PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Limit element creation using reference types

I’m designing an AF database where we want most things to be correctly set up and planned on the template side, so that end-users can create the AF content later. One of the functionalities I use is creating my own reference types i PI System Explorer, and it works as expected when I define that elements from TemplateB can only be created below elements from TemplateA.

Example: I want to make sure that the only element below “Oil Well with MPFM” is the actual “MPFM”.

I want to make sure that AF designers follow the rules I've set, to keep…

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Possibility to change units of template based attributes

I have template based elements including analysis that can be used for calculations with a variety of units (tonnes, MWh,...). So it would be great to have the possibility to change the units of template based attributes. At the moment they are fixed to the template.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Remove ports, models, transfers, layers, connections in PSE by default

I would like the ports, models, transfers, layers, and connections features in PSE to be removed by default, since these features are used only by customers that have the Sigmafine product from PIMsoft.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Provide the ability to have attribute template that can be used in multiple element templates (attribute sets)

As an user I want to be able to configure attribute templates that can be used in multiple element templates, so that I can used common attributes between different templates. For example, create three templates representing 3 different kinds of motor but each template can use an attribute template consisting of input current, input voltage, casing temperature.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Expose backfilling/recalculation status in the AFSDK

Currently analysis runtime information can be accessed programmatically using the AFSDK (AFAnalysisService.RuntimeInformationFields - https://techsupport.osisoft.com/Documentation/PI-AF-SDK/html/P_OSIsoft_AF_Analysis_AFAnalysisService_RuntimeInformationFields.htm). However, there are no fields which can be specified corresponding to backfilling/recalculation status of an analysis.

Adding a field for the aforementioned property or introducing a new method which could expose backfilling/recalculation status would be helpful for finding backfilling/recalculation errors programmatically. This approach should be much faster than finding analyses with backfilling errors in PSE.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Integrate Python into PI System Explorer

As a user I would like to integrate python directly into AF so that I can have the open source capabilities of Python directly available to me as oppose to having OSISoft develop many of the options that Python already offers. This would allow for Python scripts to be ran directly in the AF structure so that outputs of models such as Machine learning can be written to a pi tag directly. This would also allow for greater data manipulation by utilizing pandas and even API Get requests to pull in data from other APIs to bundle time series data…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Update description of existing elements and analysis when template description is updated

When a element or analysis template description is changed, descriptions of existing elements or analyses are not updated. The description is only updated when the element or analysis is created.

A customer has proposed the following options:

If the element analysis description is blank, it is populated from the template when the template is checked in

Provide a button or menu option for element analysis that provides an option to "Reset to Template"

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Trigger notification email when event frame has been acknowledged

I would like to configure notifications such that an email is sent when the event frame has been acknowledged.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. PSE attribute search by data reference

Extend attribute search in PSE to limit search by data reference. One use case is when we want to do a reset to template in bulk, it would be nice to only return attributes that use PI Point data reference. If I understand the release notes correctly, the enhancement below to AF 2017 R2 should make this possible; is that correct?
    New PlugIn and PlugInName query filters were added to AFAttributeSearch, AFAnalysisSearch, AFAnalysisTemplateSearch, and AFNotificationContactTemplateSearch (e.g. PlugIn:"PI Point") to allow applications to search by the plug-in type.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Rollup Analysis - Filter Attribute Names at both Root & Child Level

Requesting the ability to be able to filter at BOTH the root level (parent attribute) and child level (child attribute) when doing a rollup analysis.

If you have the same child attribute names under different parent attributes (i.e. Children: YTD, MTD ; Parents: Energy Consumed, Energy Produced), you are unable to filter on them explicitly unless you make the name unique enough. This ultimately causes a repeat in naming from the parent (i.e. Children: YTD Energy Consumed, MTD Energy Consumed).

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Possibility to disable the message "An AFEnumerationSet matching the digital state set for PI Point was not found" in PI System Explorer

I would like to have the option to disable the feature introduced in PI System Explorer 2018 SP2 to pop up the following message when an Enumeration set does not match the name of a digital set in the PI Data Archive:
    "An AFEnumerationSet matching the digital state set for PI Point was not found"

The message appears every time you open a new element with attributes with not matching Enumeration sets for each of those attributes.This can become very tiresome.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Ability to embed substitution parameters

I would like the ability to embed a substitution parameter within another substitution parameter.
    For example, in the following Configuration String:

\%Server%\%@|<Attribute Name>|TagName%

I would like to replace <Attribute Name> with a substitution parameter

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Allow access to Attribute Timestamp without using Analysis

It would be very helpfull if we could access not only attribute values but also their timestamp in formulas, string builder, etc.. For example, this would help calculate staleness of a value, or it could be used to set a PI Point Attribute to show the maximum, minimum or average since last event of a tag.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Ability to search find where specific UOM are used

As a user, I want to be able to find where specific UOM are used, so that I know the impact of UOM changes to my PI AF hierarchy.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Ability to move an AF element within the hierarchy in PSE by right-clicking on the element

When moving an AF element within the hierarchy in PSE using the "Shift key + Drag and Drop" approach, it can cause to create an Element reference if the release of the "Shift key" is done before dropping the element.
    Having the option of right-clicking on the element and select "Move" would eliminate issues with pressing/releasing shift key and dragging/dropping the element and creating Element References by mistake.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Substitution Parameters for PI Point Exdesc

I would like to have an out of the box way for an attribute to display a pipoint exdesc. One thought would be able to have a substitution parameter that would point at the pipoints exdesc.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Automatic re-connection to AF database after network interruption

Avoid having to manually reconnect to the AF database in PSE whenever a client computer returns from standby after the network connection has returned. Other PI client tools such as SMT are able to automatically re-establish connection under these conditions.
    The UI dialog asks a connection to another database, but by doing this, the view needs to be reopened and there is a need to re-navigate to the structure that was previously being worked on.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. AF "instrumenttag property request

Users would like to be able to pull in the instrumenttag of a PI point into an attribute that is referencing it.  This isn't currently possible because the AF server and any attribute aren’t aware of most properties of the PI point itself, so pulling in and making use of those fields is not an option. To some extent, the AF server is an abstraction of the PI Data Archive, and being able to determine what other source tags it is dependent on wasn’t one of the use cases that it was written for. This is particularly true for calculated…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Harmonize Attribute Editor and Attribute Template Editor

Currently Attribute Template Editor and Attribute Editor behave different regarding visualisation of templates when using derived templates.

Attribute Template Editor shows the attributes of the base template only if Group By Template is checked.

Attribute Editor always shows all attributes independent on which template the attributes belong and independent of the group-by-state. When you check Group By Template the templates get visible.

I think it would be a great to see all attributes also in the Attributes Template Editor, independend of the group by state. Maybe all attributes of the base template should be grayed out.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. More customizable filter options for the PI AF Audit Trail

As a user of the PI AF Audit Trail, I would like more customizable filter options.  For example, I would like to be able to query changes "not equal" to a string.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
TELL US MORE
EVALUATING
PLANNED
IN DEVELOPMENT
COMPLETED
DECLINED