How can we improve the PI Server?

Ability to create child Events (EFs)

As a power user or admin, I would like the ability to create child events (EFs) or sub events within AF Analytics SO THAT I can migrate EFGen configurations to something that can be applied to a template and not configured by tags and SO THAT my users can analyze finer time periods of events.

Most common trigger behaviors for a child event are:
* Pulse: values are 0/1 or ON/OFF
* Step: values change and upon each transition, current in-progress event is closed and a new one is created
* Step Continuous: An event is also captured in the OFF/0 state.
* A trigger expression.

The Name of the child event can come from:
* Active (trigger) tag value
* A Static name
* Another tag value at the time of creation (or delayed)

102 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AdminTodd Brown (Product Manager, OSIsoft) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • juergen.b.schmidt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would be interested in the current Status of this request. We are also facing a Project where we would like to define child Event Frames in AF Analysis as this is much more userfriendly for plant Operators than PIEfGen.
    Also we would need an option to define a stepped start signal for Analysis.

• jeff_denz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our options right now are to continue using a complex configuration of PI ACE (>150K lines of custom code) or have this child event frame capability within PI Analytics.

PI Analytics would be much more practical from a customer standpoint. Also, it seems that PI ACE is no longer under development which implies we should look elsewhere or risk LCM issues down the road.

• AdminStephen Kwan (Product Manager, OSIsoft) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are collecting requirements for this. Please provide your needs in terms of how many levels of child event frames you would need, whether you need to reference other event frames, etc. Please describe your use cases.

• ken_reiss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wondering if anyone from OSI can comment on this enhancement. There is a great interest in this.

• Brian Harclerode commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This functionality is essential for Upstream Oil and Gas Drilling companies. We are currently using event frame generator to generate child events but rolling this out to hundreds of wells/rigs is cumbersome without templates. Also, we need to add the ability to roll up event frame attributes at the parent element level.

• cmoore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As we look more and more into migrating from PI Batch to Event Frames we would prefer using templates. This ensures consistency of configuration and ease of roll out/testing.

• ken_reiss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a project whereby I am generating Event Frames during an equipment fault. This equipment can have more than 1 fault at a time, so I would like to have a parent "Equipment Fault" event frame with child event frames per specific fault. Once all specific faults return to normal and their event frame closed, the parent fault would also close.

• marc.fortin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To be able to convert 100% of Bagen to Event-Frame, this functionality is mandatory. With AF we can use attribute like start trigger and we use the powerful of templates.

• Elena Rakovska commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be very useful for many use cases, if we can create EF structure with multiple levels of child EF.

• rpalmen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are quite a number of posts on PI Square asking for simple solutions to common scenarios: batch , Phase, Product changes from one value to the next. So the triggering issue is important.

Regarding parent-child relations: could be as simple as indicating the parent EF analysis? If an EF is generated on this EF, and a parent EF exists for start, end, overlap (or some other logic), just link that to the parent EF.

E.g. linking downtime to shifts, batches, etc. Phases to batches, etc.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED