalized view of the Database Security Table

Currently, the Security column in the Database Security Table uses the following notation for its values (example):
    piadmin: A(r,w) | piadmins: A(r,w) | PI Readers: A(r) | PIWorld: A(r)

This crams multiple PI Identities and access types into a single cell.

Consider adding an option to view this table in a more normalized form. That is, split the Security column into PI Identity and Access Type (read or write). This way, we can sort the PI Identify column to group PI Identities together. Then we can easily see which tables a PI Identity has access to rather than visually inspecting…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Auto-balance archive files

The disadvantage of fixed archives is that they cannot grow or shrink. The disadvantage of dynamic archives is that they can potentially grow too much. Merging of small archives and splitting of large archives must be done manually.

To solve this problem, consider making all archives dynamic, but allow the user to specify an acceptable size range for the archive files. If archive files fall out of that range, they can be split or merged automatically.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA/PREVIEW
COMPLETED