PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. If an attribute template changes type from A to B and uses A's default value, then use B's default value

If an attribute template is of data type A and its default value is the default value of data type A, then if we change the attribute template's data type to B, then the attribute template's default value should become the default value of B.

For example, if the last data type that I set on any attribute or attribute template is string, then if I add a new attribute template, it will already be of type string and will have a default value of empty string. This is great.

However, if the last data type that I set on…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add a space before "Template" in the default element template name after using "Convert To Template"

Currently, if you convert an element to a template, the default name of the template is of the form "[Element Name]Template". Please consider changing this to "[Element Name] Template" to increase readability and make the name more consistent with how English (or whatever language) is written.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Better handling of bulk deletion of open event frames

I have a case with a customer who would like Notifications/Analyses to better handle situations where opened event frames are deleted in bulk. From the case, this process can cause Notifications to get in a bad state and cause a temporary delay in emails being sent out if backfilling is occuring in parallel. Customer would like this process to be improved.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Be able to perform silent installs with different silent.ini file path

I have a customer who would like to perform silent installs and be able to specify a different file path for the silent.ini file. Currently the silent installs only work if the unzipped setup kit is all in one folder.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

ANSWERED  ·  0 comments  ·  Installation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add the Analysis Description as a column to the PI System Explorer Management

When I open PI System Explorer and click the Management button in the bottom-left I'd like the ability to show and hide certain columns of information; for example, I'd like to be able to add the Analysis Description as a column.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add description to internal AF tables

When defining an internal AF table, i would like to have a description column. That i can use to make the AF model more self-documenting.

Now i need to describe the table and all the columns in the table description which is too limited for tables with many columns

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. pisrvstart and pisrvstop scripts should have pilogsrvX64

pisrvstart.bat and pisrvstop.bat scripts should have "pilogsrvX64" added to them.  Currently all services except the "PIPC Log Server x64" are started/stopped by these scripts.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This log service is used by 64 bit application that loads the PI API. The most common being 64 bit PI Interfaces. Therefore if you have 64 bit PI API based applications, these scripts should start/stop the service for you. Please contact tech support if you have these applications and pilogsrvx64 is not in your pisrvstart and pisrvstop scripts.

As a side note, recent releases of the PI Server implements virtual service accounts for all the Data Archive related services so please consider it for an upgrade.

8. Option to change (or extend) mail format on element level

For some elements, i would like to add some extra agreement specific text to the notification mail.

There is currently no good method for doing this, since this is locked to the template.

I suggest that which mail goes out to each subscriber could be changed on element level (treat as the value of an attribute).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Dialog for configuring notifications

I would be good to have a dialog for configuring notifications setting as it was available in the old notifications version.
    It seems strange to me to change values in the configuration database.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Spelling mistake in Archive_AutoArchiveFileSize's description

In the description of the tuning parameter Archive_AutoArchiveFileSize, "occurs" is misspelled as "occurrs". This misspelling is also followed by a semicolon instead of a period.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Button for unchecking all Trigger On attributes when setting up an analysis

When setting up an Analysis in Pi System Explorer as Event Triggered, all attributes will by default be chosen as Trigger on.

Normally, I would only like the analysis to trigger on one input, if there are many attributes deselecting all is time consuming. There are also a bug (that have been reported earlier which selects all inputs when you do changes to the analysis).

It would therefore be nice if an option to Deselect All inputs were made available. An option to select all is already there.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Permit me to keep "no data" and also use tag with AF Analytics

I'd like a way that permits me to use AF analytics on "no-data" pi points without requiring me to strip/remove all no-data points, so that I can also use "no-data" for notifications.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Display path of element in the PSE

As a user, I would like to be able to easily see the full path of an element in the General tab, and be able to copy this path to my clipboard.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

ANSWERED  ·  1 comment  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Create Analysis and Notifications when limits are set on attributes

As a Notification user I would like a one-click way of configuring a notification on the limits I have set on the attribute so that I spend less time configuring a simple notification such as this.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Improve usability of configuring AF security using PI System Explorer

As a user, I want to have improved interaction when configuring AF security using PI System Explorer, so that I can make changes to AF security more easily and accurately.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Ability to write data to the Buffer Subystem using the AF SDK when PI Data Archive is unavailable at start up

As an user, I want to be able to write data to the PI Data Archive via the Buffer Subsystem even when the PI Data Archive is unavailable at start up so that my application can continue to run without having to wait for a connection to the PI Data Archive.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Better handling of data from mobile or shared equipment

Better handle data coming from shared or mobile equipment where the association of the data changes from one piece of equipment to another.

Example: shared drilling equipment data associated with the wells they are drilling.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Fetch multiple PI Points from one list

1) Select some rows from a column with a list of point name on Excel.
    2) In PI Builder, Click on a new button (Find PI Points From List...) and then it will fetch all parameters of matching points in the server vs the list.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PI Builder  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Add functions for converting between data types in AF Analysis Expressions

If you have an analysis input that is the "string" data type but can be represented as a number (for example, the string "2.35"), then to convert this string into a numeric data type such as double it is necessary to take the string and output it to another attribute that has the correct data type. There are no usable data type conversion functions in AF Analytics, so it is not possible to take the string, convert it into a double, and then store it in an analysis variable to be used again in the same analysis. It is possible…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
1 2 26 27 28 30 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
TELL US MORE
EVALUATING
PLANNED
IN DEVELOPMENT
COMPLETED
DECLINED