PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feature suggestion box. We created this forum to hear your ideas, suggestions and feedback.

Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site! Also vote for your favorite features now! We welcome your feedback.

• NOTE: for bugs, please report to OSIsoft Tech Support at techsupport@osisoft.com rather than entering them on this site.

How can we improve the PI Server?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add more advanced string handling functions to the String Builder data reference

I would like to use some more advanced string functions such as Split, Len (string length), and even regex filtering to allow more fine grained control of how some input strings (such as attribute values or substitution parameters) are manipulated to create a new string output.

7 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

UNDER REVIEW / RESEARCHING  ·  1 comment  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Track if auditing was turned off

I want the ability to track if auditing was turned off for the PI System (PI Data Archive and AF) so that I can determine if there was the risk of potential changes that were not captured by PI System audit functions.

12 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

How would you like to track this information? For example, is it sufficient to be a message in a log file, a performance counter? Do you want to maintain the history of all the changes you want on this flag? This will help us understand how to implement it.

3. Add new PIPointAttribute for "StaleTimeout"

While no customers have asked for this directly, I have seen many customers ask how to check a tag for being stale. The solution to date assumes all tags have the same staleness timeout, which really is not the case most of the time.

This new "StaleTimeout" point attribute would be a duration (time span) customizable for each tag. There could also be a new PIPoint property called "IsStale" which could bounce the current value's timestamp off the "StaleTimeout".

5 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Rick,

We are considering how to implement Data Quality in an upcoming release. A subset of that is if data is stale. If you can help us gather more customer use cases to better document the problem, and help us get a sense of how many customers would benefit from this feature, that would be extremely helpful.

Specifically, what would be very helpful is the requirements customers have to determine when a data point is stale. We are making a serious effort to simplify the management of the PI System, so we would like to be able to avoid asking users to spend time configuring yet another parameter.

4. Custom functions for the analysis service

As a developer, I would like the analysis service to support custom functions that I write using AF SDK.

43 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Event-Weighted Summary Functions

Allow for Asset Analytics to support event-weighted summary functions (as opposed to time-weighted), such as average and count. This will allow for easily aggregating changes in digital tags, discrete sensor readings (e.g., bucket count), etc. This would allow Asset Analytics to easily perform many of the event-weighted functions of PI Totalizers.

26 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow exclusion of message types when searching PI Message logs

As a PI System administator of a busy PI Data Archive, I find that my message logs are unwieldy. I can miss important messages in the flood of connection messages and other repetitive messages. I would like to be able to search my message logs while excluding certain message types (like in Event Viewer). For example, I would like to be able to run a query that excludes connection messages from pinetmgr and "User query failed" messages so I can quickly narrow in the problem I'm looking for.

Filtering on severity has proven an imperfect solution because sometimes important messages…

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is the type of functionality that makes sense to add into the PI System Manageability portal that we are starting work/research on now. Although it is not an imminent release, understanding these use cases, and how often customers want to do this type of filtering will help us prioritize this feature implementation.

7. Provide a way to view calculation dependencies

As a a user of Asset Analytics I want to see the calculation dependencies for an analysis so that I can understand which analyses are dependant on an analysis and view potential circular references

36 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Matlab Integration with AF Analytics

Integrate matlab and AF Analytics so that scheduling of an analytic can be configured in PI to trigger calculations and other analyses being executed within Matlab (and written back to PI).

21 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

UNDER REVIEW / RESEARCHING  ·  1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Ability to add Category to elements that do not have "Allow Extensions" set in their template

As a user, I want to be able to add Category to my elements in an adhoc fashion without having to be constraint by the element template, so that I can easily distinguish between elements created from the same template.

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base