PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Multiple instances for Asset Analytics

As a PI administrator I would like to be able to create multiple instances of "PI Analysis Service" windows service for these reasons:
    - avoid new potentially problematic analysis from affecting the ones that are operational and working correctly by setting one production instance and one test instance for example.
    - every instance could have its own log files and we could move some analyses to a new instance to troubleshoot them
    - make possible to distribute the resources usage for asset analytics on more than one server

225 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

42 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Ability to create child Events (EFs)

As a power user or admin, I would like the ability to create child events (EFs) or sub events within AF Analytics SO THAT I can migrate EFGen configurations to something that can be applied to a template and not configured by tags and SO THAT my users can analyze finer time periods of events.

Most common trigger behaviors for a child event are:
    * Pulse: values are 0/1 or ON/OFF
    * Step: values change and upon each transition, current in-progress event is closed and a new one is created
    * Step Continuous: An event is also captured in the…

164 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. While we realize that this feature could be useful, we have no plans to implement it at this time, due to other high priority work. Event Frames Generator is the current recommended product for users to create Event Frames with Child Event Frames.

3. PI System Explorer (PSE PI AF) Web

Please consider creating a web application like PI Vision Admin, PI Web API Search, PI Manual Logger for Web, and the various integrators, but for PI System Explorer (PSE, PI AF). I would prefer this to the client-server design now. It would make version management, software dependency management, upgrading, firewall/network-services management, etc. easier. This would obviate the need to re-package the OSIsoft installers in whatever software package management software an organization uses. Another solution would be to use the Windows 10 application store. However, that wouldn't mesh well with using Cloud IaaS services. OSIsoft could even offer this new PSE…

67 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are declining this item as we don’t feel it’s the right fit with our overall product strategy. Thank you for your feedback, and please continue sharing your thoughts on how we can better serve you.

4. Monitor the health of analytics/notifications

As a user of asset-analytics and notifications, I need an  easy way to know that PI Analysis and PI Notifications services are in good health and that event frames/notifications are being generated/sent as expected

64 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Support AWS RDS SQL Server instances as backend DBs for AF and PI Vision

Our company is progressively superseding the deployment of hosts with SQL Server installed, while moving towards the usage of SQL Server instances provided by AWS' Relational Database Service as the DB backend. Although currently OSISoft does not officially support the usage of RDS instances as backends for AF and PI Vision, we performed some internal tests with both AF and Vision and they seem to be promising. We would like OSISoft to study this kind of solution and, if there are no major obstructions, provide official support for such scenarios.

52 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Support SQL Azure as a PI AF SQL backend

As an administrator, I want to use SQL Azure as the database backend for my PI AF databases, so that I can offload the SQL adminstrative tasks to Azure.

52 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. We have reviewed this item, and it is not something we plan to implement at this time. Even though we are declining this idea for now, the comments will remain open, and we would like to hear more about your use cases.

7. PI AF - Child Event Frames using different template to parent

We currently have Event Frames generating for machine faults, with child event frames then tracking things such as maintenance team response time etc.
    Leveraging this data in excel reports is proving difficult however due to the Child Event Frames having the same template and naming convention as the parent.
    If Child Event Frames could have custom naming or different templates it would be extremely valuable

44 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Community Edition Of PI

Offer a free Community Edition of PI. Limit the point count, but let us geeks monitor our IOT hobbies with PI. This will encourage business buy in and increase general knowledge of OSIsoft throughout the geek community.

40 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Support for localized element and attribute names

As an user, I want to be able to have a localized element and attribute name in addition to the base language, so that my users do not have to learn a different language.

37 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback on the PI Server. After further evaluation, we have decided to decline this item, as we are not planning on implementing it in the near future due to other high priority items across the PI System. Thank you for your feedback, and know that we are listening and reviewing every item that gets submitted!

10. PI System Connectivity Map

Build a visual PI System connectivity map that shows how interfaces and servers (etc) are connected from so many different places.

37 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Notifications email acknowledgement

To have an email acknowledgement system where recipients can reply to the email and have the notification acknowledged

35 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This request would require us to develop/ship an email system. For most customers, this is also undesirable as it would entail outside network traffic into the corporate network. This is not a core competency of OSIsoft and we have no plans to implement this.

12. Be able to sort Elements and be displayed in ways other than alphabetically.

We have seen several instances where we would like to have the order of element displayed in AF/Vision be sorted by process order, not alphabetically.  Suggest adding a "sort" field and an option to have element arranged by that rather than alphabetically.

30 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback on the PI Server. After further evaluation, we have decided to decline this item, as we are not planning on implementing it in the near future due to other high priority items across the PI System. Thank you for your feedback, and know that we are listening and reviewing every item that gets submitted!

13. Matlab Integration with AF Analytics

Integrate matlab and AF Analytics so that scheduling of an analytic can be configured in PI to trigger calculations and other analyses being executed within Matlab (and written back to PI).

30 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    DECLINED  ·  Joy Wang responded

Native integration between Asset Analytics and MATLAB Production Server was released with PI Server 2018. At OSIsoft, we continue to evaluate our development and product roadmap and upon further review, we have come to the conclusion that this integration in its current form does not align with our future product strategy. This capability is no longer included with the PI Server starting with PI Server 2018 SP2 release. Although this feature will no longer be available in the PI Server 2018 SP2 release, OSIsoft is keenly interested in knowing and understanding your data science and advanced analytics needs. Please reply directly by email if this is impacting your PI Server so that we can help you with interim or alternative solutions.

14. As an avid user/admin of AF, in PSE I would like an option to display large attribute values with commas

Currently, in PSE there is no way to display attribute values greater than or equal to 1000 with commas for the thousands separators. Ex: 1,234,456 instead of 123456. This option exists in other PI Clients (i.e. PI Vision) and should be available in all PI Clients.

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

15. Tag Tuning Diagnostics

I'd like to get indications about under compressed and over compressed Tags. Over Compressed Tags can result in data loss.

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have reviewed this idea, and it’s not something we plan to implement at this time. Even though we are declining this idea for now, it is still open to comments. We do want to hear your opinion. Thank you for the feedback, and please, keep sharing!

16. AF Elements reference across AF Databases

Customer would like to be able to use AF Data References to reference AF Elements that reside in different AF Databases. This would allow him to not have to replicate elements and attributes across multiple databases.

23 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are declining this item as we don’t feel it’s the right fit with our overall product strategy. Thank you for your feedback, and please continue sharing your thoughts on how we can better serve you.

17. Add a function to calculate the week number of the year

In order to calculate the current shift operating at a plant, I need to calculate where in the 28-day cycle the current week is. Knowing which week of the year it is allows me to do that. Note that current PI weekday functions always count Sunday as Day 1, while some Excel functions count Monday as Day 1. It might be important to have an option to specify which day of the week is Day 1.

23 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18. Option to not capture value for event frames generation

As an engineer I need the option to not capture values for event frames generation so that if I have out-of-order events, I don't have to recapture the values.

Note: This was previously Enhancement 114349.

23 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19. Support string values in formula data references

Formula data references do not support string value type attributes (e.g. if stringattribute="Yes" then "X" else "Y"). One workaround is to create an analysis on the element template with the same logic mapped to an attribute on the element template. In certain cases, however, an analysis will not work.

For example, for an event frame with manually-entered string data individual to each event frame that then determines the value of another event frame attribute based on IF/THEN logic), we need this value to be calculated per event frame and not on the element.

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Show Child Attribute in Analysis PE Editor Auto-Complete

As a user configuring Analyses, I would the the Performance Equation (PE) Editor's auto-complete to suggest any child attributes as well as regular attributes.  Note: This was previously Enhancement 109589.

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

← Previous 1 3 4 5 22 23
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
TELL US MORE
EVALUATING
PLANNED
IN DEVELOPMENT
COMPLETED
DECLINED