PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Limit element creation using reference types

I’m designing an AF database where we want most things to be correctly set up and planned on the template side, so that end-users can create the AF content later. One of the functionalities I use is creating my own reference types i PI System Explorer, and it works as expected when I define that elements from TemplateB can only be created below elements from TemplateA.

Example: I want to make sure that the only element below “Oil Well with MPFM” is the actual “MPFM”.

I want to make sure that AF designers follow the rules I've set, to keep…

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Possibility to change units of template based attributes

I have template based elements including analysis that can be used for calculations with a variety of units (tonnes, MWh,...). So it would be great to have the possibility to change the units of template based attributes. At the moment they are fixed to the template.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Make it easier to get a list of buffered or unbuffered points on the PI Data Archive

For PI System Administrators, it would be nice to be able to easily get a list of all buffered or unbuffered points on the PI Data Archive.

Currently, a list of buffered points is possible to retrieve using 'piartool -bfs <id> -ptlist', but a comprehensive list would require iterating through all of the buffered sources.

Such functionality would be nice because it would allow administrators to easily identify which data sources need to be configured for buffering, or which data sources are possibly misconfigured for buffering. It would also be a quick thing to check for points which may potentially…

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Use Excel tables to contain PI Builder data

PI Builder should use tables (the kind of table found in the Insert tab on the Ribbon) whenever headers are set up and whenever data is imported from the PI Data Archive or the PI Asset Framework.

Benefits of PI Builder using tables:
    • filters are on by default, and they do not use up the 1 filter that is allowed per sheet
    • readable formulas that automatically fill the table column
    • explicit isolation of PI Builder data from the rest of the sheet
    • banded rows are an option

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PI Builder  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Notification Reporting

With the arrival of AF 2016R2 notifications changed considerably. One of the features "lost" is reporting on notification delivery. You now simply get an annotation that x number of subscribers where notified.

I would like this to be improved to include a notification delivery report. I would suggest implementing this as a sub event frame that contains the list of subscribers, how they where notified (email, webservice, ...) and the status of the delivery.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Event Frames that can expire/auto-delete/archive

When generating Event Frames it would be useful to automatically remove the Event Frame, either when no longer active or in combination with no longer active and acknowledged, or other conditions.

An example use case would be for PI Notifications - the need to retain the Event Frames might not be there once a Notification is sent and action taken.

See https://feedback.osisoft.com/forums/555148-pi-server/suggestions/17219861-ability-to-send-a-notification-without-being-trigg

For example, I might sent a notification to remind someone to use PI Manual Logger to enter some data, but I don't need an Event Frame to exist after this is dealt with.

Other examples are that I…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Integrate Python into PI System Explorer

As a user I would like to integrate python directly into AF so that I can have the open source capabilities of Python directly available to me as oppose to having OSISoft develop many of the options that Python already offers. This would allow for Python scripts to be ran directly in the AF structure so that outputs of models such as Machine learning can be written to a pi tag directly. This would also allow for greater data manipulation by utilizing pandas and even API Get requests to pull in data from other APIs to bundle time series data…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Send notification to additional persons based on change in severity

A way to configure a notification rule to send to additional contacts when the severity status changes without creating a new analysis.

Customer use case:
    Customer wants to scan devices. If a device fails to respond (I/O Timeout) over a short period of time, the event frame Severity is set to Warning and a notification is sent to IT. If the device remains offline for an extended period of time a child event frame is created and severity changes to major. When this occurs the customer would like additional people to be notified so they can go investigate the issue.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Individual Collective Members Health (data matches with other nodes)

Originally posted on PI Square at https://pisquare.osisoft.com/ideas/29295-individual-collective-members-health-data-matches-with-other-nodes

We would like a way to know if a node in a collective is not receiving the same data as the other nodes. It's my understanding that all nodes in the collective receive very similar data. The PI collective node members should be able to talk with each other to know if one node is not getting similar data.

At times, a node receiving data from PItoPI or other methods, may not be getting data. The data could be buffering (a single path), hard drive space may have ran out on the…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Analytics Service Utilization

The current 'Analysis Service Statistics' explain quantitatively "what is happening", but do not quantify the available capacity of the analytics engine. Managing a large and busy AF Server involves far too much guesswork as to how much additional throughput is available.

At any given moment, hundreds of analytics are running in parallel across dozens of calculation threads, using several or dozens of paralleldatapipes - but as far as I can find, there is no meaningful way to monitor the overall activity levels.

Bottlenecking occurs in many different ways - available CPU, available RAM, available threads, available data pipes, available data…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Remove ports, models, transfers, layers, connections in PSE by default

I would like the ports, models, transfers, layers, and connections features in PSE to be removed by default, since these features are used only by customers that have the Sigmafine product from PIMsoft.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Search for all Event frames belonging to an Element and its Child Elements

Currently in PI System Explorer we can search for Event Frames based on Element Name. However, it would also be good to have the option to also search for Event Frames belonging to child Elements of that specified Element.

For example, if you have a Parent Element for each of your sites or sub-sections within a plant and you would like to see all Event Frames for all assets belonging to that site or sub-section then you can select the option to include child Elements in the Event Frame Search.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Provide the ability to have attribute template that can be used in multiple element templates (attribute sets)

As an user I want to be able to configure attribute templates that can be used in multiple element templates, so that I can used common attributes between different templates. For example, create three templates representing 3 different kinds of motor but each template can use an attribute template consisting of input current, input voltage, casing temperature.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Add relevant windows service dependency via installer.

Following KB01345 & 000036461 we have to manually add dependency where applicable.
    Please consider adding similar service dependency than we have via PI ICU for new interface (depend on pibufss):
    - AFService depend on relevant MSSQL$<SQLInstance> service if SQL Server = AF Application server
    - AF Analytics, AF Notification & PI DAS RTQP depend on AFService if on same host
    - PI Web API Crawler on PI Web API
    - PI Web API on AFService if target AF is on same host
    - PI Web API on Buffer subsystem if already configured at the moment of install/upgrade
    - AF Analytics…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Installation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Update description of existing elements and analysis when template description is updated

When a element or analysis template description is changed, descriptions of existing elements or analyses are not updated. The description is only updated when the element or analysis is created.

A customer has proposed the following options:

If the element analysis description is blank, it is populated from the template when the template is checked in

Provide a button or menu option for element analysis that provides an option to "Reset to Template"

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. ENable analysis scheduling with different timezone (and also DST)

it will be useful to schedule an analysis with a specific Time Zone in order to be aligned with the local time and, especially, with the local setting for DST.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Add point Type INT64, UINT64, to PI Archive

Some interfaces such as PI Modbus allow the polling of a 64-bit signed integer value or a 64-bit unsigned integer value. Yet the database does not allow you to store these values in their native formats. You must store them as a 64-bit floating point but some precision is lost. Please add the ability to store these values in their native format.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Ability to embed substitution parameters

I would like the ability to embed a substitution parameter within another substitution parameter.
    For example, in the following Configuration String:

\%Server%\%@|<Attribute Name>|TagName%

I would like to replace <Attribute Name> with a substitution parameter

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Better search criteria in Management tab of PI System Explorer

PI System Explorer Management Tab should have better search criteria. For example, select specific elements in which to rerun an Analysis. Maybe use Element = something OR/AND Element = something else. Or search by element path.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Officially test compatibility with Windows Security Baselines

As a PI System administrator, I need to harden the OS of my servers consistent with industry best practices so that they are resilient to attack and random disruption.

Official testing of compatibility with industry standards such as the Windows Security baselines from Microsoft or Windows Server CIS benchmarks would give administrators added confidence that they can apply these hardening best practices without impacting core functionality.

Windows Security Baselines: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/windows-security-baselines

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 6 8 10 37 38
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
TELL US MORE
EVALUATING
PLANNED
IN DEVELOPMENT
COMPLETED
DECLINED