PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.

How can we improve the PI Server?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ability to do Incremental PI AF tree export

As a PI System Administrator, I need to do incremental exports each two days from my tree so we can track what has been changed between them periodically.

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Publish metrics

Create standing metrics for the PI System, especially the PI Data Archive

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Get a "Format Painter" for Graphs and Multistate Elements

Get a "Format Painter" similar to Excel for Graphs and Multistate Elements. So that you don't have to reformat each one manually when working in a PiBook.
    So one could edit one graph as he desires and apply the format to other already created graphs on the same page (this would be a huge Time saver!)

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add thermodynamic properties air tables to Functions list in AF Analytics

In addition to steam tables, it would be nice to see air tables, particularly for analytics on combined cycle and simple cycle units.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Having different sets of Archive Files.

Having different sets of Archive Files or "how to Define Archive for the Tags Individually". For example sending the Process Data to a different Archive File than the Building Monitoring Tags.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. enhance rollup analysis to perform more complex calculations.

I would like to enhance rollups analysis so I can perform more complex calculations. Ideally I would like to be able to build my own functions for example sum of squares...

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Multi State for PI System Explorer

We use PI System Explorer as a data consumption and management tool. We would like to have the option to configure multi states such that an attribute "row" in the attribute tab would be colored based on value criteria.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Improve selecting inputs for Formula DataReference with large number of attributes

When an element has a large number of attributes defined (e.g. 400), then it is very difficult to select an attribute as an input to the Formula DataReference because the dropdown does not have a scroll bar.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Analysis managament filters for all users and able to export between diferent AFs

It was so useful for us if we can use filters on Analisis management for all users. We are a 5 people support team, we have the same AF structure in different servers and we must do the same filters user by user, AF by AF.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Arranging Element Templates

I would like to be able to arrange my element templates by category. Then I would like to be able to arrange that category by reference templates. Right now, I can only do one or the other.

This is not visually pleasing because if i arrange by category, I no longer can see which templates are references templates as everything is put under a common tree. This makes it difficult to navigate and organize.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Microsoft Store for Business with PI client tools

Please consider distributing PI System client tool via "Microsoft Store for Business" https://businessstore.microsoft.com/en-us/store/search?q=OSIsoft

This would be a convenient way to install and update PI System Management Tools (SMT), PI System Explorer, PI ProcessBook, PI SQL Commander (PI OLEDB\PI OLEDBEnt), PI DataLink, and PI Builder, etc.

This would also remove the hassle of packaging the software installers in the enterprise software package management systems.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Support for Windows event logging

As a system administrator, I need to integrate PI System logging into my SEIM, so that I can manage PI System events consistent with other applications in a centrally managed system.

Most PI System applications leverage the Applications and Services Logs in the Windows event logs. As the built-in logging mechanism for the Windows platform, there are a number of forwarding, aggregation, and management options for the Windows event logs. The PI Data Archive logs to the Windows Application event logs as a fallback if the PI Message subsystem is unavailable, but some of the metadata for the events is…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Support for data classification

As a PI admin, I need to ensure that my data access and handling complies with classifications or levels of sensitivity.

Background
    Regulations and compliance regimes require different controls for data based on the classification of data.

Related Requests:
    Proper classification is typically a prerequisite for any nontrivial data retention policy.
    https://feedback.osisoft.com/forums/555148-pi-server/suggestions/17219942-support-different-data-retention-policies

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Allow a select feature on rollup using the mouse.

Currently you have to type the attribute you wish to rollup by hand. Some of our customers have expressed interest in being able to select one attribute with the mouse rather than typing anything. Wildcard characters do work but some customers who use templates often have large similarities between attribute names.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. PI Manual Logger Web should allow access to in-progress Recent Tour Runs from other clients

PI Manual Logger Web should allow a user to start a new tour run on one machine, save it part-way through, and then load and finish the tour run on another machine. For example, if a user in the field begins a tour run on a tablet that dies or has a hardware malfunction, they should be able to continue and finish the same tour run from a different tablet instead of having to start a new tour run.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Alphabetize Selections in drop downbox when creating filters in EF, etc.

In PI System Explorer, when creating a filter for looking at Event Frames, in the dropdown box, the selection items aren’t sorted in alphabetic order.  It is an arduous task to review each of the selections to pick the one that you want. It would be nice if they were in alphabetical order, or if there was a search feature.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Expand the plug-ins by default when PI System Management Tools is opened

PI administrators that keep their PI system up to date will likely hide all of the many deprecated plug-ins in PI System Management Tools. There are few enough plug-ins remaining that the left pane can be fully expanded to show all remaining plug-ins without having to scroll. However, at the moment, when PI System Management Tools is opened, the plug-ins are collapsed by default, which is an inconvenience/punishment for PI administrators that keep their PI system up to date despite best practices being followed.

Please consider expanding the plug-ins by default when PI System Management Tools is opened.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Allow a PI Point's point class to be edited in the Point Builder of PI System Management Tools

Currently, a PI Point's point class can be edited through PI Builder but not through PI System Management Tools. Please consider giving PI System Management Tools the ability to edit the point class as well.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED