How can we improve the PI Server?

PI System Explorer (PSE PI AF) Web

Please consider creating a web application like PI Vision Admin, PI Web API Search, PI Manual Logger for Web, and the various integrators, but for PI System Explorer (PSE, PI AF). I would prefer this to the client-server design now. It would make version management, software dependency management, upgrading, firewall/network-services management, etc. easier. This would obviate the need to re-package the OSIsoft installers in whatever software package management software an organization uses. Another solution would be to use the Windows 10 application store. However, that wouldn't mesh well with using Cloud IaaS services. OSIsoft could even offer this new PSE Web as a PaaS: gear, Juju charm, Docker container, Amazon image, whatever.

33 votes
Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

dunivanm shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • inform2prabhat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are moving from PB to PI Vision, PI DL is planned to move to Online Excel, Manual logger is now HTML5 enabled. So great to see the way OSISoft is moving towards mobile worker.

Is there any plan for PI AF Explorer thick client also to move to a Web based tool in near future ?

• Clint Ostby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Customers have expressed interest in a PI AF web UI that would enable casual PI AF users to build simple analytics & event frames, and view Analysis logic without having to work in the full PI System Explorer client.

• ksward commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well, let me correct the real world, it isn't administrators, just administrator, and try a growing number today of 30 users. It definitely would be nice to control permissions to static attributes for those users as the need to update max capacity and contact information.

• tomasstark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with that at least a limited web version is wanted. Often users have a need to change attribute values.

The rest can be left for adminstrators using the Windows version. I doubt a complete web version will be as handy to work with as the current Windows version is.

• ksward commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely would like to see a Web/HTML version of PSE, even a limited use version for the AF DB only Elements only to be used a a general User interface, while keeping the Client installed version for Administration.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED