PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Dynamically send Notifications to different users based on a PI tag or attribute value

As a receiver of PI Notifications, I want to only receive notifications that apply to me, so that important alarms are not lost in a sea of emails

Be able to target the stakeholder(s) of a PI notification.  For example, if there is an attribute named "Lead Investigator Email" that contains the email address of the engineer in charge of the current experiment in a piece of equipment, send the PI notification to the email contained in that attribute.  Also be able to cc other stakeholders that could be a combination of dynamic and static email addresses.

17 votes
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Ability to send test notifications to a specific user when configuring a notification

I would like to be able to send a test notification to specific users when configuring notifications.

17 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Event Frame Rollup

It would be extremely useful to have AF Analyses within an Event Frame. The particular use case I have in mind is rolling up child Event frames to a parent.

17 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. EventCount() with value filter

Currently EventCount() returns the number of values that a particular attribute contains for given time range.  However, there is no way to have an attribute value filter. 

Use case: I want to be able to easily count the number of times my state tag = "Fault" for the past month. Adding a value filter to the EventCount() function, like TimeEq() has, would allow me to do this.

16 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is now possible with the analysis arrays and associated functions introduced with the AF 2018 release. Specifically, you can now use the RecordedValues() or RecordedValuesByCount() function along with the FilterData() function to accomplish this request.

5. Recipients of Notification able to see all recipients

Everyone who received notification can view other recipients of email notification in "To:" field.

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Exclude analysis function

On PSE we have the possibility to exclude some attributes.
    Right click on an attribute > properties: "Excluded".

To stay consistent, it would be useful to have the same feature for Analysis.

Thank you

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Display XY Plots and Events table data in Notifications embedded PI Vision screenshot

When Notifications e-mails are configured to include a screenshot of a PI Vision display, the screenshot will show blanks where the data should appear. This is due to a limitation of Phantom JS, the browser used to render the screenshots, which does not support Negotiate (Kerberos/NTLM) for authentication. XY Plot and Events table data require Kerberos authentication since they are supplied by PI Web API. This can also happen with other PI Vision symbols if Negotiate is the only provider listed in IIS for Windows authentication.

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Choose the timestamp output for an analysis based on a variable of calc

So far, we have the ability to choose an option among: "Trigger Time", "Execution Time" and "Relative to Trigger Time" for the output Timestamp.
    I'd like to have other option based on a variable type timestamp a the same analysis.
    I uploaded a draft view... ;-)

here is the original thread link: https://pisquare.osisoft.com/thread/11178

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

COMPLETED  ·  0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Standard Round Function in Asset-Analytics

The current function "Round()" implements banker's rounding. User's would also like a function that implements standard rounding.

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Scheduled archive shifts

As a PI Administrator I want the archive shifts to happen on a schedule so that the time duration of the archives is predictable and makes archive management between collective members easier. This feature will eliminate the uncertainty around archive shifts but will require a flexible archive size.

Note: This was previously Enhancement 25788OSI8.

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Provide mechanism to convert PE's to Analytics

As a PI System Administrator, I need a method for converting PE's to AF analyses.

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Define UOMs for outputs

As a Process Engineer I want to specify UoMs so that calculation will write the correct value back to attributes that are stored in different UOM or don't have UOM defined

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Enable authentication headers for SOAP and REST Web Service Notifications

There's no way to configure headers for Notification Rules associated with a PI AF Services v2017 SP1 Elements with a SOAP or REST Web Service Endpoint.  Authenticated web services, such as our company's Maximo's meter data inbound service requires a MAXAUTH header with a base64-encrypted username:password string.  As a result, you can't use PI as a source of data for Maximo's condition-based maintenance triggers and automated asset meter reading updates, if Maximo uses authentication on its web services.  That's a fairly common scenario with a high rate of return on the PI-Maximo integration efforts for a lot of customers.

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Allow changing element reference types in PI Builder

PI Builder should allow changing element reference types. Currently, changes to element reference types are skipped when published in PI Builder.

12 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PI Builder  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. RecNo object type option on PI Builder

On current PI Builder 2018 there is no option to select the RecNo attribute for a PI point by default.

For instance, this would be helpful to recover deleted points such as we do with piconfig command. I would like to see if it would be possible to include this option on a future version of PI Builder.

Note: I know we can enable the "recno" object type by typing it out on the header as explained on "KB01413 - Importing Attributes for a Given List of Tags Using PI Builder" but it would be good to have this option…

11 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PI Builder  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. PI System Explorer should not jump between attributes when a field is selected for editing

In PI System Explorer, if you double click on an attributes Name (or Value fields when the value type is string), it highlights the contained text to show it is being edited. If you start typing, it will replace the existing text, and the Home and End keys work as expected (jump to beginning/end of field). However, if you double click the field and press Home or End without typing, it instead jumps to the beginning/end of the attribute list. I would expect that, if a field is being edited, the Home and End keys work as usual. Due to…

11 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Moving Average / Moving weighted average FUNCTION in AF Analysis

our customer wants to have a moving average / moving weighted average function available in AF analysis.

So far they are using the prevevent and prevval functions.

However with more samples the formula gets too long.

11 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Event Frame summaries

As an user, I want to be able to get summaries of an event frame such as count, total duration, total of event frame attributes so that I can characterize the event.

11 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Configurable default Attribute ConfigString

Right now, when you create an attribute in a template and assign it a Data Reference of PI Point, it defaults to a ConfigString of "\%Server%\%Attribute%". %Server% has some known administrative headaches because what it populates as is dependent on the default server of the client tool.  But in our company we are constantly switching between environments and this causes mismatches.

As recommended by OSI we have created an attribute in the root AF element called Server and gave it a string value of the name of our server.  Now when we create a new attribute we map a reference…

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
TELL US MORE
EVALUATING
PLANNED
IN DEVELOPMENT
COMPLETED
DECLINED