PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feature suggestion box. We created this forum to hear your ideas, suggestions and feedback.

Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site! Also vote for your favorite features now! We welcome your feedback.

• NOTE: for bugs, please report to OSIsoft Tech Support at techsupport@osisoft.com rather than entering them on this site.

How can we improve the PI Server?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Summary calculations over event frame range

As a consumer of event frame data, I would like to perform a summary calculation over the duration of an event frame when an event frame closes.  The output should be stored where it can be trended and analyzed.

Note: This was previously Enhancement 109090.

83 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Ability to Configure Display Digits of an Attribute in PI AF

As a PI Coresight user I would like the ability to configure the display digits of an AF attribute so I can control how attribute data is displayed on my PI Coresight displays. Right now, for PI Point data references the display digits must be configured in PI SMT with Point Builder. For any other type of attribute there is no  direct way to configure the display digits.

66 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Ability to create child Events (EFs)

As a power user or admin, I would like the ability to create child events (EFs) or sub events within AF Analytics SO THAT I can migrate EFGen configurations to something that can be applied to a template and not configured by tags and SO THAT my users can analyze finer time periods of events.

Most common trigger behaviors for a child event are:
    * Pulse: values are 0/1 or ON/OFF
    * Step: values change and upon each transition, current in-progress event is closed and a new one is created
    * Step Continuous: An event is also captured in the…

60 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add Covariance and Max-Covariance functions to Asset Analytics

Currently PI ACE calculations are used to verify if the data from redundant sensors is trustworthy. The PI ACE module implements Covariance and Max-Covariance calculations. The customer would like to move from PI ACE to Asset Analytics and is facing the issue that Asset Analytics is corrently not offering any extensibility nor Covariance / Max-Covariance functions. The Attachment describes the desired functions based on the PI ACE code.

The function description is attached with "Correlation Analysis Use Case_public.pdf".
    Things we clarified / detailed more are:

- PI Data Archive doesn't support Array data types and there's not much…

47 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Basic Linear Regression: Slope, Intercept, and R-squared

Wondering if there's interest in basic linear regression calculations, e.g. slope, intercept, R2, to analyze data.
    Sample use cases:

1. Calculate the rate of withdrawal from oil wells to stay within compliance limits
    2. Calculate linear performance curve based on normalized production to normalized energy consumption to determine motors that are failing
    3. Determine when a manufacturing process has reset based on when a slope flattens out
    4. Help operators control plant by looking at slope.  Currently using an Excel spreadsheet that must be constantly refreshed.

The slope and intercept calculations in combination with PI Sever's support for predictive data…

45 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Custom functions for the analysis service

As a developer, I would like the analysis service to support custom functions that I write using AF SDK.

43 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Run analyses in the context event frames (EF)

As a user of asset analytics I would like to have an analysis run on event frame while the event frame is opened / in progress so that I can perfrom real time calculations in the event frame context.

41 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Support different data retention policies

As an administrator, I need to ability to configure the life span of my PI data, so that data are kept or deleted accordingly. For example, data that should be deleted based on corporate mandates and data that should be kept forever are handled accordingly.

Note: This was previously Enhancement 25774OSI8.

39 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Automatic handling of Out-of-order and late arriving data

As a process engineer I have many incoming data streams to my PI Server and not all of those are always reliable. I would like the Analysis Service automatically handle late arriving/Out-of-order data so that I would not need to go and figure out the timeranges to manually recalculate the affected analyses

37 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. PI AF - Event Frame Naming Pattern

The need and desire is there to be able to further customize event frame names via AF Analysis. I would like the ability to name my event from an Attribute value. In my case this would pull in the BatchID and give the event frame a name of 1001, 1002 and so on for new events.

We can do this in Event Frames Generator but it's not ideal when we only need to correct events for one element we end up touching all of them during a restart or backfill. Doing this via Analysis would be a great benefit to…

37 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

STARTED / IN DEVELOPMENT  ·  6 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Provide a way to view calculation dependencies

As a a user of Asset Analytics I want to see the calculation dependencies for an analysis so that I can understand which analyses are dependant on an analysis and view potential circular references

36 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Navigate from output attributes to corresponding analysis

As a user, I'd like to be able to easily find the analysis writing to a particular output attribute.  From the Attributes tab, I should be able to click on an output attribute, then click on a link that brings me directly to the analysis that is writing to it.

34 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

STARTED / IN DEVELOPMENT  ·  1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Easily create periodic event frames

I'd like an easy way of creating periodic event frames (such as hourly), so that the close of one event frame is at the same time as the open of the next.

28 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Support "abstract" templates in AF

There is a need to create "abstract" element templates in AF, and this has been requested several times.

2012: https://pisquare.osisoft.com/message/4172
    2014: https://pisquare.osisoft.com/message/27621#comment-27621
    2017: https://pisquare.osisoft.com/thread/32721-possible-to-define-a-virtual-element-template

An abstract class/template is one that you must create a derived version of yourself, you cannot use it directly. It's a base template, but you want to prevent users from instantiating it directly.

You might implement the general attributes for pumps as an abstract template, but you require users to create a derived template for each pump type they have, and then instantiate an element from that.

28 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. List all Notifications and its subscribers

Managing thousands of notifications can be difficult. There should be an option to export all the notifications and its subscribers. In PI Builder, you can find information about notifications via Contacts and Elements. There should be a direct way to list all the notifications.

27 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Event-Weighted Summary Functions

Allow for Asset Analytics to support event-weighted summary functions (as opposed to time-weighted), such as average and count. This will allow for easily aggregating changes in digital tags, discrete sensor readings (e.g., bucket count), etc. This would allow Asset Analytics to easily perform many of the event-weighted functions of PI Totalizers.

26 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Referencing attributes on other Elements for PI Notifications 2016 Message

Request : Being able to show Attribute values from other Elements other than the attributes on the Referenced Element for the Message in Notification 2016.

Description : From the old version, it was possible for a notification message to display a value not only the target element but also an attribute of other elements (by browsing down elements and selecting the attribute)

In the 2016 version, it does not allow for the user to choose attributes in other elements but only the attributes of the Referenced (or targeted) Element.

The screenshot (Attached file) shows a relative path of an attribute…

24 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Include Trends in Notifications Email

Include a image of trends in the notification email so that the user doesn't need to go to a web page to view the relevant data.

24 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Extensible analytics

As a process engineer I would like to be able to integrate complex specific calculations, such as from a 3rd party analytics engine, so that I can use the Asset Analytics and its context with all the available data and scheduling to run those without needing to do custom heavy development.

23 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Conditional Exit for Analysis Expressions

Sometime you want to do an analyse only when one or more conditions are true, if the are not true you want to exit the analyse, so steps below the conditional exit are not evaluated/executed. The conditional in Analytics should look like:

if condition = true then exit analyse

At the moment this is only possible with the function NoOutput(), but then the mapped attribute should be connected to an PIPoint and you have to fill in a else condition. All rows below the conditional exit will not be executed.

23 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 18 19
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base