PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Delay Real-Time Calculations until backfill is finished.

For recursive Analyses such as below :
    PrevVal(tagA,'*') + 'TagB' → output : tagA

When the PI Analysis Service is down (or the node needs to be restarted), the current calculation needs to be halted until the Backfilling reaches up to the start up time. Or else the value will not be as expected.

17 votes
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Ability to override analysis in a derived template

When i create a derived Element Template, i would like to be able to override an inherited analysis. Now i am severly limited in the re-use of templates due to this limitation. I cannot extend nor exclude functionality in a derived template if this is used in an analysis, because i cannot adapt the inherited analysis.

This is similar to https://feedback.osisoft.com/forums/555148-pi-server/suggestions/17865355-exclude-analysis-function
    but the two would complement each other quite well

16 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Scheduled backfilling for a specific time frame on analyses

Add the capability to perform scheduled backfills for a specific time frame, for analyses created on PI System Explorer.

16 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Notifications for events in the past

Currently notifications are not triggered (send) by events that are more than 72 hours in the past. For me it is necessary to get notifications from events in the (endless) past. Ideally I would like to configure for each notification separately the time range (from now on backwards) in which the notification should be triggered.

16 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. It would be great to have the ability to hide the Event Frame End Time in the Notification Email When a Notification Triggers

It would be great to have the ability to hide the Event Frame End Time in the Notification Email when the notification first triggers.
    At this time, and End Time of 12/31/9999 11:59:59 PM Central Standard Time (GMT-06:00:00) is displayed even though an event is not closed.
    Note: in this case notifications have been set up to send at Event Start and End Time.

16 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow exclusion of message types when searching PI Message logs

As a PI System administator of a busy PI Data Archive, I find that my message logs are unwieldy. I can miss important messages in the flood of connection messages and other repetitive messages. I would like to be able to search my message logs while excluding certain message types (like in Event Viewer). For example, I would like to be able to run a query that excludes connection messages from pinetmgr and "User query failed" messages so I can quickly narrow in the problem I'm looking for.

Filtering on severity has proven an imperfect solution because sometimes important messages…

16 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have de-prioritized this work in order to focus our efforts in other areas. This will remain in our longer term backlog. Please continue to provide your feedback to help us continually re-validate and re-prioritize our backlog.

7. Option to not capture value for event frames generation

As an engineer I need the option to not capture values for event frames generation so that if I have out-of-order events, I don't have to recapture the values.

Note: This was previously Enhancement 114349.

16 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Provide the capability to apply compression on uncompressed data, aka recompress using offline archive utility.  See work item 6944OSI8.

Provide the capability to apply compression on uncompressed data, aka recompress using offline archive utility.  See work item 6944OSI8.

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Improve search Capabilities of Management Tab

A few minor improvements to the search and filtering capabilities of the management tab could save time when doing backfills at scale - for example after transferring several elements from a development server.  If possible the following search capabilities could be very useful:
    -Improve search by template: Currently when searching by template every analysis will be listed and in alphabetical order by analysis - not template name which makes it difficult to search. It could be helpful if it were possible to choose one template and every analysis associated with that template would be included.  At the very least, adjust…

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Event Frames & Notifications

Event frames are pretty powerful and mark the start and end of events. We use Event Frames to mark when we are in and out of compliance in regards to certain regulations. We would like the capability to create Notifications that triggers every X amount of days that sends the start and end times for a specified event frame for a designated date range.

Example - Email triggered every 90 days.

SUBJECT - $Event Framework Name$
    Dear Compliance,
    The following dates were when the PI system marked events and we were out of compliance.
    Event Frame Name: Transformer…

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Allow different naming for Parent and Child Event Frames

Allow a different naming pattern for the child event frames. End result would have the long, uniquely named EFs in the Parent EF as usual, but the Child EFs could have a simplified name, like the level of an alarm that is pulled from an attribute value (capable as of AF 2017 R2).

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow Max Rollup to provide AF Element-attribute

Using the Max Rollup function - I would like to know which element provided the maximum value and output this as well so I can historize the information.

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Event Frames search across AF databases.

We've several PI servers and AF servers where same products are running, so we need the ability to search Event Frames across our AF databases to compare production performance. This search ability should be available in all clients; PI Vision, DataLink etc.

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Search Mappings and Trusts in SMT

We have hundreds of mappings/trusts in SMT and there's no way to search them (apart from exporting it all to Excel, and searching there, then going back to SMT to make necessary changes - not user friendly). There needs to be a basic search bar at the top of that panel, and it should search all fields (except server and collective) in whatever tab has focus (mappings or trusts). 

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Event Frame (EF) Linking

Ability to link Event Frames coming in from different sources (batch & mes interfaces, EFgen, PI Analytics, custom, etc.) together based on rules and monitoring an EF attribute SO THAT it's easier to associate time frame context and data that is related together but come from different sources.

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Variable True For parameter for Event Frame Analyses

As an AF Administrator, I want to configure an Analysis Template for Event Frames with a True For parameter that would have it's value stored in an AF Attribute (configuration item). The use case is that elements built from the template will have Event Frames that will require a different True For value. I would like to have the analysis both base off a template and with the possibility of having different True For values. It would also be nice to have a True For parameter for the End Time. This is already a request:

https://feedback.osisoft.com/forums/555148-pi-server/suggestions/17648182-event-frame-end-trigger-time-true-functionality

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Propagate renames of event frame generation analyses to the notification rules

Currently, if an event frame generation analysis is renamed, all notifications rules that use it will display an error message, saying that the event frame generation analysis might have been renamed or deleted.

This message is fine for deletions, but it would be much more user-friendly if the notification rules were to automatically update to reflect the rename of the event frame generation analysis.

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Support string values in formula data references

Formula data references do not support string value type attributes (e.g. if stringattribute="Yes" then "X" else "Y"). One workaround is to create an analysis on the element template with the same logic mapped to an attribute on the element template. In certain cases, however, an analysis will not work.

For example, for an event frame with manually-entered string data individual to each event frame that then determines the value of another event frame attribute based on IF/THEN logic), we need this value to be calculated per event frame and not on the element.

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Move Auditviewer function away from local PI System access

I want to run the Auditviewer function as a unprivileged remote user, moving away from the current requirement to run as a local user on the PI Data Archive Server.  This is so I can minimize security risk associated with local user access on a Windows server.

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Add new PIPointAttribute for "StaleTimeout"

While no customers have asked for this directly, I have seen many customers ask how to check a tag for being stale. The solution to date assumes all tags have the same staleness timeout, which really is not the case most of the time.

This new "StaleTimeout" point attribute would be a duration (time span) customizable for each tag. There could also be a new PIPoint property called "IsStale" which could bounce the current value's timestamp off the "StaleTimeout".

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Rick,

We are considering how to implement Data Quality in an upcoming release. A subset of that is if data is stale. If you can help us gather more customer use cases to better document the problem, and help us get a sense of how many customers would benefit from this feature, that would be extremely helpful.

Specifically, what would be very helpful is the requirements customers have to determine when a data point is stale. We are making a serious effort to simplify the management of the PI System, so we would like to be able to avoid asking users to spend time configuring yet another parameter.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED