How can we improve the PI Server?

Ability to view Event Frame Start and End Time in Server Time

As a client user located in a different time zone than the AF Server, I would like to have the ability to view Event Frame start and end time  in server time. Currently it's only possible to view the start and end time of event frames in client time.

11 votes
Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sebastien Raposo shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Rick Smith Jr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In response to Rick Smith, "I assume the behavior is unchanged based..."
    At least changing the client time to the server time (and restarting excel) works for my use case.

• Rick Smith Jr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In response to Stephen Kwan, "Hi, What would be your desired behavior?..."
    I assume the behavior is unchanged based on the event frame I generated this evening... I was hoping to allow the user to select en event frame from a list of event frame time periods returned to the PI Datalink using Events Explore.

PI PSE: Server: Central Time and Client is Eastern Time

PI Datalink

The creates a real mess... Adding UTC to the event frame is not too bad, but then I have to figure out how to convert the time so I am selecting the correct start and end time for PI Datalink to pull the correct data.

Or I can tell my users to change their client time to match the server time zone... That will go over well...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are also noticing when viewing events from an AF server in a different time zone using either PI Explorer or using PI Datalink, the events start & end times are shown in the client time ... this is extremely confusing & makes analysis difficult.   Is there a setting that I am missing somewhere?  This has the potential of causing a number of problems.... specificallty when a number of sites are being compared for performance metrics ... the client app settings have to be adjusted repeatedly for both local servers & servers in other time zones.

Is there a fix planned for this?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are also noticing when viewing events from an AF server in a different time zone using either PI Explorer or using PI Datalink, the events start & end times are shown in the client time ... this is extremely confusing & makes analysis difficult.   Is there a setting that I am missing somewhere?  This has the potential of causing a number of problems.... specificallty when a number of sites are being compared for performance metrics ... the client app settings have to be adjusted repeatedly for both local servers & servers in other time zones.

Is there a fix planned for this?

• Sebastien Raposo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In response to Chris Manhard, "Is this specific to PI System Explorer, ..."
    This enhancement originated from a Tech Support case and was for both PI DataLink and PI System Explorer. Sorry for not making that clear in the request.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED