PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Change "PI AF Builder" to "PI Builder" in the tooltip of the Feedback button

Once upon a time, the add-in was called "PI AF Builder", but not anymore. Please edit the tooltip to reflect the current name of the add-in.

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  PI Builder  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow scheduled analyses to ignore circularity

It should be possible to force an apparent circularity to be ignored if analyses are scheduled and not triggered.

A thermal efficiency application I have coded as AF Analyses has the following two analyses A and B, such that each is expressed in terms of the other. This is not really a circularity since the logic flow is dynamically switched by a third input X, so that one of these is calculated from independent inputs Y and Z, viz:

A: if X > 0 then f(B) else f(Y)
    B: if X <= 0 then f(A) else f(Z)

Clearly, if triggered,…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Include Creation date in event frame properties for Notifications

We see issues where notifications appear to be delivered late but then find the event frame was created at a later time than the actual event because of connectivity issues. Having the creation date of the event frame exposed for a notification would be helpful in informing of such issues.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Option to generate Event Frame on invalid data reference

I would like to build an analysis that generates an event frame when one of the referenced PI points is unavailable - i.e. the point does not exist, permissions are missing, or the Data Archive server is unavailable.

Currently when these conditions occur, the analysis will go into an error condition, but there is no way I can be notified of the situation.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow Notification Display of the target attribute using any UOM

We default Element Templates to SI Units as standard, which makes sense, but we have Sites that are Imperial and Sites that are metric. This extends to certain department (wells, for example) using different units of measure to the default.
    I need to be able to send notifications to some people in a unit of measure that is not the template default (i.e. imperial), but there is no ability to do this without making duplicate attributes with different default UOM's.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow modification of System Enumeration Type

Although it is not advisable to modify the "System" digital state on a PI Server it is permissable as per the documentation on a "Minimal" basis.

In AF the matching "System" Enumeration set is "hard coded" and allows no modification at all.

This provides not only an inconsistancy in approach from OSIsoft, but also an Inconsistancy in values received from AF and from PI when the "System" digital state has been modified.

These inconsistancies leed to people questioning the validity of the data and the products being used to display it.

The "System" enumeration should be held in the AFEnumeraiton…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. I would like the ability to move searches defined on the PSE management tag from computer to computer

I have created numerous searches on the management tab of the PSE, but if changing computers or even sharing the searches between workers you currently have to recreate the searches on each computer. Not sure where these are stored currently, but a way to import/export the searches would be helpful.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Set the DEFAULT analysis type to periodic, and/or allow the user to set the default in the config

The default is set to Natural (event driven), but best practices say that this is a very costly method. Creating thousands of analyses can lead to forgetting to change it to periodic.  My suggestion is that the default should be set to periodic and/or the user should be allowed to set what default analysis type they want in the configuration.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Configure an event frame so that, depending on the reason code, severity automatically changes

I I would suggest to configure an event frame so that, depending on the reason code, severity automatically changes

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. PI SMT - Archive Editor Improvements

Why is the second server of all selected servers the default selected server for the archive editor? (C# index 1 instead of 0?)

If I leave the Tagname empty and press the search button the tag search dialog opens fine.
    But if I enter some text at Tagname and then immediately remove the text again and now press the search button an error message "Error -2147220305: Empty strings not allowed. (Check Tagname)" appears even twice in a row.

If I enter a tagname that does not exist an the error message appears that is ok, but it also appears twice…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Have the ability to change PI Message log file configuration (Size, Duration etc)

If verbose logging is setup for applications such as (PI Batch) which write to the PI message log (or if you have very busy PI servers with lots of logs), the file sizes can get to several GB in size. It would be good to have the ability to configure the log file size

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Digital State Sets and Bit Flags

a common data type encountered are Double Integers as bit flags, where different combinations of each bit of the binary representation of the double integer corresponds to a state. PI's Digital State Sets do not handle these well.

First, it requires that even unused states are created in the set . . . annoying, but not a total hindrance (there is another idea posted pertaining to this particularly)

Second, digital state sets have a maximum of 16383, which is only 14 bits, which is only sufficient for single integer (8 bit) flagging techniques.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Out of the Box Event Weighed Analytics

It would be useful to have event-weighed totalizers as out of the box formulas in Analytics for common calculations such as Week-To-day, Month-to-day.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Option to define AF template dependencies for element deployment

Add an option to define dependencies in AF templates for element deployment. For example, if an expected table entry doesn’t exist, notify the user somehow. This will help more novice users to deploy new elements not knowing all of the initial items that needed to exist for Analyses to execute properly.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add the ability to create, edit, and delete annotations for attributes tied to PI Points in PSE

A use case for this request would be to provide a way to overcome the limitations and inconsistent behavior observed when rounding timestamps by PISDK client tools. Considering that AFSDK Clients would provide better subsecond timestamp handling.

The limitations mentioned above are described in the following article: https://customers.osisoft.com/s/knowledgearticle?knowledgeArticleUrl=KB01402

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Ability to track source of AF created PI tag to it's origin (dB/element/attribute/analysis)

I have thousands of tags based on AF analysis, both auto created by AF and some which have been converted from ACE, PE, Totalizers to AF.

Looking at the tags in Point Builder, DataLink, or SMT I am able to tell by Point Source that the tag is calculated in AF.  But where?  We use a single AF database for our SCADA, AMI, and Generation groups so browsing for an analysis is quite time consuming.

It would be nice to have a PI Tag attribute that would show the "path" to the analysis.  \\Database\Element\Child\Child\Attribute\Analysis and that this information could easily…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Add an error message when applying UOM to string value type attribute

When changing the value type to string of an attribute with an associated UOM, the following error is observed:

"...cannot be changed to type 'String' because it has a unit of measure and 'String' does not support UOMs."

When you have an existing string type attribute and add a UOM, the value type is automatically changed to a numerical type without warning. It would be helpful to include a similar message as the one mentioned previously.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Expose triggering input to Analytics

If an analysis with multiple trigger attributes is triggerred, it is difficult to assess which attribute produced the trigger. Hasvaluechanged has it's limitations, and comparing PrevEvent is also cumbersome.

Instead of only receiving a timestamp for the Analysis to evaluate, i would like to receive both the Attribute name/path and value that triggered this event.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Trigger an event frame each day on a specific trigger

I would like to trigger an event frame on a PI Point, however, that trigger may last for several days. During that time I would like the event frame to close at midnight and automatically reopen a new event frame for my event driven event frame.

Here is an example: Pretend you are measuring the outside air temperature, you want your trigger to trigger when it goes above 50F, chances are your event frame could go on for days before it drops below 50F. Instead of it to go on for days I want a new event frame to create…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. RDBMS Interface - Full Sync and Annotations

The PI SDK writes required for setting annotation values with the exdesc and RDBMS interface are not compatible with Full Synchronization.

Make this compatible.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED