PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Notification e-mail delivery channel to accept multiple email address in a single enpoint

In AF Service 2017 R2, Notification no longer supports multiple e-mail addresses delimited by comma (,) or semicolon (;) to be added in a single delivery endpoint. If we do so, it will only send an e-mail only to the first recipient.

The workaround is to create each contacts and tie them in a group.

However, there is a case where the customer wants to include all the e-mail addresses of the recipients on the "TO" field so that the recipients can know who are getting the e-mail.

If we create a group and add endpoints, each recipients only see…

10 votes
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Event Frame Generation for Step Changes

There does not seem to be a clear and concise way to trigger a new event frame (and end an old one) based on a step change in a tag. For example, if we had a tag, PHASE, that changed every time we entered a  new phase and remained at that value, I would like to end a previous EF and start a new EF anytime that tag changed. Currently, even with performance equations, there doesn't seem to be a clear way of doing this with an EF Analysis. You can do it with the EF generator interface, but it…

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. PI Analysis: Auto-backfill should not skip analyses - ones that hasn't had an new value in a while (72+hrs)

Whenever the PI Analysis Service is restarted, the auto-backfill feature (if enabled) kicks in, and backfills any gaps from the downtime.

However, the analysis service will not auto-backfill analyses that haven't been updated in the last 72 hours. This leads to a potential risk that any analysis that doesn't write data more frequently than every 72 hours, will potentially not auto-backfill upon a restart of the PI Analysis Service.

Although the value of "MaximumAllowedAutoBackfillingSpanInHours" can be changed, this is not a suitable solution.

Such analyses (that were not auto-backfilled) can still be backfilled manually, but this presents a manageability problem.

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Future Plans for Notifications High Availability?

General Query:

What are the future plans for High Availability of PI Notifications.

To my understanding, the only option providing seamless failover is to utilise a Windows Server Failover Cluster, with high performance Shared Storage to hold the Notifications RunTime files.

Are there any plans to make Notifications stateless, and store all data in SQL, where SQL AlwaysOn Availability groups can be utilised?

Feedback much appreciated.

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. AF Analysis Function to Check for PI Point Existence

As a wide-scale analytics user, I  would like for there to be a function to check  if a PI Point exists. I have an element template that I use to represent a large number of assets. Some of these assets do not have PI-point based attributes that others do. In these cases, the analyses that  reference these attributes will fail because the points do not exist. If there was a way to check for the existence of these points, then I could utilize that in a conditional statement to  allow the analysis to output properly in the case of a…

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Improve the AFDatabase security model

Please remove the database level write access requirement to modify objects below the database level. This will:

1. Prevent users who should only have subobject write access from modifying the database.

2. Make the security model more intuitive for our users. If you want to edit ElementA, you need write access to just ElementA.

Although the current model provides a quick mechanism to shut off write access, I can already achieve this by reassigning user identities.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. PI AF Audit Trail: Option to exclude certain (tchnical interface) users from being audited

PI AF Audit Trail: Option to exclude certain (technical interface) users from being audited

Currently the only option for AF Server is to activate or disable audit trail. In our scenario most data is written by interfaces via SDK Calls. This leads to a very large audit trail and to 99% Audit Trail data that is not required (hard to find the human entries).

It would be helpful if a list of users could be configured that will not be audited.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow import of PI Identities, PI Users, and PI Groups similar to the functionality present for the PI Mappings and PI Trust table.

As a PI system administrator, I would like the ability to import PI Identities, PI Users, and PI Groups via SMT because I need an easy way to push changes in the security configuration on my development nodes to my production nodes.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

While the original request was for PI SMT, this capability is now available via PI Builder. With that, I’m going to mark this suggestion as Completed. If for some reason you need this capability specifically in PI SMT, please add your comment.

9. Correlation Coefficient

It will be great if we have built-in function for correlation coefficient in Asset Analytics, similarly as it is in ProcessBook in xy plots. This would enable us to quickly get estimate on correlation of two variables.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Event-Trigger by archive data

Currently the Event-Trigger of an analysis works only with data from the snapshot. For my use cases it is necessary to trigger analysis from events in the data archive. This is not possible at the moment. Ideally I would like to configure for each event-triggered analysis separately if it should be triggered by snapshot data and/or archive data.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Make email distribution lists searchable in Contacts (AF)

In PSE Contacts pane, allow email distribution lists to be searched/added in Contacts. (Currently only individual emails and Active Directory groups can be added)

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Preview Results should remember the start and end time

As part of debugging, sometimes I use Preview Results (which is available from right-clicking on an analysis), make some changes, and then use Preview Results again.

It would be useful if PI System Explorer would remember the start and end times that I most recently entered in Preview Results. Then it can forget them once PI System Explorer is closed.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. AF Tag Search, such as found in PI Builder, Should Show Snapshot Data

In Tag Configurator and PI SMT plug in.  Users are able to hover over tag search results to display the tag's snapshot data.

PI Builder should have the same functionality.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Allow connecting to the SMTP server with anonymous credentials

Allow Notifications to connect to the SMTP server with Anonymous Authentication

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. The permissions at the EF level are derived from template, want to configure AF security for permission of EF level only.

Want to configure AF security that will allow an AF Identity to rename Event Frames once they have been generated, but do not want this Identity to be able to modify the Event Frame Template that the Event Frame is based on. The permissions at the EF level are derived from their associated template. This is stated in the following documentation:
    https://livelibrary.osisoft.com/LiveLibrary/content/en/server-v11/GUID-B1D6E6F0-8F1E-401D-8574-92BE6DF31A9F

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The security on the created Event Frames is controlled by the template’s ReadData and WriteData security settings. For your use case, you would configure the template’s security for the identity to NOT have Write permission and to have both ReadData and WriteData permissions.

The documentation in the AF SDK’s help for AFSecurity class has more information: https://techsupport.osisoft.com/Documentation/PI-AF-SDK/html/T_OSIsoft_AF_AFSecurity.htm

16. Make documentation for IN function more clear

The documentation for the IN function is somewhat unclear. The function definition shows examples such as:
    IN(number x, number y1, ... yn)
    and
    IN(number x, y1...yn)

Whereas it's usage is:
    x IN (y1, ... yn)
    and
    x IN (y1...yn)
    respectively

This is confusing as x does not appear in the function arguments.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Filter out uniqueid and GUID strings from analysis rules when exporting analysis templates

When exporting Analysis Templates to excel with PI Builder, the AnalysisRuleVariableMapping and the AnalysisRuleConfigString normally includes uniqueid and GUID of the input and output attributes.

It would be nice to have the possibility to filter them out when exporting, so we don't have to remove those manually when we want to reuse the rules in some other analyses.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PI Builder  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

PI Server 2018 has been released. The XML export/import allows you to exclude the GUIDs. PI Builder support is forthcoming in the 2018 R2 release. If you wish to keep this suggestion open until then, please let me know.

18. PI AF Audit Trail to include export functionality

As someone with an extremely large Audit Trail, I would like the ability to export this data to a file as the viewer in PSE does not give me enough freedom to consume large quantities of audit data.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Allow explicitly defined credentials to be passed by Notifications to the SMTP server

As an administrator of Notifications, I would like to be able to explicitly define the credentials passed to the SMTP server because it would enable easier cross-domain configuration.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Ability to add Category to elements that do not have "Allow Extensions" set in their template

As a user, I want to be able to add Category to my elements in an adhoc fashion without having to be constraint by the element template, so that I can easily distinguish between elements created from the same template.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
TELL US MORE
EVALUATING
PLANNED
IN DEVELOPMENT
COMPLETED
DECLINED