How can we improve the PI Server?

Request for multiple abbreviations per UOM

request for UOM to have option for multiple abbreviations without the need to create many duplicate UOM entries.

Example for tonne, the system abbreviation is t, there should be an option to add mt (metric tonne, to differentiate between US ton) etc. The different abbreviations reference the same UOM.

4 votes
Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

David Wang shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • rpalmen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In response to Chris Manhard, "If there were multiple UOMs abbreviation..."
    Well, not really sure if it's unwarranted, but complexities don't add up, complexities multiply so i get your point. It's still doable though, the tricky part here is that for number and date formatting, this functionality is typically available in the frameworks used, but UoM's is just to much of an odd-ball to have in frameworks so that brings this to the application, and then the complexity is there do deal with.
    This is a real case i have to deal with, and currently i need to resort to defining localized UoM's and/or push the logic to the front-end (e.g. PI Vision custom symbols). But that does not apply to all user-facing applications, so i'ts just a partial solution which i don't like.
    Just wanted to add a good reason why this is a requirement in the real world. Not really saying this would be top-of-list in regards to development investment versus value...

• AdminChris Manhard (Software Engineer, OSIsoft) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If there were multiple UOMs abbreviations, applications may accept them, but they would all be displayed using the same standard abbreviation. Roger, your use case of using in different locales would not apply, unless we also added locale information to each abbreviation. The complexity there is likely unwarranted.

I just came up with a great reason to want this: localized UoM abbreviations. Instead of going the distance of localization of AF, this could provide a way to define localized UoM's. So for e.g. kg/h we could define kg/std for use in german applications.

Not really a big fan (hey, don't blame me, i'm an engineer in europe), but one cannot deny that the real world does not fit into a neat SI-unit system. So an upvote from me.

I just came up with a great reason to want this: localized UoM abbreviations. Instead of going the distance of localization of AF, this could provide a way to define localized UoM's. So for e.g. kg/h we could define kg/std for use in german applications.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED