PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.

How can we improve the PI Server?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. % good property of rollup analyses

As a user, I would like to configure my rollups to display a value only if the quality of my inputs reaches a minimum % good (configurable). Currently, it's not clear which inputs are used in the rollup calculation- even if some inputs have bad values, the rollup calculates and appears normal.

21 votes
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Ensure data is identical between collective members

As a PI Administrator, I need to trust that the data is identical between my collective members. Currently, there is no way for me to be sure it is the same unless I do a side by side comparison. Data can be missing, or slightly off, and I have no easy way to understand this right now.

21 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Composite element templates

As an user I want to be able to create a template hierarchy (parent-child) all at once, so that I can easily create a hierarchy representing related assets. For example, create a motor, gearbox, compressor train with a single template that actually consists of (in this case) 3 templates.

21 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Attribute UOM Substitution Parameter

If you have a PI Point attribute with auto tag creation and you want the attribute UOM and PI Point engunits to match, you have to define it twice; once in the attribute UOM field and a second in the attribute configuration string, e.g. engunits=m3. If there was a substitution parameter for the attribute's UOM, you could use it in the attribute configuration string, e.g. engunits=%AttributeUOM%.

19 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Undelete PI tags

Recovering a PI tag that was deleted accidently is extremly annoying.
    Why do I have to create a new tag and reprocess all historical archives to convert the old tag to the new tag in the archives? (https://techsupport.osisoft.com/Troubleshooting/KB/2651OSI8/)

It should be quite easy to just recreate the original tag if you have the pointid and recno. Maybe when deleting a tag you should only mark the tag as deleted instead of removing it from the pi point table.

19 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. AF Transformer sync functionailty

1. AF Transformer should be able to sync changes made in the source AF Database: if an element is added, deleted or edited.  For the deletions there should be a way to select the behavior: delete an object from the target database, place it under a different hierarchy, rename or do nothing. 
    2. It would be also helpful to have an additional AF property in AF - deletion flag. A power user will be reviewing a list of elements flagged for deletion and will be making a decision - delete, rename, move or do nothing (similar to functionality in the…

19 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  AF Transformer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Error analysiss

As an AF administrator. I want a simple way to generate a complete list of all analyses in error for an entire AF Server. Currently, the only way to retrieve analyses in error is in PI System Explorer which is restricted to a single database and there is no way to export the list.

19 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Remove installation kits' dependency on write permission to root C:\.

Some organizations do not provide admin accounts with write permission to the root C:\ directory. The install kits of most PI products copy the setup.ini to C:\pisetup.ini, and then write the logs to C:\ before moving them to %pipc%\dat, both of which require write permission to C:\. The only workaround for now is to find someone with that permission to run the kit (typically an IT member).

19 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Installation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Self Sign Up for Notification

As a User I wants to decide if I am interessted to receive a Notification or not. There should be the option that I can see all Notifications for an Element, and I want to sign me to receive those Notifications.
    This should be full User driven directly e.g. in PI Vision

19 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Show Child Attribute in Analysis PE Editor Auto-Complete

As a user configuring Analyses, I would the the Performance Equation (PE) Editor's auto-complete to suggest any child attributes as well as regular attributes.  Note: This was previously Enhancement 109589.

19 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Auditviewer App Suggestion

I want the ability to determine what PI System Configuration Changes (AF & PI Data Archive) are legitimate and approved, with the criteria of being able to focus on changes that occurred during a user defined time range. I want to minimize the time it takes to confirm that changes were appropriate with the ability to focus on certain tags/af attributes and/or time for the change.

I want the ability to associate a change control record to PI System Configuration Changes.

19 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Support import/export of AF tables in PI Builder

As a user, I want to be able to import/export AF tables using PI Builder, so that I can make changes as needed.

19 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PI Builder  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. "Outputs at Start"group

It would be nice if there were an "Output at start" option to output values at the start of an event frame. Currently there is an "Outputs at close" option for Event Frames.

18 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Allow changes to pitimeout table (tuning parameters) to be audited

I can be helpful when tracking down issues or troubleshooting past events what the values of tuning parameters were at a given time. Adding the ability to Audit this table would allow retrospective insight into tuning parameter configurations.

A similar enhancement specifically regarding Auditing can be found here:
    https://feedback.osisoft.com/forums/555148-pi-server/suggestions/18740068-track-if-auditing-was-turned-off

18 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. AF Elements reference across AF Databases

Customer would like to be able to use AF Data References to reference AF Elements that reside in different AF Databases. This would allow him to not have to replicate elements and attributes across multiple databases.

18 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Be able to sort Elements and be displayed in ways other than alphabetically.

We have seen several instances where we would like to have the order of element displayed in AF/Vision be sorted by process order, not alphabetically.  Suggest adding a "sort" field and an option to have element arranged by that rather than alphabetically.

18 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Tag Search GUI consistency among client tools

Consistency among tag search GUIs within client products (PI Builder, DataLink, SMT, ProcessBook, etc.)  The search in PI Builder has limited functionality and would be nice to have the same search GUI as used in SMT and ProcessBook.

18 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Allow Copy & Paste of Notification Rules

I would like to be able to copy a notification rule in PI System Explorer from an existing element or template and paste it on another element or template. That way when I have similar notification rules, I can copy/paste and make only the changes I need instead of recreating the rule.

18 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Add reset and hold triggers to SQC analytics

Add the triggers to SQC rules to reset or hold the SQC rule. When monitoring a periodic or batch based process, a user needs to be able to hold the SQC rule or put that rule in a hold state until the process resumes. Without this feature, virtually all violations to the SQC rules are caused by the downtime periods - not the steady state process users are really intending to monitor

18 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Highlight attributes not matching template

PI System Explorer should visually highlight attributes of template based elements that have changes to the template.

18 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED