PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Improve table lookup to allow both blanks and units

I am trying to pull control limits for many different types of measurements from a single table. Some control limits do not have a high limit and others do not have a low limit but I do not want a blank to be recognized as zero because that is misleading. The only solution I am aware of currently is to assign the values in the table as strings but read them as singles at the attribute. Values that are not a number are then read as "No Data".

Although, this creates another issue in that these strings that are read…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Support Microsoft Company Portal

We have rolled out Microsoft Company Portal via InTune for many programs internally, it really reduces the load on our IT Service Desk. OSIsoft client applications like PI AF Client, PI Datalink should be easy to integrate with Microsoft Company Portal so that end users can easily install these

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. General Feedback

Hello,

I don't see any roadmap from OSIsoft/AVEVA for the currently supported products. Looks like OSIsoft decided collect SRP for the existing OSIsoft software products and promote only the AVEVA products.

Thanks,
    Subburaman Sankaran

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Extend existing Notify Options for a group if a delivery endpoint is added

If a new delivery point is added to a group, the existing notify options for the existing members of the group are not extended to the member. And with many AF databases, templates, notifications - having to find them and change them in PI Builder - not really a workable option.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. stateless http request in notification (REST not WS)

To push data to another system (here to our MES), we would like to execute by a notification an http request e.g. as composed by JSON (POST) or URI-Builder (GET), but not as a WebService (upgrade: websocket). Just using a simple stateless http-request. This opens up the possibility to push information to many other systems e.g. using apache with cgi-bin. The implementation effort on your side should be very small, because it's easier than a WS you already have. One thing I tried is to switch off by (re)setting the http header CONNECT and UPGRADE, but this is not possible…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Display multiple attributes on same graph for Event Frames

We would like to be able to display multiple attributes on the same graph for Event Frames. For example: For a given event frame, I am collecting data associated with ph control. Therefore when looking at graph for a certain event frame I would like to display pH setpoint, and pH.pv on the same graph for multiple batches. Currently event frame graphs are limited to only showing one attribute per graph. This is a feature that processbook handles quite easily, although not using event frames.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add dynamic number of Attributes in AF Element Template

Currently it is impossible to create AF Element Template that has dynamic number of Attributes. Example scenarios I have been struggling with are focused on monitoring:
    - monitoring many virtual servers with checking available free storage on each disk - each server may have from 2 up to 10 disks
    - monitoring of PI OPC Interfaces - some are single interfaces, some in failover which affects a number of machines, heartbeat points etc.

Alternative solution would be to allow Element Template to be created with a group of sub elements in number depending on certain conditions. For one of my…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Do not require permission to PIPOINT if the permission is already covered by Point Security or Data Security

https://docs.osisoft.com/bundle/pi-server/page/permissions-required-for-tasks.html

According to the documentation linked above, when permission to Point Security or Data Security is required, the same permission to PIPOINT is also required. This is redundant. The only times that PIPOINT security is used non-redundantly are to determine who has permission to create new PI Points and to assign default permissions to new PI Points. This last point creates a security issue: if a user needs permissions to only a few existing PI Points, then they need the same permissions to PIPOINT, which will give them the same permissions to new PI Points by default.

Please make the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Value Retrieval Method should read integer value of Digital tag, not string

If you try to do Value Retrieval Method (like Min) of a Digital type tag, you will get an error saying non-numeric data. AF should be smart enough to realize that the data is actually a set of integers and not try to read the string representation.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Bring "old" data archive into ultra fast and seamless database system

Please do away with archaic pi archive file system with non-seamless begin/end dates to sql that runs on a ultra-powerhouse database server capturing always available, never-ending data.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Method to backup and restore PI Points only

The PI backup tools currently do not have a method to backup only the files related to PI Points. The purpose of this would be to refresh the point table on a QA system from a production system. The current PI backup method is all or nothing.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Translate the descriptions of functions in PI System Explorer

See the attached picture. The picture also reveals other parts of PI System Explorer that are not translated. The picture and the idea for this suggestion come from https://pisquare.osisoft.com/s/feed/0D58W00006XNrBuSAL.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. AF Element status changes the element icon in PI System Explorer

As an AF designer I often have attributes indicating whether an element is enabled or disabled, this could be referring to a piece of equipment taken out of service, or a configuration element indicating a process is deactivated. The attribute is typically a boolean attribute, and I spent a lot of time going from one element to the next in order to disable or enable it, during operation and testing. It would be really helpful if I could tie this "Enabled" status attribute value to the icon PSE shows for an element, in order to quickly identify the elements which…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Enable suppression of certain error messages in HABConnect interface

Related to this article: https://customers.osisoft.com/s/knowledgearticle?knowledgeArticleUrl=000031389

I may have keys that are all spaces, and this may result in constant logging of the following error upon every database refresh (determined by /RATE in pihc.ini):

List <location 4 value>, searchForKey found invalid length key.

It may be hard to concoct a KEY wildcard that results in only the keys I desire, so using * as the wildcard, I am unable to prevent these all-space keys from being returned. As a result, the pipc/pisdk logs get flooded with these messages on each db refresh. As a user, I would like an option to…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Allow any PI Identity to be assigned write permission to PIDBSEC

By my understanding, only the PI User piadmin and the PI Group piadmins can ever have write access to the Database Security table PIDBSEC, and any write permissions to it assigned to any other PI User, PI Group, or PI Identity is ignored. However, PI Users and PI Groups are deprecated, and the use of piadmin is discouraged.

Please allow any PI User, PI Group, or PI Identity to be assigned write permission to PIDBSEC, just like the other Database Security tables, so then we can finally stop using PI Users and PI Groups and use only PI Identities.

The…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Multiple AF Attribute reason

Looking for a way to have multiple reason types for AF attributes.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. follow Display Digits on the PSE Pop-up Trends

large value display as 1.23 E+008 format instead of the orginal value in PSE Pop-up Trends

if the trend can follow display digits, it will not show scientific nonations

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add support for multi-dimensional array parameters in SOAP delivery endpoints

Currently, while the UI can recognize parameter types as multi-dimensional arrays, the configuration UI for a Notification Rule does not allow access beyond the first array dimension.

It would be useful to have full support for parameters configured as multi-dimensional arrays (i.e "MyType[][]") in addition to the exsisting support for 1-dimensional arrays ("MyType[]")

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Connect PI AF to Industry-standard physical properties databases

Can PI AF be connected to physical properties databases (libraries) such as AIChE Dippr or Aveva Thermo or others in order to programmatically call for physical properties data in realtime. (Centralize calcs in AF)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. PSE Analysis Preview Results to indicate the origin of the event times

In PI System Explorer, when using the Preview Results function for analyses, I want the dialog to indicate which of the input attributes the current timestamp originates from.

Example: Two inputs with update frequency 1 min, Input1 without offset and Input2 with offset 00:00:30. In my Preview Results dialog I will see timestamps 12:00:00, 12:00:30, 12:01:00, 12:01:30, etc. for an analysis triggering from these two inputs. When hovering the generated timestamp I want to see if this originates from Input1 or Input2 (or both).

This is, of course, a simplified example, but in the real world I would typically have…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
TELL US MORE
EVALUATING
PLANNED
IN DEVELOPMENT
COMPLETED
DECLINED