PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Analytics function for Last Good Value

We have come across a number of occasions where we want to bring in the last good value of an attribute as an input to an analytics.  But there is no way to do this without additional attributes and analytics.  It would be convenient if a function existed that brought in the last good value of the attribute.  This is particularly useful when your data source is known to send NULL value frequent which translate into No Data or Bad Input.  One specific example:

We have a number of analytics that only run if one of our engine is on. …

69 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

9 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Looking for more inputs on how to determine what the last good value is (was). While it’s simple to say a numeric value is good, but what if it’s a non-sensical numeric value like 1000 for temperature? It is also possible to the source system to send out status like NoData. How should that be interpreted? Please provide your inputs.

2. Ensure data is identical between collective members

As a PI Administrator, I need to trust that the data is identical between my collective members. Currently, there is no way for me to be sure it is the same unless I do a side by side comparison. Data can be missing, or slightly off, and I have no easy way to understand this right now.

41 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow writing arrays as a time series to an output

I would like to be able to configure outputs in an analysis to write at multiple time points (which are defined by the result of an array function).

My use case is to:

1. Configure an attribute as a Time Series Table Lookup
    2. Create an analysis that retrieves the values of this attribute as an array, e.g. using RecordedValues
    3. Transform the data using MapData
    4. Write the result back to another attribute that is configured as a PI Point
    24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Can you clarify if your use case has 1 output PI Point or multiple PI Point(s)?

Is there any reason why you are not using RDBMS interface to bring your table data into the PI System? That would remove a lot of complexity and greatly improve performance.

4. late notification

At times I have event frames that generate late for various reasons that trigger a notification. Since it was late we have no need to get the notification. I would like a way to not have a notification trigger if it is late.

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Analysis - Default Backfill configuration for service startup

When a failover occur or at service startup, ALL analysis configured for backfilling executes based on the last configured backfill/recalculate timerange.

There is an urgent need for a DEFAULT per-analysis configuration in case of service startup, therefore not using the last executed backfill but to have it's own planned recovery which I hope would include the last executed date as an option.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Override output timestamp when the output is also input for the analysis

If the output of your analysis is also used as an input for the analysis, the option offset the output timestamp relative to the trigger time is grayed out and you see the message "Cannot override output time stamp if any output is used as an input within an analysis". This protection makes sense sometimes because you could cause unsafe triggering scenarios, but there are also valid configurations that are blocked by this. It would be good if there was some way to override this protection in AF in certain situations.

The PI Square post below also describes a similar…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Buffering Manager should have tuning parameter for Points with Post Errors

Right now there is a PerfMon counter for Buffer Health.  It's either 0, 1, or 2.  That's not helpful because it doesn't tell you what is wrong.  There are other PerfMon counters for Remaining Queue capacity and Points with Post Errors.  The Buffer Manager allows you to change the threshold on when Remaining Queue capacity flags the Buffer Health as Warning and Error.  We set that tuning parameter to a crazy high value because we just have an Event Frame based on the Remaining Queue Capacity PerfMon counter tell us when the capacity is low.  Otherwise we have redundant Even…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi @taterhead247
    thank you for your request for additional counters to be added to Buffering Manager. Could you please describe what it is exactly you are hoping to achieve with new performance counters?
    Specifically – what do you want to configure? how do you want point error reporting to behave? any other helpful information around your use case that will better help us understand your problem, and the solution you are looking for.

Additionally, this request is something that is really more for the Buffering team than the health team, so I am copying their PM and will figure out how to move this request to that queue.

thanks again for your comments, we really appreciate your feedback – it helps us to improve the product for you and all of our customers.

Warm regards,
    Janelle Minich
    Product Manager
    OSIsoft, LLC.

8. Translate performance equations to AF

Users would appreciate a utility that converts PI Performance Equation tags to Asset Framework Analyses, or into AF Analysis syntax.

Many have have several hundred Performance Equation tags, and the inability to easily bring them into AF has may limit adoption of the Asset Framework and associated tools.

One possibility would be to point an AF analysis or attribute to an existing PE tag, and for it to query the tag's EXDESC, scan class, et cetera to complete configuration of an analysis.  Ideally the PE tag could be deleted or managed by AF afterwards.

Context (location within the AF) would…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The PE to Analytics utility is no longer available, and it is not officially supported by OSIsoft. If you have questions, comments, or feedback, please let us know in the comments.

9. Data Quality: Assess Data Integrity

Have a way to assess the data integrity so end users can trust the data and issues can be fixed quickly.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Additional Import/Export option for servers that do not have an Excel plugin

The excel plugin is very useful for making bulk edits and changes.  Unfortunately, all customers either do not have the excel software plugin or flat out do not allow the installation of excel on their machines thus eliminating the ability to utilize the excel plugin.

In these cases, it would be incredibly useful to have the ability to perform the exact same function that PI Builder provides but built into the System Management Tools, System Explorer, etc. so that it is not necessary to have excel installed.  This way, I can export data in a pi builder format, move the…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PI Builder  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Reopening this discussion….

I may have misunderstood your original request. Are you asking for us to replicate the PI Builder functionalities in SMT or PI System Explorer? Or are you asking for a way to export into a file so that you can then use PI Builder in a separate machine with this file?

11. Improve PI Analysis Service Performance for Non-Templatized Analyses

Instead of putting all non-templatized analyses in one group for evaluation, the PI Analysis Service should divide them up automatically according to some criteria. The goals would be:
    1) Eliminate the need for many "one-off" templates that cause visual clutter in the Library
    2) One expensive non-templatized analysis would not delay all non-templatized analyses; it would be placed in an evaluation group by itself

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The architecture was designed so that we perform calculations in groups for efficiency and also dependency, i.e. output1 is an input to a different analysis.

While it is true that in earlier versions an expensive analysis can impact the performance of the entire group thereby negatively affecting other analyses. In more recent releases, we have made some refinement to improve this, minimizing the effect of one expensive analysis. Having said that, if the system is at the limits of scalability, then it may be necessary to have multiple systems.

Can you provide more information on whether you are able to try our latest version to see if your system performance has improved?

12. Review of all triggers in analytics

I suggest, make possibility of review all triggers in analytics, in PI System Explorer Management.
    It can be useful when looking for possible problems in work of whole analytics.

Regards,
    Igor

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. New attribute for a PI point type ID

To take full advantage of AF and substitution parameters it would be great to have a sort of type ID. Now i have to rename all tags to gain this possibility. It would be easy if i could use a portion of the tag name and a  type id. Then i could deploy AF templates with substitution parameters really fast.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. AF: More Easily Accessible Attribute Properties Window

The Attribute Properties window has information that is useful for troubleshooting and Custom Data Reference development. For Data references without configuration screens defined, clicking "Settings" will bring up the Properties window.

However, getting to the Attribute Properties window for data references that have a configuration screen defined (i.e. PI Point) requires you to Shift + Click the "Settings" button, and can not be accessed from the regular configuration screen. It would be nice to have a more apparent method to access the properties for an attribute, such as an extension of the context menu (right click), or perhaps a small…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Rearrange the Classic tab in the Point Builder to reflect the relationship between settings

If the Compressing attribute of a PI Point is set to Off, then the compression settings are greyed out, which makes sense because they are irrelevant if Compressing is Off.

However, if a PI Point has its Archiving attribute set to Off, nothing is greyed out, even though the exception and compression settings and the Compressing attribute are all irrelevant.

I propose changing the layout of the Classic tab to reflect the relationship between these settings. If Archiving is Off, do not show the user the exception settings, compression settings, or the Compressing attribute. If Archiving is On, show the…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

When you select Archiving = off, no data is sent to the archives. However, the Compression settings still apply because these settings affect what is in the Snapshot. When a client application request the “current” value, the Snapshot is returned therefore it’s important to ensure the system knows and applies the Compression settings.

Exception settings on the other hand affect how interfaces collect data, regardless of whether we archive the data or not on the server side. Exception settings are important to ensure that we are only collect data (on the interface side) that are significant. When an interface starts up, it connects to the Data Archive to get the points list and also the Exception configurations.

With all that in mind, please provide additional details on your use case for this idea.

16. Better visual distinction between reference types in the element hierarchy in PI System Explorer

Currently, you cannot visually distinguish between a composition relationship and a primary parent-child relationship, or between a secondary parent-child relationship and a weak reference in the element hierarchy in PI System Explorer. Please allow all of the built-in reference types to be visually distinguishable from each other from the element hierarchy. Perhaps the dotted line that connects the parent to the child could be formatted (solid versus dotted?) in addition to modifying the child element's symbol.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Can you provide specific use cases? For example, what would you do differently if such distinctions are available visually?

Composition and parent-child references primarily affect what happens when objects are deleted. It really doesn’t affect visualization.

Any details you can provide would be helpful.

17. Improve usability of configuring AF security using PI System Explorer

As a user, I want to have improved interaction when configuring AF security using PI System Explorer, so that I can make changes to AF security more easily and accurately.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Ability to write data to the Buffer Subystem using the AF SDK when PI Data Archive is unavailable at start up

As an user, I want to be able to write data to the PI Data Archive via the Buffer Subsystem even when the PI Data Archive is unavailable at start up so that my application can continue to run without having to wait for a connection to the PI Data Archive.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
TELL US MORE
EVALUATING
PLANNED
IN DEVELOPMENT
COMPLETED
DECLINED