PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ability to Configure Display Digits of an Attribute in PI AF

As a PI Coresight user I would like the ability to configure the display digits of an AF attribute so I can control how attribute data is displayed on my PI Coresight displays. Right now, for PI Point data references the display digits must be configured in PI SMT with Point Builder. For any other type of attribute there is no  direct way to configure the display digits.

88 votes
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

15 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Support "abstract" templates in AF

There is a need to create "abstract" element templates in AF, and this has been requested several times.

2012: https://pisquare.osisoft.com/message/4172
    2014: https://pisquare.osisoft.com/message/27621#comment-27621
    2017: https://pisquare.osisoft.com/thread/32721-possible-to-define-a-virtual-element-template

An abstract class/template is one that you must create a derived version of yourself, you cannot use it directly. It's a base template, but you want to prevent users from instantiating it directly.

You might implement the general attributes for pumps as an abstract template, but you require users to create a derived template for each pump type they have, and then instantiate an element from that.

41 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make it possible to sync AF enumeration sets to PI digital state sets.

With enumeration sets in AF being similar to Digital State sets in the Data Archive, it would be handy if it was possible to automatically sync enumeration sets to digital state sets. For scenarios that rely heavily on such sets, this would greatly increase their maintainability.

37 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

There are many potential issues with automatic syncing of PI Digital State Sets with AF Enumeration set. As with all synchronization, there needs to be a master. In addition, a single AF database may have PI Point Data References to multiple PI Data Archives each of which may have PI Digital State Sets that may have the same name, yet they may or may not have the same enumerations. Automatic synchronization also implies that we would keep watch on changes/updates and then make the corresponding changes. There are too many variables and complexities for automatic synchronization.

In PI Server 2018 SP2, we implemented a way to help users configure an AF enumeration set when the user configures a PI Point Data Reference attribute that we know is a digital PI Point. There’s an UI addition to PI System Explorer to help users with this mapping. However, note that this mapping…

4. "Network Manager" for PI AF Server

One of the common requests for health is the ability to track connections from clients.  PI Data Archive has a much more native capability (Network Manager Statistics).

Currently, client connectivity can be tracked via modifications to the .config file - this is documented in a KB article - but is likely insufficient and too difficult for our needs for health since it requires access to local server logs and also would not account for load-balanced servers.

https://techsupport.osisoft.com/Troubleshooting/KB/KB00412/

Basically, a "Network Manager Statistics" for PI AF Server.

25 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. PI System Explorer should not jump between attributes when a field is selected for editing

In PI System Explorer, if you double click on an attributes Name (or Value fields when the value type is string), it highlights the contained text to show it is being edited. If you start typing, it will replace the existing text, and the Home and End keys work as expected (jump to beginning/end of field). However, if you double click the field and press Home or End without typing, it instead jumps to the beginning/end of the attribute list. I would expect that, if a field is being edited, the Home and End keys work as usual. Due to…

11 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Configurable default Attribute ConfigString

Right now, when you create an attribute in a template and assign it a Data Reference of PI Point, it defaults to a ConfigString of "\%Server%\%Attribute%". %Server% has some known administrative headaches because what it populates as is dependent on the default server of the client tool.  But in our company we are constantly switching between environments and this causes mismatches.

As recommended by OSI we have created an attribute in the root AF element called Server and gave it a string value of the name of our server.  Now when we create a new attribute we map a reference…

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Improve the AFDatabase security model

Please remove the database level write access requirement to modify objects below the database level. This will:

1. Prevent users who should only have subobject write access from modifying the database.

2. Make the security model more intuitive for our users. If you want to edit ElementA, you need write access to just ElementA.

Although the current model provides a quick mechanism to shut off write access, I can already achieve this by reassigning user identities.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. PI AF Audit Trail: Option to exclude certain (tchnical interface) users from being audited

PI AF Audit Trail: Option to exclude certain (technical interface) users from being audited

Currently the only option for AF Server is to activate or disable audit trail. In our scenario most data is written by interfaces via SDK Calls. This leads to a very large audit trail and to 99% Audit Trail data that is not required (hard to find the human entries).

It would be helpful if a list of users could be configured that will not be audited.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. AF Tag Search, such as found in PI Builder, Should Show Snapshot Data

In Tag Configurator and PI SMT plug in.  Users are able to hover over tag search results to display the tag's snapshot data.

PI Builder should have the same functionality.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. PI AF Audit Trail to include export functionality

As someone with an extremely large Audit Trail, I would like the ability to export this data to a file as the viewer in PSE does not give me enough freedom to consume large quantities of audit data.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Ability to add Category to elements that do not have "Allow Extensions" set in their template

As a user, I want to be able to add Category to my elements in an adhoc fashion without having to be constraint by the element template, so that I can easily distinguish between elements created from the same template.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Remove timestamp from tooltip display for static or table lookup attributes in PSE

When hovering over an attribute in PI System Explorer for PI AF, the tooltip indicates a timestamp of 1/1/1970 12:00:00 AM. For static or table lookup attributes that have a Value Type of DateTime, this is confusing and misleading since two timestamps are displayed. The tooltip that appears when hovering should be modified so that the timestamp does not appear for DateTime attributes, and instead only the name and value are shown.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Bilinear Interpolation

Currently, interpolation is a function that allows users to estimate values from 1 column to another.  However, in industry, it is very possible to have to interpolate across multiple columns.  Having the option is cleaner an more accurate then using a multidimensional best fit curve to estimate

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Ability to search for AF objects using "OR" conditions

As a user, I want to be able to search using "OR" conditions in addition to "AND", so that I have more flexibility in configuring my searches to find objects more easily and accurately.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add "information" as a UOM class

An information UOM class is a natural fit for data that comes from the PI Interface for Performance Monitor and the PI Connector for PI System Health.

Units that should be included by default are bit, byte, kilobit, kilobyte, kibibit, kibibyte, ... up to tera-.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. "Attibute" spelling mistake

In PI System Explorer, there is a string that says "The Attibute's Data Reference supports the Create or Update Configuration command". "Attibute" is a misspelling of "attribute".

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Formula Attribute Data Type

As an AF Administrator, I would like value type for Formula attributes to stay the same so that when configuring Formula attributes with Boolean data types, they do not default back to Double, unless it is a brand new Formula attribute.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Implement UOM Group or mapping

As an user I want to be able to configure different UOM groups with default mappings between members of these groups so that users will get UOM based on the respective group when accessing the attributes from a client.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Search PI Points on a PI Data Archive by Value, Timestamp, and status.

As an user, I want to be able to search for PI Points on a PI Data Archive by value, timestamp and status so that I can retrieve the information that I need.

0 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
TELL US MORE
EVALUATING
PLANNED
IN DEVELOPMENT
COMPLETED
DECLINED