PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Provide Enumerated Values for Named Arguments for Analysis Functions

Provide Enumerated Values for Named Arguments for Analysis Functions

For functions with arguments that have named values, provide enumerated choices (not AF enumeration but analysis native)

For instance, the LinRegr function returns an array of results (slope, intercept..).   Rather than specifying the number for the dimension of the array, here is example analysis code:

Name                            Expression
    RegressionData1  |       LinRegr(‘Xvalues’,’Yvalues’,2, ‘t’,’*’)
    Slope                     |       RegressionData1[LinRegr.Slope]
    Intercept                |        RegressionData1[LinRegr.Intercept]

2 votes
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. As a notifications admin, I have to move between the management plugin and elements page when I want to edit multiple notifications

With PI Notifications 1.X, a notifications admin, had the ability to use the “Notifications” tab in PSE. Some users would frequently use this tab to run a search on their notifications and return a results set (list of notifications matching their search criteria). Then they would navigate through this list and find the notifications they want to make an edit to. For example, if they wanted to remove a contact from several notifications in this list, they could choose one notification, remove a contact, check-in, select a different notification in the list, remove a contact, check-in, rinse and repeat.

With…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow new Delivery Endpoints to auto-populate with Active Directory fields

When creating a new Delivery Endpoint in PI System Explorer, provide configuration option to retrieve information from Active Directory.  This can include automatically populating the "To Email" field with the AD "Business Phone" field to create new endpoints for receiving Notifications via text message.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Add functions to perform table queries on AF tables

To access data on AF Tables i now need to add these to an attribute and then access these from analytics

I would like to be able to create a lookup using a Analytics function, so that i can create a lookup of a value in a table based on other calculations i do within my analysis.

This can be limited to the current functionaltiy in the Table Lookup DataReference.
    E.g. to perform forecasts, i currently create attributes where i sum values based on timestamps for x-days forward in time using analytics. Then i use these attributes again in another…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Create a substitution parameter for Element Creation Date

When managing element hierarchies that grow over time, it would be useful to configure an attribute that automatically populates with the creation date of an element.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Embed more videos inside of help topics in PI System Management Tools (PI SMT)

Add YouTube video links to different help topics in PI SMT > Help > Contents...

There are many topics presented that have associated video content on the OSIsoft Learning YouTube Channel that would be beneficial if readily available to users while they are administering their PI Systems.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. PI Manual logger

We need a functionality to capture violated limits. On thick client, we can see this on tour maintenance window by looking for limit violation. We would like to see the same on PI ML Web. Also, we would want to capture the number of violated limits in one tour run.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow to automatically disbale an analysis based on an expression

As a PSE user, I would like to be able to configure an expression which allos to automatically set or reset the exclude property on an attribute

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Can you give an example use case for this? Not sure I understand why you would want to disable an analysis based on an expression. Since analytics is an online/continuous/near-real-time calculation engine, its goal in life is to continuously run calculations based on triggers. It seems what you’re asking is a one-time adhoc type evaluation to help you with initial configurations? Can you provide more details?

9. Allow to automatically exclude an attribute based on an expression

As a PSE user, I would like to be able to configure an expression which allos to automatically set or reset the exclude property on an attribute

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

If you use the AF 2018 SP2 release, you can use the BadVal() function to check for validity of the input – i.e. if the input PI Point doesn’t exist. Thus you can use the BadVal() function now to check for validity of the input and also whether the input has bad values. Using the BadVal() function you can add logic to your Expression to handle missing inputs or bad inputs.

I’m sorry but I don’t understand your question about exclude output attributes. Can you provide an example use case?

10. Round Behavior of "Evaluate" Button in PSE

Allow users to customize rounding behavior when previewing results from AF Analyses or clicking the "Evaluate" button in PSE.

A user was recently seeing inadvertent rounding behavior because some of their value types were set to Single or Int16.  However, this issue was not immediately diagnosed because clicking the "Evaluate" button would round their results to the nearest integer regardless of data type, making real-time troubleshooting much harder.

If instead the user was allowed to specify the number of digits of precision (or rounding behavior) they wanted to use when clicking "Evaluate" they would have known that there was another…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Allow the creator of an analysis to limit who can make changes to it

At this point, if someone else has the right permissions, they can modify my analyses and I can modify theirs. If they decide they don’t like my logic and go in and change it without me realizing it, I could make decisions based on “incorrect“ data.

While security permissions can be edited on a per-analysis basis, a user must have "Admin" rights within AF to be able to do this. In addition, each user would need an AF identity mapped only to their user account to ensure nobody else has permissions, which would become cumbersome with a large number of…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Managed PI Feedback

There many posts with similar content. to get a better overview (for people who want to vote as well for osisoft). the feedback webpage should be managed and similar postings should be merged/grouped. one example is manual data entry for PI vision, but i think there more.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Repeatedly loop future data

Customer would like to be able to loop future data.  For instance since yearly temperatures are about the same every year for a given month, it would be nice if only one set of the projections are stored somewhere and just repeated again and again every year.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Provide an audit function

The idea would be to provide a feature which alllows a PI System Admin to get a report of all the rights that are granted to a user or a group of user for all the PI system product which have a link with security

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Event Frame Start and End Timestamp relative to trigger

With an event frame analysis I search for production downtimes that are longer than 30 min with the "true for" option or a "TimeGE" function. But in this way I allway loose these 30 min at the beginning of my downtime event. So I would like to be able to shift this timestamp my 30 min back; similar to the function in expression analytics.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Notification email Acknowledgment via an app

The idea would be to have a way of acknowledging the notification email in a specific and simple app. When the notification is pushed to this app the user simply acknowledges it and the system would recognize it.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Remove and disable permissions that do not apply in PI System Explorer's Security Configuration window

In PI System Explorer → File → Database → Edit Security, the "Permissions for" box always lists all permissions that can possibly be set within PI AF, regardless of the selected objects. Instead, only permissions that apply to the selected objects should be displayed. For example, it doesn't make sense to configure Subscribe, Subscribe Others, Execute, or Annotate permissions for a mapping, so these permissions should not be displayed in the "Permissions for" box. It should also not be possible to configure such permissions in any way (using PI System Explorer, using PI Builder, etc.).

In the event that a…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Better visual distinction between reference types in the element hierarchy in PI System Explorer

Currently, you cannot visually distinguish between a composition relationship and a primary parent-child relationship, or between a secondary parent-child relationship and a weak reference in the element hierarchy in PI System Explorer. Please allow all of the built-in reference types to be visually distinguishable from each other from the element hierarchy. Perhaps the dotted line that connects the parent to the child could be formatted (solid versus dotted?) in addition to modifying the child element's symbol.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Have a consistent way to specify start and end times for new archives in PI System Management Tools

If you go to create a new archive, you can select "Single archive" or "Multiple archives for backfilling". If you choose the former and choose "Create archive with fixed start and end time", you can type the start and end times with precision down to the second. If you choose the latter, you can type the start and end times or choose them from the calendar widget, but they are only precise to the date.

My suggestion is to provide a consistent experience for choosing start and end times across both cases. The best of both worlds would be to…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA/PREVIEW
COMPLETED