PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 2 votes
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Better handling of XML import in AF

A standard XML export from an AF Server includes the UOM's used in the database. When importing these XML files I don't need to get error messages every time it finds a UOM that already exists.

I want to be notified if it exists AND the definition deviates. The default action should be to ignore UOM's with the same name & definition, and rather present a summary in the end.

Alternatively I would like to be presented with more options in the import dialog, where I can control what I want to characterize as an error.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allowing users to edit IP Address for creating a trust with Add Data Server Wizard in Buffering Manager

When creating a trust for the Buffer Subsystem with the Add Data Server Wizard in Buffering Manager, the Wizard auto-populates the IP Address of the machine. Include an option to edit the IP Address that is auto-populated for machines that have multiple NICs.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow PIWorld and piusers to be deleted

Nobody should be using the "PIWorld" PI Identity or the "piusers" PI Group. The most that we can do at the moment is disable them. It would be much better if we can just delete them and never look back.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Notifications 2012 Email Acknowledgment System

To have an email acknowledgement system where recipients can reply to the email and have the notification acknowledged

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Use superscript characters in UOM abbreviations

Currently, exponents in UOM abbreviations are not superscripted (e.g. cm2, ft3). Please use the proper superscript characters for these (e.g. cm², ft³).

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Add a UOM class for bit rate

More generally, the UOM class should capture information per time. This is useful for labelling data transfer speeds and signal quality.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Handling of data flood scenarios (like alarms)

When a flood of data comes into a tag like in an alarm situation, sometimes the EF analytics don't trigger as some of the data comes in at the same second.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Compression Standards

The ability to define and rollout compression standards on tags across the enterprise / sites. 

When this information is captured bottom up from sites, bad settings make it difficult to maintain a standard which inhibits cross site data comparisons.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Ability to relate data from pharma Tech Transfer Experiments

Ability to capture and relate data together from Pharma/BioTech Tech Transfer Labs that are running product and process experiments.  The context and data is organized around the experiment rather than by the piece of equipment. 

Could require integration to Electronic Lab Notebook (ELN) systems as start and end times are recorded manually in the ELN.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Analysis Searches - Allow Searching by 'Backilling'

In PI System Explorer under the Management tab, add a new search category in Analysis Searches to allow searching by Backfilling.  The Backfilling status column is always shown in the results window, but there is no way to search by this column.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow entry of times relative to the start time or end time

In the Archive Editor, PI Message Logs, etc., the user can enter a start time and an end time. Sometimes, you want to look at a time range in the past. Most people do not think in terms of start time and end time (16-Jan-17 00:00:00 to 16-Jan-01:00:00); they think of how much time after the start time they want to see (16-Jan-17 00:00:00 to +1h) or how much time before the end time they want to see (-1h from 16-Jan-17 01:00:00). Please allow entry of times relative to the start time or end time (but obviously not both at…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Backfilling % complete should be based on time, not number of analyses

Currently, the "% complete" bar for backfilling analyses is based on the number of analyses that are done backfilling. For example, if you are backfilling 4 analyses, the bar only ever updates 4 times: 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100%.

These big gaps between updates are not useful if you are backfilling few, but slow, analyses. It also makes it difficult to judge how slow an analysis is without sitting and waiting for the first update.

To provide more granularity, consider basing the bar on time. For example, if I am backfilling 3 weeks of data for 4 analyses, then the…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Display some analysis context menu items out in the open

If you right-click on an analysis, you get some useful items such as Preview Results, Backfill/Recalculate, Copy, Delete, and Security.

It would be useful to display some of these out in the open without having to open a context menu. The space above the list of analyses would be a good spot.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Saving the "Analysis Service Statistics" should be saved in XML instead of TXT since this is the actual format of the file

It is possible to change the format after it is saved, but it should natively  be saved as an XML.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Compression (with the opposite intention)

If you have a PI Tag that fluctuates within very excessive ranges, then it becomes quite difficult to observe its trending patterns in a chart because of its volatility.
    A feature to smooth the volatile values (i.e. exclude those outside of a user-defined band) would allow the slope of the trend to be examined without the noise.
    This would work like a mean reversion. The tagavg is no good because the result is a lagged output.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Users wants to include notification/template/target/target template's category in formatted message

As a user configuring notifications I want to include categories in my formatted message so that I can contextualize the alert based on data already in the system.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Add ability to honor archive list file locations when adding new server to PI HA Collective

When adding a new server to a PI HA Collective, all archive files selected to be included in the initialization are copied and registered with the new server in one defined location in collective manager.  This can create more manual work for organizations who wish to have all servers have similar file structures.  If the primary server has archive files registered across multiple locations, these locations should be honored and attempt to move files to these locations first, then if a drive is not available fall back to the default location.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Allow EventFrame analysis to link EventFrame to Primary Parent Element

I want to be able to link an EventFrame to the Primary Parent of the Element the EF analysis is defined on.

E.g. i use a child element to a Unit to contain the logic to detect and generate downtime events. However, i want the downtime event to link to the Unit, and not to the child element.

I typically structure AF hierarchies using S95. I also use 'functionblocks' to add repeated functions to e.g. a Unit Element, using AF Element Templates for the functionblock.These also include EF analysis. This leads to the EF linked to the functionblock Element below…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA/PREVIEW
COMPLETED