PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Set the DEFAULT analysis type to periodic, and/or allow the user to set the default in the config

The default is set to Natural (event driven), but best practices say that this is a very costly method. Creating thousands of analyses can lead to forgetting to change it to periodic.  My suggestion is that the default should be set to periodic and/or the user should be allowed to set what default analysis type they want in the configuration.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

ANSWERED  ·  1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Configure an event frame so that, depending on the reason code, severity automatically changes

I I would suggest to configure an event frame so that, depending on the reason code, severity automatically changes

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Ability to track source of AF created PI tag to it's origin (dB/element/attribute/analysis)

I have thousands of tags based on AF analysis, both auto created by AF and some which have been converted from ACE, PE, Totalizers to AF.

Looking at the tags in Point Builder, DataLink, or SMT I am able to tell by Point Source that the tag is calculated in AF.  But where?  We use a single AF database for our SCADA, AMI, and Generation groups so browsing for an analysis is quite time consuming.

It would be nice to have a PI Tag attribute that would show the "path" to the analysis.  \Database\Element\Child\Child\Attribute\Analysis and that this information could easily…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add an error message when applying UOM to string value type attribute

When changing the value type to string of an attribute with an associated UOM, the following error is observed:

"...cannot be changed to type 'String' because it has a unit of measure and 'String' does not support UOMs."

When you have an existing string type attribute and add a UOM, the value type is automatically changed to a numerical type without warning. It would be helpful to include a similar message as the one mentioned previously.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Trigger an event frame each day on a specific trigger

I would like to trigger an event frame on a PI Point, however, that trigger may last for several days. During that time I would like the event frame to close at midnight and automatically reopen a new event frame for my event driven event frame.

Here is an example: Pretend you are measuring the outside air temperature, you want your trigger to trigger when it goes above 50F, chances are your event frame could go on for days before it drops below 50F. Instead of it to go on for days I want a new event frame to create…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. "Quick watch" function for analyses

While creating and/or debugging analyses in PI System Explorer, I would like to have available an instant evaluation dialog.

This would be something I can bring up empty, and start typing (if in template, use the context of the currently selected Example Element) to evaluate a formula.

If I right click a formula or expression already placed in a variable I would like to see "Evaluate in Instant Window" or "Evaluate instantly", where the dialog is brought up with that text pre-defined. If the expression you right clicked contains time expressions (such as start time, end time) I would like…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

ANSWERED  ·  5 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Improve selecting inputs for Formula DataReference with large number of attributes

When an element has a large number of attributes defined (e.g. 400), then it is very difficult to select an attribute as an input to the Formula DataReference because the dropdown does not have a scroll bar.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Support for data classification

As a PI admin, I need to ensure that my data access and handling complies with classifications or levels of sensitivity.

Background
    Regulations and compliance regimes require different controls for data based on the classification of data.

Related Requests:
    Proper classification is typically a prerequisite for any nontrivial data retention policy.
    https://feedback.osisoft.com/forums/555148-pi-server/suggestions/17219942-support-different-data-retention-policies

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Alphabetize Selections in drop downbox when creating filters in EF, etc.

In PI System Explorer, when creating a filter for looking at Event Frames, in the dropdown box, the selection items aren’t sorted in alphabetic order.  It is an arduous task to review each of the selections to pick the one that you want. It would be nice if they were in alphabetical order, or if there was a search feature.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Wave Form Data Collection

A few customers would like the capability of storing vibration wave form data in PI. They often measure data in MHz and GHz frequencies, which are at a finer resolution that the PI Data Archive is capable of storing. The wave forms are captured over periods from 2 to 30 seconds and only saved if there is an interesting event.

Customers in data centers are also requesting power quality wave form storage in PI.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

ANSWERED  ·  1 comment  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. PI Archive File header should keep track of last modified recno

The PI Archive File should keep track of the last modified RecNo. This would make cases where historical archive last modified times are updated (and potentially causing large backups) much easier to track down.

In particular, this feature combined with the new Snapshot_TracePointID tuning parameter in PI Data Archive 2017+ would make figuring out what is updating archive last modified times much more straightforward.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

ANSWERED  ·  1 comment  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. delivery endpoint

When creating a new Delivery Endpoint in PI System Explorer, provide option to retrieve information from Active Directory.  This can include automatically populating the "To Email" field with the AD "Business Phone" field to create new endpoints for receiving Notifications via text message.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. compatibility

the compatibility of products (e.g. Data Archive with PI AF) is not straightforward. e.g. regarding to documentation (release notes, Instal-guides) it's possible to combine Dataarchive 2012 with AF 2017-R2. and indeed it's possible to use it in combination, but the installation is requiring the following steps:

• Install AF Server 2017 R2
    • Install AF Client 2017 R2 on Dataarchive Server
    • Uninstall PI Network Subsystem on Dataarchive Server
    • Install PI Server 2012 (Dataarchive)
    • Install AF Client 2017 R2 on Dataarchive Server
    • Perform MDB to AF migration

thats not straight forward and should be mentioned in the documentation (list the restrictions / requirements).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is a case of forward/backwards compatibility. It’s typically not possible to account for forward compatibility but as a general rule we provide backwards compatibility when possible. In this scenario, since AF 2017 R2 is newer than Data Archive 2012, you should first install Data Archive 2012 first, then install AF 2017 R2 and the backwards compatibility built into the upgrade process would take care of the PI Network Subsystem dependency.

15. Contacts as criteria in AF Management

Originally posted on PI Square at https://pisquare.osisoft.com/ideas/5385-contacts-as-criteria-in-af-management

Add (in AF Explorer) to AF Management new criteria Contacts.
    Sometimes it's quite complicated to find which notifications are subscribed to some user.

Regards,
    Igor

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Expose whether or not an attribute template is overridden on the element in PI System Explorer

When I override an attribute template on an element (for example, changed descriptions), it would be useful to see some sort of flag on the attribute in PSE to let me know that it’s no longer linked to the template

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Increase the discoverability of the windows that are accessible by right-clicking on the Operations pane

In PI System Explorer → Management, with the Analysis radio button selected, right-clicking in the Operations pane gives the user access to additional windows. Even though this is documented, it is not very discoverable. Users do not expect right-clicking on a dialog-box-like pane to do anything. The windows also serve minor, but still useful, purposes, so the user is unlikely to search the documentation wondering where to find the functionality that these windows offer.

Please consider eliminating the right-click menu and allowing the windows to be accessed by links, buttons, or icons.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. When calling PI Point data values using RelativeTime, the timestamp should show the time of that value not the time of the call.

When calling PI Point data values using RelativeTime, the timestamp should show the time of that value not the time of the call. In PI Server 2012 the time of the value was shown when using the RelativeTime call from PI System Explorer. In the PI Asset Framework 2017 R2 the time stamp shows the current time and not the time of the value the attribute is displaying.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. AF external table cache

We have some central tables which we want to be accessible for all AF users like the central telephone directory (to add information about maintenance contacts for example). This table is quite big in a company with several thousands of employees and frequently requested in the future. Here it would be nice to have a central cache mechanism and not only a userspecific Client Cache mechanism.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Trigger analysis on events since time creation of new version AF element.

Situation: Attribute of an AF element is one of the triggers for Event Frame analysis for sending critial Notifications.
    Currently: After creating a new version of an AF Element and setting a new value for the attribute the changed value will possibly not trigger the (Event Frame) analysis (if start trigger is true). This results in missing critical Notifications.
    Reason is that the analysis is restarted after a new version is created and the value may be changed before the analysis is operational again. The analysis doesn't see the changed value as an event than.
    Periodic triggering may not be…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
TELL US MORE
EVALUATING
PLANNED
IN DEVELOPMENT
COMPLETED
DECLINED