PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.

How can we improve the PI Server?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Give a more specific error message when publishing a span of 0

Currently, if you try to create/edit a PI Point to have a span of 0, an error message similar to the one below appears:
    Error occurred on line #, column #, while processing PI Data Archive 'PIDataArchive':
    [-38] Illegal Compression Deviation Specification
    Parameter name: compdev

This occurs even if compdev is not one of the published columns, which can confuse the user. Please give a more specific error message when the user tries to publish a span of 0.

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  PI Builder  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Minimize the recalculation of volatile cells

Currently, PI Builder data is imported row by row. Each imported row causes all volatile cells in all open workbooks and any cells downstream of them in the dependency tree to recalculate. PI Builder will not import a new row until this calculation is complete. If there are too many slow-calculating downstream cells, the entire import can be slowed to a crawl.

Please consider importing data in a way that does not trigger the recalculation of volatile cells as often. One option is to switch to manual calculation before the import and restore the previous calculation mode after the import.…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PI Builder  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow user to change the display text for a hyperlink that links to a File on PI System Explorer's Notifications Message Editor.

Currently, PI System Explorer's Notifications Message Editor does not allow the user to change the display text for a hyperlink that links to a File. There are some workarounds (such as using PI Builder to edit the XAML directly), but it would be nice to have this functionality built-in.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add External Support for AspenTech Functions in Analysis within AF

Add support to import AspenTech functions into Asset Framework to use with Analysis.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. PI Archive File header should keep track of last modified recno

The PI Archive File should keep track of the last modified RecNo. This would make cases where historical archive last modified times are updated (and potentially causing large backups) much easier to track down.

In particular, this feature combined with the new Snapshot_TracePointID tuning parameter in PI Data Archive 2017+ would make figuring out what is updating archive last modified times much more straightforward.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Create or Update PI Points and Reset to Template

Using PI System Explorer, it is possible to "Create or Update PI Points" in bulk across all elements or branches of elements. However, "Create or Update PI Points" resolves the substitution parameters of PI Point attributes. As a result, if you change the value of a substitution parameter that is used in the PI Point configuration, say %Description% and perform "Create or Update PI Points", the point does not update with the new value. You have to take an extra step and first reset all the PI Point attributes you want to change to the template using PI Builder. It…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. scheduled recalculation

For our technical account we have to do recalulations on a daily basis, because of late arriving data. Auto-recalculation is not an option, because late arriving data that arrives after we have published the results, should not(!) be respected anymore. As soon as we have published the results they are mandatory and should not be modified anymore.

The recalculation takes about half an hour. So if the system could be recalculated by schedule (e.g. every day at 05:00), the recalculation would already be finished, when we start working and we don't have to trigger this manually in the morning anymore…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. When converting an element to a template, suggest substitution parameters based on the ConfigString

Currently, if the ConfigString of an attribute looks like this:
    \\ServerName\TagName;UOM=uom

then if you right-click on the element and go to Convert → Convert To Template, the Substituted column will suggest this:
    \\ServerName\%Element%.%Attribute%.%ID%;UOM=uom

regardless of whether TagName is in the format %Element%.%Attribute%.%ID%.

Instead, consider suggesting substitution parameters based on the ConfigString. For example, if %Server% evaluates to "ServerName" and %Attribute% evaluates to "TagName", then make the following suggestion:
    \\%Server%\%Attribute%;UOM=uom

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. 1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Allow PI Server components to be removed at installation time

Currently, when you run the PI Server install kit to perform an upgrade, existing PI Server components cannot be unselected, and so they are upgraded. This gives the impression that they cannot be uninstalled, but they can actually be uninstalled by modifying the installation in Programs And Features in the Control Panel. This is unintuitive.

Please allow PI Server components to be uninstalled at the same time as upgrading other PI Server components, otherwise many of the legacy components will continue to live unnecessarily in many customers' PI systems.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Installation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Provide Enumerated Values for Named Arguments for Analysis Functions

Provide Enumerated Values for Named Arguments for Analysis Functions

For functions with arguments that have named values, provide enumerated choices (not AF enumeration but analysis native)

For instance, the LinRegr function returns an array of results (slope, intercept..).   Rather than specifying the number for the dimension of the array, here is example analysis code:

Name                            Expression
    RegressionData1  |       LinRegr(‘Xvalues’,’Yvalues’,2, ‘t’,’*’)
    Slope                     |       RegressionData1[LinRegr.Slope]
    Intercept                |        RegressionData1[LinRegr.Intercept]

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. auti

To be able to easily delete all tags that are not being used as an attribute reference in AF.

The scenario:
    I have a total of 150000 tags on my dev server. I only use AF, so if a tag is not in AF I have no use for it. As I am testing things on my dev server, there are lots of things that I try that do not end up being used. I would like a way to easily delete all tags taht I am not using.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow to automatically purge Event Frame History

It is currently possible to purge Event Frames using afdiag. I know that version 2018 will bring more filters on that features.
    It would be nice to be able to configure the purge feature directly from PSE, thus avoiding to have the management of Windows scheduled tasks to do that

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. delivery endpoint

When creating a new Delivery Endpoint in PI System Explorer, provide option to retrieve information from Active Directory.  This can include automatically populating the "To Email" field with the AD "Business Phone" field to create new endpoints for receiving Notifications via text message.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add functions to perform table queries on AF tables

To access data on AF Tables i now need to add these to an attribute and then access these from analytics

I would like to be able to create a lookup using a Analytics function, so that i can create a lookup of a value in a table based on other calculations i do within my analysis.

This can be limited to the current functionaltiy in the Table Lookup DataReference.
    E.g. to perform forecasts, i currently create attributes where i sum values based on timestamps for x-days forward in time using analytics. Then i use these attributes again in another…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Clamp option for AF attribute that would filter unwanted data from PI tags

PI tags from devices often have negative or values indicative of the process being down or the device malfunctioning. When this data is being used as inputs for analysis it must be filtered out. Which requires a "filtering" analysis and and intermediate filtering tag. It would be a helpful to have an option on the input attribute "clamp" the data. Basically check clamp and AF would do a "live" filter of the data and only allow the "good" data to pass to the analysis.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. PI Manual Logger

PI ML thick client offers scheduling functionality for tours. Users would like to use the same on PI ML Web. Also, we would like to have a feature available to configure pop ups or prompt messages saying "Tour run is scheduled for hh:mm time" and "Tour run is complete"

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Round Behavior of "Evaluate" Button in PSE

Allow users to customize rounding behavior when previewing results from AF Analyses or clicking the "Evaluate" button in PSE.

A user was recently seeing inadvertent rounding behavior because some of their value types were set to Single or Int16.  However, this issue was not immediately diagnosed because clicking the "Evaluate" button would round their results to the nearest integer regardless of data type, making real-time troubleshooting much harder.

If instead the user was allowed to specify the number of digits of precision (or rounding behavior) they wanted to use when clicking "Evaluate" they would have known that there was another…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED