PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ability to modify SOAP xml format

There are some cases when the sender wants to modify the format of the SOAP xml itself. Currently Notifications service constructs a XML request including all the variables provided by the wsdl.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Notifications Subscriptions Notify Option defaults to "Start and End"

Many EFs are poor health in nature such that notifying the user when the event is ended is very important. Many users don't realize that this is an option. Either make start and end the default or present all choices more visibly to the user. This will reduce the amount of time users spend chasing poor health events.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Disable Members from the Contact Groups

In PI Notification - Disable Members from the Contact Groups. This would help to temporarly susprese Notifications to certain Users. Currently we have to completely delete a User, and then later (when again interessted) add the user again to the group. Desabling would make the process easier.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Notifications format editor "Create a Link" tool should allow the base address to be substituted from a URI Builder Data Reference attribute

As a Notifications user, I would like to be able to use certain features of the "Create a Link" tool for editing Notifications Formats, like the ability to display alternate text and add url parameters, when the url is held in an attribute that is a URI Builder Data Reference.

Currently, you must explicitly specify the base address in the Notification Format for the template (the base address does not accept substitution from a URI Builder Data Reference attribute). This is a problem when each element based off the template should have a different URL.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Dependency between Notifications

It would be nice to have a dependency between Notification in a way that if one Notification is sent other Notifications are not sent.

My use case is this. I have a corporate AF Server that monitors multiple sites. If a site loses power, I would like my subscribers to be notified once of the power outage and not notified for each system and subsystem. This has happen in the past were a power outage caused a few thousand of emails to be sent which bogged down the SMTP server. Instead a simple email notifying the subscribers of the power…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Online Course for PI Notification Rules

I believe the rather complex process of migrating from the legacy version of PI Notifications to PI Notification Rules and the new paradigm of how they operate deserves an online course in how to migrate, set up, configure, test and improve your new PI Notification Rules.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

ANSWERED  ·  1 comment  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add functionality to tables to make it more dynamic and easier to configure in a format.

As a notification user I want to see a table of all the attributes and its values on the target element in my email, furthermore when I add or remove attributes I want to see it automagically updated in my email without me having to reconfigure the table in my format.  

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Notification delay setting similar to True For on EF Gen analysis

Allow the ability to configure a delay in sending Notifications so that they would only send if the triggering event frame is open for a configurable amount of time.

This is possible at the analysis level using the True For setting; however, this does not allow to track all triggering events with Event Frames but only be notified for events that last for a certain duration.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Allow multiple Notification Message Formats for the same Notification

For Notifications which send on Event Start and Event End, it would be useful to have the ability to have multiple Message Formats for the same Notification (one to send out at start, one to send out at end).

Advantages:
    -Can include "End Time" in only the Notification sent at end (rather than showing an erroneous 1/1/1970 00:00:00 included in the Notification sent at start)
    -Can include "Duration" in only the Notification sent at end
    -Can fully customize different messages for start and end of the Event Frame

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Allow dots in JSON property names when using REST Delivery Endpoints

When configuring a Noification with a REST Delivery Endpoint, there is no way to escape a dot (".") so it doesn't gets interpreted as a path delimiter. There are cases when the dot must be part of the property name. One way to solve it would be to allow escaping it with a backslash or even better (IMHO) to use the JSONPath way to solve this: being able to specify arbitrary property names putting them between brackets and single quotes: ['prop.erty'].

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Enable headers for SOAP web service end point

As a PI Administrator I need PI Notifications to support custom headers for SOAP web service end points. Some external systems require specific headers and currently it is only possible to customize headers for REST end points. As an example of an external system, to utilize Maximo security a custom header must be included.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Drag and drop multiple contacts into subscriber list.

Enable users to drag and drop multiple contacts into the subscribers pane, rather than selecting each contact one at a time.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Enable Trace logging per Notification or Notification Template

As an PI System administrator, I would like to leave the Trace flag on for important Notifications. This would avoid having to wait for an issue to reoccur to troubleshoot. Currently the Trace flag is a service wide property. If left on for an extended period of time, the logs get flooded and the log files consume quite a bit of disk space.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Give users the option to search existing Notification Contact Groups

In the "Contacts" pane, allow users to search through existing Notification Contact Groups.
    Additionally, give users the option to organize contact groups in some way, either by who created the group or by extending AF Categories to the contacts pane.

Example:

Notification Contact Groups can be configured to match how various engineers are organized into different teams throughout a company.
    However, another engineer using AF may unknowingly create duplicate notification contact groups, as they cannot easily find an existing contact group with the desired configuration.
    This leads to inconsistencies between notifications (different contact groups that reference the same list of…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Change Event Frame Analysis Category of the Specific Element

If I have an element template with event frame analyses and notifications, I might want to change the event frame analysis category of a specific element. I thought this could be done by selecting “Allow Extensions” for the element template, but I can’t seem to change the analyses category or notification category for a specific element even when I allow extensions. From a management standpoint it would be nice to filter on these categories to turn on/off specific analyses and notifications.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Shift based sending

As a Plant manager I would like to assign specific people to receive notifications based on the time of day since they work in shifts and different people are responsible for the equipment at different times of the day.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Send screenshots via Notification E-Mail without embedded link

As explained here: https://pisquare.osisoft.com/s/question/0D71I000002Qce2

As we have lots of external users, we have a PI Vision server that uses OpenID and two factor authentication.
    However, the PI Notification system does not support that. So screenshots are made on a PI Vision server that uses Windows authentication via Kerberos, but is unreachable for practically everyone.
    However, currently all screenshots have a link to the dashboard embedded. Having a dead/unreachable link embedded in the image leads to lots of confusion and questions. That's why we want only the image, but no link.

Optimally, this would be a parameter that could be set…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Schedule PI Notifications "outages"

It would be very useful if an "outage" for PI Notifications could be scheduled. We often start or finish maintenance well outside of work hours, and the flood of PI Notifications can annoy users who are not on site.
    Ideally we could set an outage for PI Notification emails during a set advance time (eg between 5 and 8am on the 19th June 2021).

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Summary Notifications

Add the ability to send one email with multiple notifications inside it. User can get overwhelmed if they're getting a lot of SQC notifications at once, would be nice if it was one email with the various notifications listed.

This would work: Every X minutes the Summary would run and if any new notifications came up it would send them as one email.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Allow notification subscribers based on Severity

Allow Notification subscribers to receive notification based on severity level. For example if start trigger is warning send it to A, B, C emails; if start trigger severity is minor then send it to A-F emails; etc.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
TELL US MORE
EVALUATING
PLANNED
IN DEVELOPMENT
COMPLETED
DECLINED