PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. PI Tag Renaming Detection for PI Vision/PE Calculations

When input PI Tags are referenced in PI Vision 2020+ calculations, they do not automatically detect PI Tag name changes. For users with a lot of calculations, this can be extremely problematic in the event of a PI Tag name change. In the event of a name change, the following error is produced: [-12301] Performance Equation parsing error. Possibly updating the PE scheduler to reference the PointID instead would be beneficial.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Preview Results should display values of variables in event frame generation analysis

If I want to create an analysis that generates an event frame in PI System Explorer, often times it's useful to check the values of variables to make sure that a calculation is being done as expected to mitigate error on my end, and make sure I am doing the calculation properly and have correct syntax for the order of operations (as an example). This can be done with expression types, which makes it easy to see the values of all the attributes and variables used in the analysis for a given time. There may also be a threshold that…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make badval() in Formula data reference equivalent to BadVal() in Analytics

Currently, BadVal() in Asset Analytics can handle situations like BadVal(1/0) without throwing a divide by zero error, but the badval() function in the Formula DR cannot. The request is to make them equivalent so that behavior is consistent across the product.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Provide options to connect PI Analysis service either to Primary or Any collective members

As a PI server Administrator I would like to have a way to decide the PI DA collective member Analysis server should connect.
    This will allow us to manage better the load on PI DA

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Changing status.

Addition clarifications on use case – user wants to be able to designate a specific PI Collective member for retrieving the inputs for analyses, but write back the results using BufSS to fan the results to all collective members. This is currently not possible.

5. Event Frame Generation - Dynamic Category

It'd be nice to dynamically set the Event Frame category within Asset Analytics.

Preferably have this as an option for each 'Start Trigger'.

This would be advantageous since 'category' is on the top level object and thus much more efficient to query than needing to go down into the EF attributes in order to filter further.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Give analyses format function the ability to format timestamp

Give analyses format function the ability to format timestamp similar to the one in the formula data reference. e.g. Format (datetime, "dd-MMM-yyyy HH: mm: ss");

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Logic for SQC calculations

I would like the ability to flag an SQC event only if I am in a batch, on a grade run, or in some other process condition. Right now, I am getting an SQC outside control limit when my phase is "inactive." Let there be more configuration of this in the analysis configuration.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Provide 'GoTo' like Funciton

Please provide a 'GoTo' like Funciton for Analysis Expressions to skip expressions or maybe even go back to a previous Expression.
    I realize you don't have line numbers per se, but if the Expressions operate in order, could you use the Variable Name?
    This would be extremely useful for skipping a block of code under certain scenarios where it's just too difficult for a mile long nested if/then.
    @ Kevin G., don't decline this, vote for it ;)

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. AF/Analysis Number Base Conversion Functions

There are no number base conversion functions available in AF Analysis. There are many situations where I need to convert numbers between different 'number bases'. I frequently work with MODBUS devices and there are many times number base conversions are needed to properly get data.

Example: Convert decimal to hex, hex to binary, etc.

I test many of my functions using Excel before implementing them in Analysis. Excel has functions such as HEX2BIN, DEC2HEX, etc. I'm actually surprised that, after many years of AF/Analysis development, these type functions are not available. These are valuable functions that should be implemented.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Improve Asset Analytics Data Cache performance to handle large scale changes

There is a considerable amount of downtime in our system (20+ minutes) when a template change is performed. The root cause is a limitation on how the analysis service handles the removal of AF Attributes from the Data Cache. Due to this limitation it takes a considerable amount of time to rebuild the cache.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add Process Capability Statistics fundtions (Cpk, Ppk)

While it is possible to manually calculate Process Capability Statistics, such as Cpk and Ppk, using AF Asset Analytics, it would be much more convenient to have a built in function to calculate these values, specifically in relation to the SQC Western Electric rules analyses available in AF asset analytics already.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Enable Compression for recalculated Analyses up to "Now"

Analysis Recalculation produces Out of Order Events, which means they are not compressed.
    The reason for this behavior is, that there is a more recent snapshot value existing. This also happens, when Recalculation is performed till "Now" (*), because the Analysis Service performs the Recalculation in chunks (see "Will PI Analysis Recalculation follow compression and exception?")

Would it be possible to make the Analysis Service first delete the time range fully (when recalculating up to "Now") and let it perform the recalculation in chunks afterward?
    This would not produce OOO Events and compression can be applied.

The only workaround at…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Expose triggering input to Analytics

If an analysis with multiple trigger attributes is triggerred, it is difficult to assess which attribute produced the trigger. Hasvaluechanged has it's limitations, and comparing PrevEvent is also cumbersome.

Instead of only receiving a timestamp for the Analysis to evaluate, i would like to receive both the Attribute name/path and value that triggered this event.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Limit the load of the PIRecalculationprocessor when backfilling

We had a few issues with key-users creating inefficient AF Analysis and starting a backfill over a longer time period.
    This resulted in a CPU load of 100% (caused by the PIRecalculationprocessor).
    The whole PI System got not responsive incl. PI System Explorer so unable to see anything.
    Killing the PIRecalculationprocessor.exe process didn't work because a new process (with new PID) was running in a split second. Also setting process priority to Low didn’t make any difference.

Need a way to limit the time period user can use to start backfill and / or limit the load of the PIRecalculationprocessor…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Bulk Analysis Error Reporting

As an administrator of my analyses, I would like to be able to get better visibility into my Error details when many of my analyses are in error.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Shutdown states should not be written into the analysis output PI Point by default

There should be an easy way to change the default value of the shutdown flag for analysis output PI Points. Right now, the default value is True, which means my analysis will show a "Shutdown" value every time I restart my PI Data Archive. The easiest way to modify it right now is in the attribute configuration and we can't easily use PI Builder to modify this parameter.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. scheduled recalculation

For our technical account we have to do recalulations on a daily basis, because of late arriving data. Auto-recalculation is not an option, because late arriving data that arrives after we have published the results, should not(!) be respected anymore. As soon as we have published the results they are mandatory and should not be modified anymore.

The recalculation takes about half an hour. So if the system could be recalculated by schedule (e.g. every day at 05:00), the recalculation would already be finished, when we start working and we don't have to trigger this manually in the morning anymore…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Mapping of event frame analysis variables to element attributes

It should be possible to map variables in event frame analysis to element attributes.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Support full dimensional analysis

As a user of Asset Analytics I would like the UOMs to be consistent and meaningful throughout the calculations that might involve various complex operations so that the written output values are meaningful and with the correct units.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

There are at least 3 items in this idea. 1) ability to designate analysis output UOM – this is currently possible via the Convert() function, 2) ability to retain UOM in some situations – this is currently possible in that if all the inputs to an analysis all UOM from the same class, the analysis output would retain the UOM, 3) (title) Support full dimensional analysis – this is very broad and can involve many things – for example, converting from mass to volumetric flow automatically. These types of full dimensional analysis is not currently in our development plan.

20. Create ability to easily reference previous or next value in array

When working with arrays in PI Analysis it would be nice to be able to compare a current value against the previous or next value. I have figured out that I can use PrevVal in the MapData function, however it appears that this goes back to data archive to do an evaluation on each data point.
    It would be nice to have something like $prevval and $nextval to compliment $val. Obviously any equations that use $prevval couldn't be evaluated on the first array item and similarly $nextval couldn't be evaluated on the last array item.

See attached screenshot for how…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
TELL US MORE
EVALUATING
PLANNED
IN DEVELOPMENT
COMPLETED
DECLINED