PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.

How can we improve the PI Server?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Percentile function

As a user of analyses, I would like to have a Percentile function so that I can filter out atypical events when doing summary calls. The function would look like this: Percentile('attribute', 'timerange', value). This is related to enhancement request WI 44140.

36 votes
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Community Edition Of PI

Offer a free Community Edition of PI. Limit the point count, but let us geeks monitor our IOT hobbies with PI. This will encourage business buy in and increase general knowledge of OSIsoft throughout the geek community.

35 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. PI System Explorer (PSE PI AF) Web

Please consider creating a web application like PI Vision Admin, PI Web API Search, PI Manual Logger for Web, and the various integrators, but for PI System Explorer (PSE, PI AF). I would prefer this to the client-server design now. It would make version management, software dependency management, upgrading, firewall/network-services management, etc. easier. This would obviate the need to re-package the OSIsoft installers in whatever software package management software an organization uses. Another solution would be to use the Windows 10 application store. However, that wouldn't mesh well with using Cloud IaaS services. OSIsoft could even offer this new PSE…

34 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

RESEARCHING / EVALUATING  ·  7 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Multistate values on Notification emails

As a user of PI AF and Notifications Service, I would like to send emails, with contents whose color will be changing according to the condition, like a Multistate Symbol on PI Processbook. I would like to avoid creating a number of email formats with the personalized contents.

34 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add the ability to link UOM field in AF to attribute value within PSE

We use a custom data reference to store UOM information in an AF Attribute, which is then stored in PI using Tag Creation and substitution parameter. Currently there is no way to automate the UOM written in an AF attribute to the UOM field of the "target" attribute.

A possible way of doing this, from a user perspective, would be to allow substitution parameters to be used in UOM definition.

31 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add configurable defaults for PI Point "Pointsecurity" and "Datasecurity"

Read access to the PIPOINT table is required for most identities. Pointsecurity and Datasecurity currently use the settings on the PIPOINT table as the default. New points will generally give read access to most identities because of these defaults. This makes it difficult to configure an identity with read access to some points, but not all points (common when giving external contractors limited access).

Additionally, for best practice security, buffer identities need read access to Pointsecurity, but read/write access to Datasecurity. There is currently no way to configure this combination as a default.

Adding two new tables (ex. PTSECDEFAULT and…

30 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Periodic trigger monthly and yearly

I would like to have monthly and yearly periodic trigger for Analysis-Expression and Event Frame Generation. Currently I have to use the daily trigger and check in the analysis if the month or the year changed. In case of “false” there is no output. In the case of “true” there is an output. This works but it is circuitous.

30 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. PI Analysis Performance Checker

Currently PI Analysis Service has a built-in Statistics tool in PI System Explorer.

It is able to show statistics regarding Evaluation and Calculation Lag as well as Skipped Evaluations and some other important information.

PI System Explorer could run these statistics periodically and notify the user (in the Management tab or in the Analysis tab itself) whenever a PI Analysis has its parameters out of certain values (could cause a bad performance)

So that the users could avoid performance issues more easily.

29 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. PI AF - Child Event Frames using different template to parent

We currently have Event Frames generating for machine faults, with child event frames then tracking things such as maintenance team response time etc.
    Leveraging this data in excel reports is proving difficult however due to the Child Event Frames having the same template and naming convention as the parent.
    If Child Event Frames could have custom naming or different templates it would be extremely valuable

28 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Analytics function for Last Good Value

We have come across a number of occasions where we want to bring in the last good value of an attribute as an input to an analytics.  But there is no way to do this without additional attributes and analytics.  It would be convenient if a function existed that brought in the last good value of the attribute.  This is particularly useful when your data source is known to send NULL value frequent which translate into No Data or Bad Input.  One specific example:

We have a number of analytics that only run if one of our engine is on. …

27 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Make Analysis trigger on different inputs when timestamps of input tags are equal

If an Analysis is triggered on "Any Input", and the inputs have the same timestamp but come in after each other, the Analysis is only triggered at the first input.

For example: We have a simple Analysis which summarizes 2 tag.
    The first tag comes in a 14:00, with timestamp 14:00. This triggers the calculation. The second tag comes in at 14:02 also with timestamp 14:00. Now the calculation in not triggered anymore.

We've also discussed this with Techsupport, and they came with the following statement: "With Event Triggered, the first value to come into the PI DA is used…

27 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Compare timestamps and output most recent value in child elements to parent element

From a varying number of child elements (all sharing the same template), I want to find the most recent timestamp of a same template-based attribute, and output the value with timestamp to an attribute in the parent element.
    In addition, constantly (event-triggered/periodic) comparing the timestamps of these child element attributes and always output the "newest" value to the parent element attribute.

Example:

From 3 child elements, all sharing the same template with attribute "ALARM", I want to have the most recent value comparing the 3 "ALARM"s, and have this timestamp and value in an attribute in the parent element.

Suggestions…

26 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Support setting data quality related flags from analysis

As a user of Asset Analytics I would like to manipulate data quality related flags (such as quastionable, substituted, etc) from my analysis so that I can set the flag when there is a problem with input value statuses.

26 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. List Notifications by User

It would be useful to add a feature to list notifications by user. This feature would be helpful in managing the list of notifications as more notifications are created and as users change job roles.

25 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Notifications email acknowledgement

To have an email acknowledgement system where recipients can reply to the email and have the notification acknowledged

24 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Attribute UOM Substitution Parameter

If you have a PI Point attribute with auto tag creation and you want the attribute UOM and PI Point engunits to match, you have to define it twice; once in the attribute UOM field and a second in the attribute configuration string, e.g. engunits=m3. If there was a substitution parameter for the attribute's UOM, you could use it in the attribute configuration string, e.g. engunits=%AttributeUOM%.

23 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Expose SQC calculations to the asset model

As a PI user, I want to be able to visualize and analyze the SQC violations that are generated by the SQC rules. 

The ability to save SQC outputs such as  Mean, median, mode, stdev, Cpk, max, min, 1-5 sigma zones, ucl, lcl in the following ways

1) the EF associated with the SQC rule - essentially the alarm event
    2) an EF associated with a process event.  I want SQC summaries added as EF attributes bound by process event frames
    3) AF clients.  I want to be able to add Cpk, sigma etc for any applicable AF attribute to…

23 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Support import/export of AF tables in PI Builder

As a user, I want to be able to import/export AF tables using PI Builder, so that I can make changes as needed.

23 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PI Builder  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Enable headers for SOAP and REST Web Service Notifications

The feature added in 2017 R2 was for authentication of the SOAP payload, not for managing headers within the payload.  PI remains unusable as a secure source of data for Maximo without it because you can't configure a MAXAUTH header.

There's no way to configure headers for Notification Rules associated with a PI AF Services v2017 SP1 Elements with a SOAP or REST Web Service Endpoint.  Authenticated web services, such as our company's Maximo's meter data inbound service requires a MAXAUTH header with a base64-encrypted username:password string.  As a result, you can't use PI as a source of data for…

22 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Support Analysis Data Reference Step Functionality

Use case: User wants to trend Analysis Data Reference in client tools (Processbook, Coresight). User doesn’t want to create a PI tag for this output. Currently, the AnalysisDR ignores step, even if it’s input attributes are step.

22 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED