PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Append Searches on PI Builder

Add ability to add to existing PI Points in a PI Builder worksheet, compared to Overwriting worksheet.

Side note: extend it to all objects, not just PI Points.

25 votes
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  PI Builder  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow changing element reference types in PI Builder

PI Builder should allow changing element reference types. Currently, changes to element reference types are skipped when published in PI Builder.

12 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. RecNo object type option on PI Builder

On current PI Builder 2018 there is no option to select the RecNo attribute for a PI point by default.

For instance, this would be helpful to recover deleted points such as we do with piconfig command. I would like to see if it would be possible to include this option on a future version of PI Builder.

Note: I know we can enable the "recno" object type by typing it out on the header as explained on "KB01413 - Importing Attributes for a Given List of Tags Using PI Builder" but it would be good to have this option…

11 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PI Builder  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Filter out uniqueid and GUID strings from analysis rules when exporting analysis templates

When exporting Analysis Templates to excel with PI Builder, the AnalysisRuleVariableMapping and the AnalysisRuleConfigString normally includes uniqueid and GUID of the input and output attributes.

It would be nice to have the possibility to filter them out when exporting, so we don't have to remove those manually when we want to reuse the rules in some other analyses.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PI Builder  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

PI Server 2018 has been released. The XML export/import allows you to exclude the GUIDs. PI Builder support is forthcoming in the 2018 R2 release. If you wish to keep this suggestion open until then, please let me know.

5. Increase the maximum number of tags PI Builder can import into Excel

As a PI admin I would like to manage my tag configuration in bulk to efficiently carry out my role. PI Builder and excel provide a good way to do this for medium tag counts, however, the limitation of 100,000 tags makes it difficult to do this for large systems where tag counts can far exceed this number.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Add a mandatory "Error Message" column

Currently, if there are issues with any rows that the user tried to publish, the error messages appear in a separate window mixed in with the success messages, and the troublesome rows are highlighted in red font. Having the separate window only creates more work for the user, since they must match the message to the row.

A better approach would be to have a mandatory "Error Message" column. When the user clicks on "Publish", the error and success messages go in the "Error Message" column in the row where the error/success occurred.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PI Builder  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow for a search on any attribute

In PI Builder, when searching for tags, there is a limited number of attributes available. Add the ability to select the attribute of choice, such as ExDesc. When trying to find a PE tag that uses a function in question, being able to select ExDesc is important

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PI Builder  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Be able to output point configuration from a list of tags that is already in Excel

For example, after exporting the stale/bad tag list from SMT, use PI Builder to pull out the instrument tag and location 1-5 information to only edit and check the points on that list. Some times, not all points from a point source is having an issue.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This capability is already in the current version of PI Builder (2018 SP2). Here’s what you need to do:

1) Assuming you have the list of PI Points of interest, make sure the first column (Selected(x)) has a “x” in it.
    2) Select the “Headers” icon from the Excel ribbon and choose the tag attributes that you want. In your example, you would choose instrument tag and location 1-5. You should now see new column headings in your spreadsheet.
    3) Select the “Retrieve” icon and instrument tag and location 1-5 would be populated.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
TELL US MORE
EVALUATING
PLANNED
IN DEVELOPMENT
COMPLETED
DECLINED