PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Summary calculations over event frame range

As a consumer of event frame data, I would like to perform a summary calculation over the duration of an event frame when an event frame closes.  The output should be stored where it can be trended and analyzed.

Note: This was previously Enhancement 109090.

90 votes
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Event-Weighted Summary Functions

Allow for Asset Analytics to support event-weighted summary functions (as opposed to time-weighted), such as average and count. This will allow for easily aggregating changes in digital tags, discrete sensor readings (e.g., bucket count), etc. This would allow Asset Analytics to easily perform many of the event-weighted functions of PI Totalizers.

81 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add Covariance and Max-Covariance functions to Asset Analytics

Currently PI ACE calculations are used to verify if the data from redundant sensors is trustworthy. The PI ACE module implements Covariance and Max-Covariance calculations. The customer would like to move from PI ACE to Asset Analytics and is facing the issue that Asset Analytics is corrently not offering any extensibility nor Covariance / Max-Covariance functions. The Attachment describes the desired functions based on the PI ACE code.

The function description is attached with "Correlation Analysis Use Case_public.pdf".
    Things we clarified / detailed more are:

- PI Data Archive doesn't support Array data types and there's not much…

49 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Basic Linear Regression: Slope, Intercept, and R-squared

Wondering if there's interest in basic linear regression calculations, e.g. slope, intercept, R2, to analyze data.
    Sample use cases:

1. Calculate the rate of withdrawal from oil wells to stay within compliance limits

2. Calculate linear performance curve based on normalized production to normalized energy consumption to determine motors that are failing

3. Determine when a manufacturing process has reset based on when a slope flattens out

4. Help operators control plant by looking at slope.  Currently using an Excel spreadsheet that must be constantly refreshed.

The slope and intercept calculations in combination with PI Sever's support for predictive data would be cool.  Imagine…

48 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Run analyses in the context event frames (EF)

As a user of asset analytics I would like to have an analysis run on event frame while the event frame is opened / in progress so that I can perfrom real time calculations in the event frame context.

47 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Conditional Exit for Analysis Expressions

Sometime you want to do an analyse only when one or more conditions are true, if the are not true you want to exit the analyse, so steps below the conditional exit are not evaluated/executed. The conditional in Analytics should look like:

if condition = true then exit analyse

At the moment this is only possible with the function NoOutput(), but then the mapped attribute should be connected to an PIPoint and you have to fill in a else condition. All rows below the conditional exit will not be executed.

44 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Navigate from output attributes to corresponding analysis

As a user, I'd like to be able to easily find the analysis writing to a particular output attribute.  From the Attributes tab, I should be able to click on an output attribute, then click on a link that brings me directly to the analysis that is writing to it.

40 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Automatic handling of Out-of-order and late arriving data

As a process engineer I have many incoming data streams to my PI Server and not all of those are always reliable. I would like the Analysis Service automatically handle late arriving/Out-of-order data so that I would not need to go and figure out the timeranges to manually recalculate the affected analyses

40 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Stop backfilling / recalculation of analyses

It's great that we have one more option as recalculation other than backfilling in Analyses plugin.

The backfilling / recalculation of analyses is manual process we do, because of delayed data or change of logic of analysis. In this case, sometime it happens that user has defined wrong period or selected wrong analysis while clicking on backfill / recalculate option, and if # of analysis selected are large, then it is quite frustrating to let wrong backfilling/recalculation be completed.

To stop current backfilling / recalculation operation, non-recommended approach is update the RecalculationProcessor.RequestedRecalculations.xml file. Problem with this approach is that end…

35 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Dynamic output time stamp based on Expression

As an analytics user, I would like to be able to have the output time stamp for my expression and roll up analyses decided at evaluation time based on the time stamp of another attribute.

31 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Automatically trigger a calc back fill

When a trigger happens, be able to automatically back fill data over a time period (like last 24 hours).

For example, trigger events analysis rule to back fill when a condition becomes true.

27 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Event Frame Rollup

It would be extremely useful to have AF Analyses within an Event Frame. The particular use case I have in mind is rolling up child Event frames to a parent.

17 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. EventCount() with value filter

Currently EventCount() returns the number of values that a particular attribute contains for given time range.  However, there is no way to have an attribute value filter. 

Use case: I want to be able to easily count the number of times my state tag = "Fault" for the past month. Adding a value filter to the EventCount() function, like TimeEq() has, would allow me to do this.

16 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is now possible with the analysis arrays and associated functions introduced with the AF 2018 release. Specifically, you can now use the RecordedValues() or RecordedValuesByCount() function along with the FilterData() function to accomplish this request.

14. Exclude analysis function

On PSE we have the possibility to exclude some attributes.
    Right click on an attribute > properties: "Excluded".

To stay consistent, it would be useful to have the same feature for Analysis.

Thank you

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Choose the timestamp output for an analysis based on a variable of calc

So far, we have the ability to choose an option among: "Trigger Time", "Execution Time" and "Relative to Trigger Time" for the output Timestamp.
    I'd like to have other option based on a variable type timestamp a the same analysis.
    I uploaded a draft view... ;-)

here is the original thread link: https://pisquare.osisoft.com/thread/11178

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

COMPLETED  ·  0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Standard Round Function in Asset-Analytics

The current function "Round()" implements banker's rounding. User's would also like a function that implements standard rounding.

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Define UOMs for outputs

As a Process Engineer I want to specify UoMs so that calculation will write the correct value back to attributes that are stored in different UOM or don't have UOM defined

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Moving Average / Moving weighted average FUNCTION in AF Analysis

our customer wants to have a moving average / moving weighted average function available in AF analysis.

So far they are using the prevevent and prevval functions.

However with more samples the formula gets too long.

11 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Notification e-mail delivery channel to accept multiple email address in a single enpoint

In AF Service 2017 R2, Notification no longer supports multiple e-mail addresses delimited by comma (,) or semicolon (;) to be added in a single delivery endpoint. If we do so, it will only send an e-mail only to the first recipient.

The workaround is to create each contacts and tie them in a group.

However, there is a case where the customer wants to include all the e-mail addresses of the recipients on the "TO" field so that the recipients can know who are getting the e-mail.

If we create a group and add endpoints, each recipients only see…

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. PI Analysis: Auto-backfill should not skip analyses - ones that hasn't had an new value in a while (72+hrs)

Whenever the PI Analysis Service is restarted, the auto-backfill feature (if enabled) kicks in, and backfills any gaps from the downtime.

However, the analysis service will not auto-backfill analyses that haven't been updated in the last 72 hours. This leads to a potential risk that any analysis that doesn't write data more frequently than every 72 hours, will potentially not auto-backfill upon a restart of the PI Analysis Service.

Although the value of "MaximumAllowedAutoBackfillingSpanInHours" can be changed, this is not a suitable solution.

Such analyses (that were not auto-backfilled) can still be backfilled manually, but this presents a manageability problem.

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
TELL US MORE
EVALUATING
PLANNED
IN DEVELOPMENT
COMPLETED
DECLINED