PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.

How can we improve the PI Server?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Interpolation options for step tags

When the step attribute of a PI tag is "on", allow the user to specify an interpolation method.

The current method assumes that a value is constant until the next event, which works well in most cases.

For tags that track rolling averages, rolling totals, real-time derivatives of totalizer tags with respect to time, etc., it would be more useful to assume that a value is constant up to the previous event.

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Introduce new features in PI-ProcessBook

1. Permanently set the custom output columns for ‘Tag Search’. For instance, I can add ‘Zero’ and ‘Span’ columns in the Tag Search window. However, when I close and reopen PI-ProcessBook, this setting reverts to the original configuration (Server, Tag & Descriptor).

2.Permanently set Trend Cursors. For instance, I can add one or more Trend cursors to a plot in Run mode. However, these disappear as soon as some modifications are done in Build mode or PI-ProcessBook is re-opened? Is there any solution or workaround?
    •         This will be of great help when there are some trends (with Trend cursors)…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Option to change (or extend) mail format on element level

For some elements, i would like to add some extra agreement specific text to the notification mail.

There is currently no good method for doing this, since this is locked to the template.

I suggest that which mail goes out to each subscriber could be changed on element level (treat as the value of an attribute).

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Update Asset from the dropdown in the display to match the Event Frame's Primary Reference element of the Event Frames

Users have requested that the when they select an event frame from the Event Frame panel the Asset on the display should update to the Primary Reference Element of the Event Frame

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Backfilling % complete should be based on time, not number of analyses

Currently, the "% complete" bar for backfilling analyses is based on the number of analyses that are done backfilling. For example, if you are backfilling 4 analyses, the bar only ever updates 4 times: 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100%.

These big gaps between updates are not useful if you are backfilling few, but slow, analyses. It also makes it difficult to judge how slow an analysis is without sitting and waiting for the first update.

To provide more granularity, consider basing the bar on time. For example, if I am backfilling 3 weeks of data for 4 analyses, then the…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Dialog for configuring notifications

I would be good to have a dialog for configuring notifications setting as it was available in the old notifications version.
    It seems strange to me to change values in the configuration database.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. managed PI

Add capability to mPI to detect that services are no longer responsive or in a bad state - e.g. when an AF collective is out of sync and the service becomes not responsive, this is not detected by mPI and not flagged by the NOC

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Move "New Analysis Template" and "New Notification Rule Template" buttons beside the "New Template" button & rename "New Template"

When I am in the Analysis Templates tab, I always make the mistake of thinking that "New Template" will give me a new analysis template, when it in fact gives a new element template or a new event frame template.

For consistency and clarity, the "New Template" button should be renamed to say "New Element Template" or "New Event Frame Template".

Also, the existing "New Analysis Template" and "New Notification Rule Template" buttons should be moved up beside the "New Template" button, much like the "New Attribute Template" button.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Fix alignment of dotted border on selected attributes

When you select an attribute, a dotted border appears around the attribute. However, it is 1 pixel too far to the right. Please align it with the solid border.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Let the dimension of an analysis determine the attribute's allowable default UOMs

Currently, if an analysis is mapped to an attribute, the dimension of the analysis's output is ignored and the user must instead choose the attribute's default UOM manually based on the intended dimension of the analysis's output.

To help the user out, the choices of default UOM should be restricted to those whose dimension matches that of the analysis output. If any other unit is chosen, an error should be produced.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Referenced Elements in PI AF

We have a referenced Elements created In PI AF. We see the referenced elements has the same Element ID. Currently there is not flag to differentiate the Original Element from the Referenced Element. In PI AF it has a little arrow which tells us it is a referenced element. Would you be able to add flag for the referenced elements in the Element tables? Thanks!

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. PSE: Make list of EF searches dependent on AF Database

Currently the list of EF searches is only user-specific. But if i switch databases i end up with a list of searches that make no sense for this AFDB as e.g. the templates do not even exist.

I would like to have the list of EF searches to be specific for the current AFdatabase so that i have a list of searches that makes sense for this AFDB.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Automatically apply Excel data validation to PI Builder columns

Currently, if there is a problem in the user's PI Builder sheet, the user will not know until they click on "Publish" and see the error messages.

To help avoid this, consider having PI Builder apply Excel's data validation feature to columns that do not have to connect to the PI Data Archive or the PI Asset Framework to be validated. For example, set up data validation to ensure that certain columns contain only numerical values, integers, dates, or numbers in a certain range. For columns with a fixed number of choices (e.g. the point type attribute of PI Points,…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PI Builder  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Strange punctuation in the PI Annotations Editor "save changes" message

In the PI Annotations Editor, which is accessible by clicking on "Annotations" after right-clicking on a value in the Archive Editor, if you make changes to the annotations and try to close the PI Annotations Editor without saving, the following message appears:

"There are unsaved changes, do you want to save them now?"

The quotation marks are unnecessary and the message is a run-on sentence. It should instead say:

There are unsaved changes. Do you want to save them now?

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Have better default column widths, dynamic auto-fitting of columns

When I first open PI System Management tools, the column widths in many of the plug-ins that use tables usually don't make much sense. For example, some columns start off too narrow to show the entirety of their longest value, which might not be that long. Meanwhile, in the same table, the last column is usually unnecessarily long, extending to the right edge of the PI SMT window to fill in the remaining space, regardless of how short the longest value in that column may be.

My suggestion is that when PI SMT opens, start the tables off with column…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Dynamically show/hide button labels

Currently, every PI System Management Tools plug-in has buttons at the top. To know what a button does, you must hover over it and read the tooltip. If the PI SMT is maximized, the buttons usually use up very little of the horizontal space available to them. This space could be used for button labels.

My suggestion is that if the PI SMT window is large enough, show the button labels beside the buttons, and if the PI SMT window is too small, then hide the button labels. This showing and hiding should adapt to however the user decides to…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Additional columns for tuning parameters

In PI System Management Tools → Operation → Tuning Parameters, add a "Unit" column and a "Takes Effect" column.

Not only does this prevent having to click on the tuning parameter to know its unit, but it also shortens the tuning parameter's description, since each description has a dedicated sentence for each column that I am proposing.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Inconsistent spelling of "plug-in"

Go to PI System Management Tools. In the View menu, we see "Plug-Ins". If we click on Settings in the View menu, we see "plugins".

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Spelling mistake in Performance Counters

Go to PI System Management Tools → IT Points → Performance Counters → See Table. In the window that appears, "substitution" is misspelled as "substituion".

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED