PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Display some analysis context menu items out in the open

If you right-click on an analysis, you get some useful items such as Preview Results, Backfill/Recalculate, Copy, Delete, and Security.

It would be useful to display some of these out in the open without having to open a context menu. The space above the list of analyses would be a good spot.

2 votes
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Create a Flag for AFGetTrace to Show Calculation Steps for Analysis Data References

Background:
    Currently, the only why to troubleshoot the analysis service is to set the trace levels through the various config files.  This only works when the analytic engine is being used.  In other words, this only works if the analysis is historizing values or writing to PI Tags.

Analysis Data References are handled by the client and uses the AF SDK to get values from the PI Server and make calculations.   Therefore, an AF SDK Trace is needed to troubleshoot analysis data referenced attributes.

However, the AF SDK Trace only shows the function calls to PI.NET and does not show…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Saving the "Analysis Service Statistics" should be saved in XML instead of TXT since this is the actual format of the file

It is possible to change the format after it is saved, but it should natively  be saved as an XML.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Compression (with the opposite intention)

If you have a PI Tag that fluctuates within very excessive ranges, then it becomes quite difficult to observe its trending patterns in a chart because of its volatility.
    A feature to smooth the volatile values (i.e. exclude those outside of a user-defined band) would allow the slope of the trend to be examined without the noise.
    This would work like a mean reversion. The tagavg is no good because the result is a lagged output.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Users wants to include notification/template/target/target template's category in formatted message

As a user configuring notifications I want to include categories in my formatted message so that I can contextualize the alert based on data already in the system.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add ability to honor archive list file locations when adding new server to PI HA Collective

When adding a new server to a PI HA Collective, all archive files selected to be included in the initialization are copied and registered with the new server in one defined location in collective manager.  This can create more manual work for organizations who wish to have all servers have similar file structures.  If the primary server has archive files registered across multiple locations, these locations should be honored and attempt to move files to these locations first, then if a drive is not available fall back to the default location.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow EventFrame analysis to link EventFrame to Primary Parent Element

I want to be able to link an EventFrame to the Primary Parent of the Element the EF analysis is defined on.

E.g. i use a child element to a Unit to contain the logic to detect and generate downtime events. However, i want the downtime event to link to the Unit, and not to the child element.

I typically structure AF hierarchies using S95. I also use 'functionblocks' to add repeated functions to e.g. a Unit Element, using AF Element Templates for the functionblock.These also include EF analysis. This leads to the EF linked to the functionblock Element below…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. 2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. ProcessBook - Arrange\Group with mouse right botton

Hi, Osisoft...

If possible, verify ProcessBook, about  command Arrange\Group ou UnGroup ReGroup with mouse right bottom.
    Today only command menu Arrange.

Regards, Douglas Hartmann

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Extend PI audit trail to include changes made to snapshot using SMT

Using the SMT tool with the PI archive editor you can enter current values using * as time. This enters directly into the snapshot but is not recorded in the audit trail. All changes made should be recorded

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Reprocess EF when the trigger Tag is changing

As as PI Admin I want that a EF is automatically changed if for example the Trigger Tag is changing in the archived values from my PI system.
    It could happen that we completly remove the start end trigger for a specific event in the archive. Correspontenly the EF should also removed automaticaly.
    This is at least affecting the EF Generator

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Show sequence events in a graph

As Production engineer, for me it would be great being able to show in one graph sequence events, in a way that I could see the trend of different attributes over one, two or three months, for example.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Implement logging of plug-in registration

As a PI System administrator, I would like a history of the plug-ins registered and unregistered against my AF Server.  This will allow me to track down the root cause of incorrect plug-in versions registered against the SQL backend.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. PI Data Archive - Data Share - Distributed, Scalable, Load Balanced

OSI should get together and devise a proper data synching mechanism that should guarantee synching archives for all backfilled events and so on.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Gray out inherited Root Cause Event Frame category

Gray out or remove the inherited Root Cause Event Frame category to avoid having it selected. This will avoid the error "<Event Frame Category> Already Exists"

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Rearrange the Classic tab in the Point Builder to reflect the relationship between settings

If the Compressing attribute of a PI Point is set to Off, then the compression settings are greyed out, which makes sense because they are irrelevant if Compressing is Off.

However, if a PI Point has its Archiving attribute set to Off, nothing is greyed out, even though the exception and compression settings and the Compressing attribute are all irrelevant.

I propose changing the layout of the Classic tab to reflect the relationship between these settings. If Archiving is Off, do not show the user the exception settings, compression settings, or the Compressing attribute. If Archiving is On, show the…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Preserve variable-attribute mapping upon attribute path change

Currently, if a variable is mapped to an attribute and the attribute's AF path changes, the variable must be remapped to the attribute.

Instead of relying on the attribute's full path to identify the attribute, each attribute should be identified by a unique ID number that is independent of where the attribute sits in the AF hierarchy. Then any part of an attribute's full path can change and any variables mapped to it will stay mapped.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Log SQL server name when throwing network-related or instance-specific errors

When the AF Server throws a network-related or instance-specific SQL error it only says that it failed to establish a connection to "SQL Server". It further says to check if the instance name is correct.

However, it never says to what SQL server instance the connection attempt was made. This can be a vital piece of information in troubleshooting these kind of errors.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Easy selection of PI Archives to Backup

Currently, if we want to do a backup of an archive in SMT, we have to tick it. But the customer may has like 500 archives and wants to copy 100 of them. There is currently no friendly-user way to select multiple archives (without unregister them) using strg or shift key (like selecting multiple file on windows)

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED