PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ability to create/modify/delete PI Points using PI System Explorer

As a user, I want to be able to create/modify/delete PI Points using PI System Explorer, so that I do not have to use multiple tools to manage my PI Points and AF objects.

11 votes
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Support SQL Azure as a PI AF SQL backend

As an administrator, I want to use SQL Azure as the database backend for my PI AF databases, so that I can offload the SQL adminstrative tasks to Azure.

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION  ·  2 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. PI Data Archive: Improve piarchss performance

PI Archive Subsystem should be able to use operating memory more efficiently. For example by loading as many non-primary archives into its process memory as possible (perhaps it could be affected by a user setting).

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Could you please provide more details and examples of what you want to do? The Archive Subsystem already manages the files in memory, and in the file system cache. So, what are your specific situations where you see inefficient memory usage today?

4. Buffering Manager should have tuning parameter for Points with Post Errors

Right now there is a PerfMon counter for Buffer Health.  It's either 0, 1, or 2.  That's not helpful because it doesn't tell you what is wrong.  There are other PerfMon counters for Remaining Queue capacity and Points with Post Errors.  The Buffer Manager allows you to change the threshold on when Remaining Queue capacity flags the Buffer Health as Warning and Error.  We set that tuning parameter to a crazy high value because we just have an Event Frame based on the Remaining Queue Capacity PerfMon counter tell us when the capacity is low.  Otherwise we have redundant Even…

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi @taterhead247
    thank you for your request for additional counters to be added to Buffering Manager. Could you please describe what it is exactly you are hoping to achieve with new performance counters?
    Specifically – what do you want to configure? how do you want point error reporting to behave? any other helpful information around your use case that will better help us understand your problem, and the solution you are looking for.

Additionally, this request is something that is really more for the Buffering team than the health team, so I am copying their PM and will figure out how to move this request to that queue.

thanks again for your comments, we really appreciate your feedback – it helps us to improve the product for you and all of our customers.

Warm regards,
    Janelle Minich
    Product Manager
    OSIsoft, LLC.

5. Additional Import/Export option for servers that do not have an Excel plugin

The excel plugin is very useful for making bulk edits and changes.  Unfortunately, all customers either do not have the excel software plugin or flat out do not allow the installation of excel on their machines thus eliminating the ability to utilize the excel plugin.

In these cases, it would be incredibly useful to have the ability to perform the exact same function that PI Builder provides but built into the System Management Tools, System Explorer, etc. so that it is not necessary to have excel installed.  This way, I can export data in a pi builder format, move the…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PI Builder  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Reopening this discussion….

I may have misunderstood your original request. Are you asking for us to replicate the PI Builder functionalities in SMT or PI System Explorer? Or are you asking for a way to export into a file so that you can then use PI Builder in a separate machine with this file?

6. Allow to automatically disbale an analysis based on an expression

As a PSE user, I would like to be able to configure an expression which allos to automatically set or reset the exclude property on an attribute

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Can you give an example use case for this? Not sure I understand why you would want to disable an analysis based on an expression. Since analytics is an online/continuous/near-real-time calculation engine, its goal in life is to continuously run calculations based on triggers. It seems what you’re asking is a one-time adhoc type evaluation to help you with initial configurations? Can you provide more details?

7. Allow to automatically exclude an attribute based on an expression

As a PSE user, I would like to be able to configure an expression which allos to automatically set or reset the exclude property on an attribute

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

If you use the AF 2018 SP2 release, you can use the BadVal() function to check for validity of the input – i.e. if the input PI Point doesn’t exist. Thus you can use the BadVal() function now to check for validity of the input and also whether the input has bad values. Using the BadVal() function you can add logic to your Expression to handle missing inputs or bad inputs.

I’m sorry but I don’t understand your question about exclude output attributes. Can you provide an example use case?

8. Sort Dates in PI System Explorer correctly

Very small/minor request:
    PI System Explorer Grid Control needs to sort Date Attributes by Date and not by String.

Example of current sorting:

1/1/2018
    11/1/2017
    2/1/2016
    3/1/2015

Proposed sort:

3/1/2015
    2/1/2016
    11/1/2017
    1/1/2018

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED