PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ability to track source of AF created PI tag to it's origin (dB/element/attribute/analysis)

I have thousands of tags based on AF analysis, both auto created by AF and some which have been converted from ACE, PE, Totalizers to AF.

Looking at the tags in Point Builder, DataLink, or SMT I am able to tell by Point Source that the tag is calculated in AF.  But where?  We use a single AF database for our SCADA, AMI, and Generation groups so browsing for an analysis is quite time consuming.

It would be nice to have a PI Tag attribute that would show the "path" to the analysis.  \Database\Element\Child\Child\Attribute\Analysis and that this information could easily…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Trigger an event frame each day on a specific trigger

I would like to trigger an event frame on a PI Point, however, that trigger may last for several days. During that time I would like the event frame to close at midnight and automatically reopen a new event frame for my event driven event frame.

Here is an example: Pretend you are measuring the outside air temperature, you want your trigger to trigger when it goes above 50F, chances are your event frame could go on for days before it drops below 50F. Instead of it to go on for days I want a new event frame to create…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. "Quick watch" function for analyses

While creating and/or debugging analyses in PI System Explorer, I would like to have available an instant evaluation dialog.

This would be something I can bring up empty, and start typing (if in template, use the context of the currently selected Example Element) to evaluate a formula.

If I right click a formula or expression already placed in a variable I would like to see "Evaluate in Instant Window" or "Evaluate instantly", where the dialog is brought up with that text pre-defined. If the expression you right clicked contains time expressions (such as start time, end time) I would like…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

ANSWERED  ·  4 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Wave Form Data Collection

A few customers would like the capability of storing vibration wave form data in PI. They often measure data in MHz and GHz frequencies, which are at a finer resolution that the PI Data Archive is capable of storing. The wave forms are captured over periods from 2 to 30 seconds and only saved if there is an interesting event.

Customers in data centers are also requesting power quality wave form storage in PI.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

ANSWERED  ·  1 comment  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

ANSWERED  ·  1 comment  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. compatibility

the compatibility of products (e.g. Data Archive with PI AF) is not straightforward. e.g. regarding to documentation (release notes, Instal-guides) it's possible to combine Dataarchive 2012 with AF 2017-R2. and indeed it's possible to use it in combination, but the installation is requiring the following steps:

• Install AF Server 2017 R2

• Install AF Client 2017 R2 on Dataarchive Server

• Uninstall PI Network Subsystem on Dataarchive Server

• Install PI Server 2012 (Dataarchive)

• Install AF Client 2017 R2 on Dataarchive Server

• Perform MDB to AF migration

thats not straight forward and should be mentioned in the documentation (list the restrictions / requirements).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is a case of forward/backwards compatibility. It’s typically not possible to account for forward compatibility but as a general rule we provide backwards compatibility when possible. In this scenario, since AF 2017 R2 is newer than Data Archive 2012, you should first install Data Archive 2012 first, then install AF 2017 R2 and the backwards compatibility built into the upgrade process would take care of the PI Network Subsystem dependency.

7. Better handling of bulk deletion of open event frames

I have a case with a customer who would like Notifications/Analyses to better handle situations where opened event frames are deleted in bulk. From the case, this process can cause Notifications to get in a bad state and cause a temporary delay in emails being sent out if backfilling is occuring in parallel. Customer would like this process to be improved.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Be able to perform silent installs with different silent.ini file path

I have a customer who would like to perform silent installs and be able to specify a different file path for the silent.ini file. Currently the silent installs only work if the unzipped setup kit is all in one folder.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

ANSWERED  ·  0 comments  ·  Installation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. pisrvstart and pisrvstop scripts should have pilogsrvX64

pisrvstart.bat and pisrvstop.bat scripts should have "pilogsrvX64" added to them.  Currently all services except the "PIPC Log Server x64" are started/stopped by these scripts.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This log service is used by 64 bit application that loads the PI API. The most common being 64 bit PI Interfaces. Therefore if you have 64 bit PI API based applications, these scripts should start/stop the service for you. Please contact tech support if you have these applications and pilogsrvx64 is not in your pisrvstart and pisrvstop scripts.

As a side note, recent releases of the PI Server implements virtual service accounts for all the Data Archive related services so please consider it for an upgrade.

10. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

ANSWERED  ·  1 comment  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
1 3 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
TELL US MORE
EVALUATING
PLANNED
IN DEVELOPMENT
COMPLETED
DECLINED