PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Display time when analysis went into error

PI System Explorer should show the last time an analysis went into error on the Management tab.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

In order to track last execution time for analyses across restarts, we would have to store this information somewhere. At the same time, you can already look at the output timestamp of the calculation results to see the last time an analysis successfully produced an output. If we were to make that available on the Management tab, would that suffice?

2. Delayed Triggers for Analytics

We have some data analyzers in the DCS system that provide results to PI tags in a delayed fashion.

Sample use case:
    (t+0s) valve closes,
    (t+30s) measurement1 sent to the DCS tag m1
    (t+60s) measurement2 sent to the DCS tag m2.

We need to trigger a analysis off of the valve closure, but we need  Sleep(30) command in the analytic, or the ability to set per-analytic delays, so that some are delayed by 30 or 60  seconds.

Or is this possible today by other means?

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

ANSWERED  ·  1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Shutdown states should not be written into the analysis output PI Point by default

There should be an easy way to change the default value of the shutdown flag for analysis output PI Points. Right now, the default value is True, which means my analysis will show a "Shutdown" value every time I restart my PI Data Archive. The easiest way to modify it right now is in the attribute configuration and we can't easily use PI Builder to modify this parameter.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Support full dimensional analysis

As a user of Asset Analytics I would like the UOMs to be consistent and meaningful throughout the calculations that might involve various complex operations so that the written output values are meaningful and with the correct units.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

There are at least 3 items in this idea. 1) ability to designate analysis output UOM – this is currently possible via the Convert() function, 2) ability to retain UOM in some situations – this is currently possible in that if all the inputs to an analysis all UOM from the same class, the analysis output would retain the UOM, 3) (title) Support full dimensional analysis – this is very broad and can involve many things – for example, converting from mass to volumetric flow automatically. These types of full dimensional analysis is not currently in our development plan.

5. Event Frame Generation - Step Continuous Mode need not be based on Digital State Sets

If there are no zeroth state needed for this type of operation then I don't see the need for the triggering input to be tied to a Digital State Set.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

ANSWERED  ·  1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add support for using dynamically resolved attributes as inputs for PE and Event Frame Generation analyses

As an analysis user, I would like to be able to specify the path for an AF attribute and use it for my calculation logic at all places that expect an attribute input.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Trigger Time

Need a way to utilize the trigger time in analysis functions.

'*' refers to now or snapshot values

Using timestamp('triggered attribute','*') only works if there is only one triggered attribute configured.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Analysis - Edit periodic scheduling in bulk

Would be good to have one screen to manage the periodic scheduling for  all analyses in a given AF database.  This way, you can standardize where it makes sense to, and look for outliers (analyses that may have been scheduled incorrectly).

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Additional parameters for analysis function "EventFrame"

Currently the analysis function "EventFrame" supports parameters "StartTime", "EndTime" and "Duration".

I would like to see additional parameters "StartTriggerName" and maybe also "StartTriggerExpression".

That could be useful for creating different "Outputs at close" for different start triggers.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

StartTriggerName and StartTriggerExpression can be saved to an event frame attributes via the Advanced Event Frame setting dialog box.

It is unclear what you want to do with these two parameters. Can you further clarify?

10. Provide a way to get context information in Expression and Event Frame Generation analyses

As a user of Asset Analytics I would like to reference parent element attributes, name, and other context information in Expression and Event Frame Generation analyses, even when it is not known during configuration time what the parent element will be so that I can write better conditionals such as : If ParentElement = “Foo” then ‘..\Foo|attributeFoo’ ELSE ‘..\Bar|attributeBar’

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Set the DEFAULT analysis type to periodic, and/or allow the user to set the default in the config

The default is set to Natural (event driven), but best practices say that this is a very costly method. Creating thousands of analyses can lead to forgetting to change it to periodic.  My suggestion is that the default should be set to periodic and/or the user should be allowed to set what default analysis type they want in the configuration.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Ability to track source of AF created PI tag to it's origin (dB/element/attribute/analysis)

I have thousands of tags based on AF analysis, both auto created by AF and some which have been converted from ACE, PE, Totalizers to AF.

Looking at the tags in Point Builder, DataLink, or SMT I am able to tell by Point Source that the tag is calculated in AF.  But where?  We use a single AF database for our SCADA, AMI, and Generation groups so browsing for an analysis is quite time consuming.

It would be nice to have a PI Tag attribute that would show the "path" to the analysis.  \Database\Element\Child\Child\Attribute\Analysis and that this information could easily…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Trigger an event frame each day on a specific trigger

I would like to trigger an event frame on a PI Point, however, that trigger may last for several days. During that time I would like the event frame to close at midnight and automatically reopen a new event frame for my event driven event frame.

Here is an example: Pretend you are measuring the outside air temperature, you want your trigger to trigger when it goes above 50F, chances are your event frame could go on for days before it drops below 50F. Instead of it to go on for days I want a new event frame to create…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. "Quick watch" function for analyses

While creating and/or debugging analyses in PI System Explorer, I would like to have available an instant evaluation dialog.

This would be something I can bring up empty, and start typing (if in template, use the context of the currently selected Example Element) to evaluate a formula.

If I right click a formula or expression already placed in a variable I would like to see "Evaluate in Instant Window" or "Evaluate instantly", where the dialog is brought up with that text pre-defined. If the expression you right clicked contains time expressions (such as start time, end time) I would like…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

ANSWERED  ·  4 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
TELL US MORE
EVALUATING
PLANNED
IN DEVELOPMENT
COMPLETED
DECLINED