PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Support different data retention policies

As an administrator, I need to ability to configure the life span of my PI data, so that data are kept or deleted accordingly. For example, data that should be deleted based on corporate mandates and data that should be kept forever are handled accordingly.

Note: This was previously Enhancement 25774OSI8.

60 votes
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Undelete PI tags

Recovering a PI tag that was deleted accidently is extremly annoying.
    Why do I have to create a new tag and reprocess all historical archives to convert the old tag to the new tag in the archives? (https://techsupport.osisoft.com/Troubleshooting/KB/2651OSI8/)

It should be quite easy to just recreate the original tag if you have the pointid and recno. Maybe when deleting a tag you should only mark the tag as deleted instead of removing it from the pi point table.

28 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Ensure data is identical between collective members

As a PI Administrator, I need to trust that the data is identical between my collective members. Currently, there is no way for me to be sure it is the same unless I do a side by side comparison. Data can be missing, or slightly off, and I have no easy way to understand this right now.

26 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Provide the capability to apply compression on uncompressed data, aka recompress using offline archive utility.  See work item 6944OSI8.

Provide the capability to apply compression on uncompressed data, aka recompress using offline archive utility.  See work item 6944OSI8.

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Add new PIPointAttribute for "StaleTimeout"

While no customers have asked for this directly, I have seen many customers ask how to check a tag for being stale. The solution to date assumes all tags have the same staleness timeout, which really is not the case most of the time.

This new "StaleTimeout" point attribute would be a duration (time span) customizable for each tag. There could also be a new PIPoint property called "IsStale" which could bounce the current value's timestamp off the "StaleTimeout".

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Rick,

We are considering how to implement Data Quality in an upcoming release. A subset of that is if data is stale. If you can help us gather more customer use cases to better document the problem, and help us get a sense of how many customers would benefit from this feature, that would be extremely helpful.

Specifically, what would be very helpful is the requirements customers have to determine when a data point is stale. We are making a serious effort to simplify the management of the PI System, so we would like to be able to avoid asking users to spend time configuring yet another parameter.

6. Add flag for offline archive reprocessing to honor archived digital state values

If a tag is edited to use a new digital state set, this set will be used for all future data even though the previous state set is still used for historical data.  If a historical archive (prior to editing the digital state set used by the point) is reprocessed, the events within the archive will be coerced to the new digital state set.  This can be very confusing if the archived data is intended to be the old digital state set.

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Force Shift warning is misleading

When force shifting an archive, the following message is displayed:

"Warning: This shift will clear data from the target archive. Are you sure you want to force an archive shift on <serverName> to a new archive?"

When Auto Archive Creation is enabled (having a value in Archive_AutoArchiveFileRoot), this is very misleading. A new archive will be generated and no data will be wiped.

This warning should only display if auto archive creation is not enabled and the archive will shift into the oldest shiftable archive.

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Provide more granular configuration for default ACLs

As a PI Administrator of a PI System with complex security requirements, I need to set up different default permissions for various users so they can create tags that automatically have the proper security instead of having to rely on a process/procedure to correct security after the tags are built.

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Make it easier to get a list of buffered or unbuffered points on the PI Data Archive

For PI System Administrators, it would be nice to be able to easily get a list of all buffered or unbuffered points on the PI Data Archive.

Currently, a list of buffered points is possible to retrieve using 'piartool -bfs <id> -ptlist', but a comprehensive list would require iterating through all of the buffered sources.

Such functionality would be nice because it would allow administrators to easily identify which data sources need to be configured for buffering, or which data sources are possibly misconfigured for buffering. It would also be a quick thing to check for points which may potentially…

12 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 64-bit Unix time

Consider upgrading from 32-bit Unix time to 64-bit Unix time so that PI can support dates past January 19, 2038. Reasons:

1. This date is fast approaching as a future value. It is only 20 years away.

2. OSIsoft will need time to implement the 64-bit time stamps and convert all existing and supported PI Data Archives to use the 64-bit time stamps. At least a year of time will be used up for leeway.

3. Once 64-bit Unix time is implemented, then OSIsoft can exclude from training presentations the (very high) upper limit of supported time. This gives the…

12 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Powershell PIArchive.Reprocess

A powershell method for reprocessing PI Archve Files.

$myPIArchive = Get-PIArchiveFileInfo -Connection $myPi -Name "someArchiveFile"

$myPIArchive.ReprocessArchive -NewFileName $false|"filename" -Type Dynamic|Fixed -OtherCoolOptions

Reading data from a reprocessed archive is significantly faster, so I am adding this as a maintenance-task currently using
    cmd /c "%PISERVER%\bin\piarcss.exe -if old -of new"
    (For some reason start-process didn't work for me)

I would also love a $myPIArchive.LastReprocessedTime for housekeeping. I am currently storing that in a separate hashtable.

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add Access Right that Allow Users to Create Tags But Not Delete Tags

As a user of the PI Data Archive, I would like the ability to give users access to create tags but not to be able to delete tags. This way they will not be able to accidentally delete tags but they still have the ability to create tags.

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Support storing data quality

As a user I want to be able to collect, store and analyze quality information associated with real-time events and assets. This feature will allow the user to determine the trustworthiness of the data when decisions are made.

Note: This was previously Enhancement 161240.

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Incremental backups are not possible because of frequent backfilling

Occasional back filling of data would cause 5 TB of archives to be backed up with incremental backups. This is frustrating because only a few KB of data is changed in each archive. Can OSIsoft provide a way to backup only the data that has changed or support a 3rd party backup solution that would backup only the differences?

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. PI Data Archive: Improve piarchss performance

PI Archive Subsystem should be able to use operating memory more efficiently. For example by loading as many non-primary archives into its process memory as possible (perhaps it could be affected by a user setting).

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Could you please provide more details and examples of what you want to do? The Archive Subsystem already manages the files in memory, and in the file system cache. So, what are your specific situations where you see inefficient memory usage today?

16. 2 factor authentication

As a user, I would like PI Data Archive to provide 2 factor authentication.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Support User Information in Connection History Tool

(pidiag -connectionhistory)

Support the collection and retrieval of PI / Windows user information by the connection history database.  

Currently, the connection history database only stores IP addresses which can be misleading when multiple multiple users work from the same computer.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Allow bi-temporal data archiving

PI DA Server should allow for more flexibility in terms of the format of archived data. A big advantage would be if PI could archive two timestamps per event. One timestamp will come from whatever the data source is (PI Interfaces, fiels devices, etc) - this is effectively what PI has now. In addition to that, PI Should be able to add a second timestamp recording when the event got into PI i.e. when either PI Snapshot or Archive Subsystem saw the event coming in their respective queue. Benefits and use cases:
    - any PI Client could make sure it…

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 2 timestamps for future data tags

Currently, if you want to store predictions for 1 day, 2 days, 3 days, etc. into the future, you must create a different PI tag for each distance into the future.

Future data tags should support 2 timestamps: the timestamp that the predicted value applies to and the timestamp of when the prediction was made.

The additional continuous time dimension will make it much easier to analyze the change in accuracy of prediction as the distance into the future changes.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Ability to Identify Critical (e.g. GxP) PI Tag in SMT

A checkbox or some mechanism to identify Critical data point (e.g GxP) in SMT.
    * can be used for search filter to separate critical vs. non-critical data (gxp vs non-gxp)
    * possible additional layer of confirmation/prompt prior deletion (?)

Current workarounds :
    using prefix/suffix to flag critical data point,using point source to separate,creating logical categories in AF, etc.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED