PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Extension of Rollup Scope without Excessive Computational Cost

If something I'll call lists are implemented following the model of categories (that is an element can belong to multiple, arbitrarily named entities) and rollup is extended to allow that as an option in addition to the parent element, this would allow many level rollup without the cost of recursion/tree-walking. A simple utility for list maintenance could be built that could do the recursion if that is viewed to be useful since performance would not be a problem for a one-off operation.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Check box option at attributes to handle PI tags that are bad and questionable

This suggestion is on how you manage the input tags into calculation that at some point it returned bad value (like I/O Timeout, Bad Input, Snapfix, etc...) or became questionable. These tags will make your calc at analysis become "Calc Failed". I know that we can use Exit() or NoOutput() function but it's impractical to do this again and again in each statement.

Generally "Calc Failed" can be caused by 2 reason, either the tag is bad or the calc itself cause error. But at least on the PI tags error we can handle at attributes level, and would be…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Change the default triggering for Analytics from Any Inputs

Leaving the default to Any Inputs for expression analytics can cause some performance issue as a calculation could end up triggering multiple times per second if there are several inputs. Since this is the default, some users may not take the time to evaluate the performance impacts and will leave it to that default configuration. Users should be required to select the input(s) they want for triggering before being able to save the analytics, or at least be warned that Any Inputs could be too expensive.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. analysis template extension

Analysis templates are useless if one need to adapt the analysis for some elements, for example in my case I need to change the "True for" clause in an Event Frame Generation Analysis, but I can't because it is created by a template.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Analysis variable configuration from attribute value

Having the ability to store analysis variable configuration (calculation) in an attribute value would help a lot in creating assets from template that have diverging analysis configuration.

For example, an attribute named attribute1 with a string value type could have the value "if '<attributeN>' = "OPEN" then 1 else 0. Then in the analysis, a variable could be simply configured as 'attribute1' and the configuration of the variable would be resolved and evaluated at runtime.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. give AF users the option to choose the write mode of an analysis in real time (replace existing value at a given timestamp, or not)

When having calculationWaitTimeInSeconds set to a large value in combination with an AF-SDK app triggering recalculations, it can happen that recalculation writes a value at timestamp x before this analysis is triggered to run in real-time for timestamp x. This results in having 2 events in the archive, for the same timestamp. When having EFs making a summary eventweighed, this results in a wrong value being captured as some events will be counted twice.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Expression function to retrieve default attribute value

I am migrating part of an old ACE application over to AF Analyses, and need to replicate the functionality to fall back to default values in case any of the input attributes are bad.

I have taken the time to set the default value in each attribute template, so if one sets the Data Reference to None, the static attribute will have a correct, default value.

But the analysis itself should contain functionality to revert to the default value if a bad input attribute value is detected, and with the current functionality I cannot access the default value. I will…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. PI Integrator for Business Analytics extend the decimal places

Found out that the decimal points is up to 3 decimal only. Can you improve the PI Integrator that has its own decimal places? and also not depending on the AF for adjusting the display digits?

Thanks

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Bulk recalculation via Management plugin

We are using Asset Framework analysis service for event creation for an asset performance project, providing the information which asset was running at which time. Events are created on a daily basis for reporting purposes. If Analysis service is restarted due to failure or patching, it happens that some of the events are not auto recalculated properly (i.e. creating a new event after service restart in addition to open event that already existed). We need to clean these up afterwards by manually trigger a recalculation of event analyses. By now I need to click every element to trigger the recalculation…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Autobackfilling did not complete: Interval exceeds maximum allowed limit

Upon an analysis service restart, the service will backfill and recalculate for the time range specified by the MaximumAllowedAutoBackfillingSpanInHours service configuration parameter; the default is 72 hours. Starting in PI Analysis Service 2.8.0, this parameter is user configurable. Any gap that exceeds MaximumAllowedAutoBackfillingSpanInHours are not automatically backfilled or recalculated but the message from the 'Issue' section is seen as a warning. We want the service automatically backfill and recalculate the analyses for the MaximumAllowedAutoBackfillingSpanInHours even the gap is greater than MaximumAllowedAutoBackfillingSpanInHours. Currently we have two options:
    Manually backfill the analysis OR
    Set analysis configuration parameter MaximumAllowedAutoBackfillingSpanInHours to a time range…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Initial value for HasValueChanged

When an Expression or Event Frame Generation analysis evaluates for the first time, the function HasValueChanged returns True even if the value has not actually changed. More proper behavior would be to default to false. The same holds true when manually backfilling causing incorrect values to be generated.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Be able to use variable as index in \Elements[@index=Variable]

I would like be able to use a variable as index instead of an integer number in \Elements[@index=variable] so I can always get attribute values of my child elements eventough the relation to my child element isn't always the same.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Have the choice to delete ALL event frames at recalculation, even if not created by the analysis itself

although it's not clearly written in PSE, recalculation of an event frame generation analysis will ONLY delete the event frames created by this analysis. Event frames created manually in PSE or via an AF-SDK application are NOT deleted. Depending of the use case this can result in wrong information for the end users. Solving this by a manual deletion is very time consuming and quite impossible in case you have a lot of elements to handle. Please allow us to select (in PSE and AF-SDK) that all event frames must be deleted

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Allow TagVal to select a specific value if several values stored at a same timestamp

We have cases where we have several values for the same tag at a specific timestamp.
    When we use tagVal in an analysis expression, the TagVal function returns the last stored value for the timestamp for the tag.
    We would like to be able to get (using a parameter) the First value stored for our calculations.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Analysis output type identified in statistics

Add some metadata to analysis statistics to identify which analyses are outputting to PI Points, which are configured as an Analysis Data Reference and which are a mix of both. Currently this isn't identified and can cause some confusion. For example, an analysis DR could be reported as skipping, but if it isn't used as the input of another analysis this would not necessarily cause any issues. It may be expensive for an AF Client to retrieve the data. It's however not accurate to say that the Analysis DR is skipping.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. PI Analysis Service Running/Not Running Tag/Notification

There should be a way to monitor if the analysis service is running, other then just checking if its running from services, or that analysis service is not connected on PSE. There are no specific performance monitor counters that monitor such a thing and analyses would not be possible as if the service is off they would not be ran.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. split analysis is real-time and recalculation part (different logic to be used)

It would be nice if we could have a "real-time" and "recalculate" part in an analysis. As source data could have changed you probably want sometimes the analysis to act in another way. Example: 2 attributes are used to trigger an event-triggered analysis and assume they write both a value for the same time stamp. in real-time this would mean that the analysis is triggered only once (1 trigger possible per time stamp) and is missing the value of one of the 2 attributes (depends who writes first). but with a recalculation both values are present and because of that…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. close/open event frames based on events, not transitions

I use analysis to toggle a boolean or integer from 0 to 1. This is used as source to close/open event frames (step continious mode). this is working fine in real-time. But when I do a recalculation for a part of time in the past (not until *) on the analysis toggling the boolean/integer, the result can be that the last event (on thePI point) in that time frame is equal to the next event. Causing wrong results when the recalculation of the event frame generation analysis is done. If we could tell to close/open an every event we would…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Set the DEFAULT analysis type to periodic, and/or allow the user to set the default in the config

The default is set to Natural (event driven), but best practices say that this is a very costly method. Creating thousands of analyses can lead to forgetting to change it to periodic.  My suggestion is that the default should be set to periodic and/or the user should be allowed to set what default analysis type they want in the configuration.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

ANSWERED  ·  1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Ability to track source of AF created PI tag to it's origin (dB/element/attribute/analysis)

I have thousands of tags based on AF analysis, both auto created by AF and some which have been converted from ACE, PE, Totalizers to AF.

Looking at the tags in Point Builder, DataLink, or SMT I am able to tell by Point Source that the tag is calculated in AF.  But where?  We use a single AF database for our SCADA, AMI, and Generation groups so browsing for an analysis is quite time consuming.

It would be nice to have a PI Tag attribute that would show the "path" to the analysis.  \Database\Element\Child\Child\Attribute\Analysis and that this information could easily…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
TELL US MORE
EVALUATING
PLANNED
IN DEVELOPMENT
COMPLETED
DECLINED