How can we improve the PI Server?

"Outputs at Start"group

It would be nice if there were an "Output at start" option to output values at the start of an event frame. Currently there is an "Outputs at close" option for Event Frames.

18 votes
Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Laura Posner shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Brian Deslatte commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Slight tangent, but when using other trigger methods such as Pulse, would still like to be able to output (on Start and Stop).
    One example, if one had a batch counter that needed to be incremented (but needed pulse triggering etc...)

• LClark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great idea. Event frames can trigger notifications, typically a notification is exists because there was an issue. In our case, we would like to set "Outputs at Start" so that when the event frame is created there is effectively a "snapshot" of various conditions and configurations that triggered the event. Then the event becomes a better self-contained reference to the issue.

• Jim Gavigan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In response to Roger Palmen, "Exactly! Or monitor that a batch has bee..."
    Yep.... I do this a lot....

• Jim Gavigan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In response to Roger Palmen, "In a more general sense i typically brea..."
    Yes, I will often save the start time of an event as a PI tag and then have a running duration as a PI tag to show the operator....

• Hobbe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use Event Frames to capture OPC AE events. Since i have a start condition that is the most important to capture and now i only can capture at close, it is necessary to have the option to capture "at start" conditions.

• rpalmen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In response to Jim Gavigan, "Yes, I will often save the start time of..."
    Exactly! Or monitor that a batch has been running longer than expected. Or no batch has been running longer than expected, or...

In response to Roger Palmen, "Yes! So many use cases to think of. In m..."
    In a more general sense i typically breakup logic into two parts: first determining if something is happening, when did it start and stop?, and secondly recoding an EventFrame on that.
    To determine when something happens i create an analysis and output the results to a PI Point. That allows me to answer questions like: how often did this happen? How long was this the case? What was the last occurrence? Those questions i can't easily answer within PI using EventFrames.
    The EventFrame i use to do, well, eventframe stuff, and i trigger this on the first PI Point. Having an option to have outputs at start allows to combine this logic into one unit instead of spread over two.

Take a simple batch as an example, i need both a PI Point (when is a batch running) and an EventFrame (batch reporting, visualization) to answer these questions.

• AdminStephen Kwan (Product Manager, OSIsoft) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can do that with currently shipping software. Just configure an attribute with a Formula Data Reference and a %StartTime% or %EndTime% substitution parameter.

This would not work if you wish to write the start and end time to a PI Point.

If I have misinterpreted your needs, please let me know.

• lovetolaugh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to write to an output when the Unit comes offline. I also want to write to an output when the Unit comes online. I would like to do that with One event frame generation analysis, instead I have to have two. Offline Status analysis writes to the "lastonlinedate" output at the close of the event frame. The Online Status analysis writes to the "lastofflinedate" output at the close of the event frame.

Yes! So many use cases to think of. In many cases you want to know something when it started, and at what time, not when it stopped.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED