PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add the ability to display UOMs in different languages in the PI AF Client

Automatically display UOMs in the PI AF client in the language of your choice i.e. not a conversion of units. For example, to change the display of UOMs to Russian instead of English, kg becomes кг, V becomes B.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Substitution parameter for base template

It would be nice to have a substitution parameter to fetch the name of a base template. There is a substitution parameter to retrieve the name of a template: %Template%, but none to retrieve a parent/base template.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Add warning message while changing analysis type

Changing from Expression to Rollup by mistake will erase the Expression configuration in PI System Explorer. Add a warning message regarding this.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Ability to identify faulty variables in AF

When writing an expression analysis with many variables, if there is a missing ")" or an extra ")" then the whole analysis will not evaluate with error "Equation not set." This error does not help the user identify where the issue is. If PSE would back-light highlight the variable row in question or include the variable name within the error these would be much easier to identify and would save a lot of headache.

In the attached screenshot is an example of "equation not set" where the issue is visible in the screenshot, but difficult to identify.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. PI AF Linked Tables used for Time-Series Data with OOO events

As AF Table Lookup Data Reference is configured with a time column in order to support cashing, edits of the following types to the table data will not be picked up by AF Clients: 

1- Update the value of an Existing record/Event

2- Add a new record/event with Timestamp prior to the end of stream (the last retrieved event)

Enhancement required is for PI AF Clients is to pick up the mentioned types of changes.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Expand PI Point Array DR functionality: Source Units

Currently, the PI Point Array data reference allows the Source Units field to be set, but this setting applies to all points in the array. It would be better if the Source Units field could be set individually for each point in the array for conversion to the Default UOM.
    Use case: we have multiple PI Points we want to put into an array, but some have source units of lb/h while others have source units of klb/h. We would like to enter the source units individually so all values in the array are converted to the same UOM (klb/h).

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Longer passwords PI AF Table Connector

This is really a bug/security risk; but the support team has requested that a "Customer Voice" be raised.

Support passwords longer than 15 characters in the PI AF Table Connector.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Access Attribute Template Array member value using index in name substitution

Would like ability to use the value of an attribute array values when doing name substitution like %@attribute1[0]%

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Child attributes should not be "included" if parent is "included"

When a parent attribute template is excluded, but included at the element level, all child attributes are also included. It makes sense if a parent attribute is set to excluded all child attributes should also be set to excluded. However, if a parent attribute is set to "included", some child attributes may or may not be excluded. Instead of "including" them all, maybe they could remain excluded and the user can choose which to include.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. PI Builder Publish without Check In

It would be useful during development to be able to publish a PI Builder spreadsheet with an option to not check in the changes so you could check what the changes look like and validate them in PI System Explorer and decide whether to undo the check out if the config is wrong or check in if it is correct. Currently you have to take a backup of what you are changing so that you can revert back, but this is difficult because a change to a template could impact many elements so they would have to be backed up…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Ability to export specific elements (parents and child) using XML with PI System Explorer

If you export an XML file for a migration you can not specifically designate what parent and child elements you want to migrate

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Provide AF Analysis Function for Element Unit

There is a function in AF named TagEU(). This function returns the EU of the PI Tag, NOT the EU of the element. This presents problems in analysis if the Units in PI are not spelled the same as they are in AF or if the unit in AF different than the PI Tag.

Please add a function ElementEU() which returns the EU of the element. It should use the same EU from the element that Convert() uses.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. AF: More Easily Accessible Attribute Properties Window

The Attribute Properties window has information that is useful for troubleshooting and Custom Data Reference development. For Data references without configuration screens defined, clicking "Settings" will bring up the Properties window.

However, getting to the Attribute Properties window for data references that have a configuration screen defined (i.e. PI Point) requires you to Shift + Click the "Settings" button, and can not be accessed from the regular configuration screen. It would be nice to have a more apparent method to access the properties for an attribute, such as an extension of the context menu (right click), or perhaps a small…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. UOM class properties dimension table

If you double-click on a UOM class, you will see something like the attached picture. I feel that the "Base Units of Measure" list box should be a table with 2 columns: Base Dimension and Exponent. This would eliminate the ugly ^ and align the exponents.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Publish Element Searches Publicly in System Explorer

Ability to 'Publish' Element searches in System Explorer for all users to see. This ability exists now but the search is only available to user who created it.

This would let users create custom element searches within each AF database that could be browsed by any other user (AFSDK, PIwebAPI, etc..) When defining a custom search, the user would have the option to 'Publish Publicly' where it becomes like a pseudo-element with children.

Example: I would like a dynamic element (search) that only contains elements whose Attribute: |Active = True. Since this value changes everyday, I would expect the search…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Ability to automatically create children and grand children when creating elements from a template that has them

I have a template Vessel Mobile and also Templates Vessel Processvalues and Vessel Setpoins. I already created Refrence Typse, so a Template Vessel Processvalues is a child of a Vessel Mobile.

But when i add a Element based on my Template Vessel Mobile, only the Element Vessel mobile is created - i miss the child templates "vessel Processvalues" and Vessel Setpoints":

Of course i can add these Elements manually

but i search for an automatic way. So i only include my Element based on vessel mobile and the child templates for process values and setpoints are added without doing it…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add the ability to specify NULL values in manually created AF Tables

When manually creating an AF Table (i.e., an internal AF table) in PI System Explorer having the ability to specify a NULL value would be beneficial. Not all datasets require a value for each cell and not all tables need to be linked to, or imported from, external systems.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Use different Windows account for linked table authentication

As a user, I want to have the option of entering a service account's Windows credentials when authenticating to a Table Connection in PI System Explorer. Currently, the Windows authentication mode only allows impersonation of the user running PI System Explorer.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Ability to retrieve only all top-level Attributes

In an AF Hierarchy where an element contains dozens of Attributes - each with Child Attributes - I am interested in only bringing back all top-level attributes. The use case is that the top-level attributes may not have any naming convention in common but are all defined as PI tags (Child attributes may or not be PI tags). I would like to just bring back the top-level attributes in PI Builder so I can quickly modify tags en masse.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Remove the annoying sound when searching for tags in PI System Explorer

When clicking Ctrl - Shift - 8 to bring up the tag search in PSE, you type your tag name to search for, and in most cases click the 'Enter' button after. This will perform the search, but it also responds with an annoying DING sound in Windows. Clicking the "Search" button with the mouse does not produce this sound.

Please remove this sound when hitting 'Enter' after typing your tag to search for!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
TELL US MORE
EVALUATING
PLANNED
IN DEVELOPMENT
COMPLETED
DECLINED