PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 2 votes
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Change Event Frame Analysis Category of the Specific Element

If I have an element template with event frame analyses and notifications, I might want to change the event frame analysis category of a specific element. I thought this could be done by selecting “Allow Extensions” for the element template, but I can’t seem to change the analyses category or notification category for a specific element even when I allow extensions. From a management standpoint it would be nice to filter on these categories to turn on/off specific analyses and notifications.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. library management

As an administrator I require a better mechanism to manager AF Library objects across multiple AF servers.

I would suggest extending the current library functionality in AF to include the following:
    * library can be versioned
    * Objects created in AF from a library are read-only and linked to the library. e.g. a user is unable to alter an element template that is created from a library. If the library is updated the linked object in AF is updated. If the object is removed from the library the equivalent object is removed from AF.
    * Powershell based interface for the…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Provide mechanism to assist in Kerberos configuration / delegation testing

As a PI Admin, I need assistance configuring and testing Kerberos delegation, so that I can access the full functionality of the products without exposing my system.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Provide a way to get context information in Expression and Event Frame Generation analyses

As a user of Asset Analytics I would like to reference parent element attributes, name, and other context information in Expression and Event Frame Generation analyses, even when it is not known during configuration time what the parent element will be so that I can write better conditionals such as : If ParentElement = “Foo” then ‘..\Foo|attributeFoo’ ELSE ‘..\Bar|attributeBar’

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Shift based sending

As a Plant manager I would like to assign specific people to receive notifications based on the time of day since they work in shifts and different people are responsible for the equipment at different times of the day.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Enable PI Builder for Office Web Apps

As a user, I want to be able to use PI Builder in a web browswer, so that I can use PI Builder with Office 365.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PI Builder  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Have more user-friendly names for objects, columns, and column groups

The current names of objects, columns, and column groups usually use some combination of camel case, abbreviations, and no spaces, which makes them difficult to read. Nobody writes like this outside of programming, and most users of PI Builder are administrators, not developers.

It's not like spaces are never used; they are just not used enough. For example, the UOMClass object has a column group called "UOM Mapping". The ElementTemplate object has a column group called "Attribute Columns".

Please make the names more user-friendly.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PI Builder  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Expand PI Point Array DR functionality: Source Units

Currently, the PI Point Array data reference allows the Source Units field to be set, but this setting applies to all points in the array. It would be better if the Source Units field could be set individually for each point in the array for conversion to the Default UOM.
    Use case: we have multiple PI Points we want to put into an array, but some have source units of lb/h while others have source units of klb/h. We would like to enter the source units individually so all values in the array are converted to the same UOM (klb/h).

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Create additional Limit trait attributes

Currently there are 7 standard limits available to be used as limit traits. However there are situations where more than 7 are required. Users would like an option to create additional limit traits rather than having to manually configuring additional intervals in PI Vision multi-state.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add Process Capability Statistics fundtions (Cpk, Ppk)

While it is possible to manually calculate Process Capability Statistics, such as Cpk and Ppk, using AF Asset Analytics, it would be much more convenient to have a built in function to calculate these values, specifically in relation to the SQC Western Electric rules analyses available in AF asset analytics already.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Setting to send email notification to all subscribers on one email

I believe this has been requested before by someone but I can't find it so I am submitting a new feedback/request. It would be very useful if there was a setting for PI Notifications that would allow for sending emails to all subscribers on a notification rule in a single email instead of sending individual emails to each subscriber. For example, if there was a setting that would allow sending one email for a notification rule with all subscribers on the "TO" line that would allow users on the email notification to see who else received the alert and provide…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow multiple Notification Message Formats for the same Notification

For Notifications which send on Event Start and Event End, it would be useful to have the ability to have multiple Message Formats for the same Notification (one to send out at start, one to send out at end).

Advantages:
    -Can include "End Time" in only the Notification sent at end (rather than showing an erroneous 1/1/1970 00:00:00 included in the Notification sent at start)
    -Can include "Duration" in only the Notification sent at end
    -Can fully customize different messages for start and end of the Event Frame

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Improve Asset Analytics error message: "<Attribute>: Cannot convert <time> to AF time"

The error message thrown when attempting to use a timestamp input with ValueType other than DateTime in an Asset Analytics calculation refers to "AF Time," which is unclear for many users.

An example of when the error would be thrown is when creating an expression that uses TagVal('attr1', 'time1'), where 'time1' is a String-valued attribute.

A better error message would read something like:

"<Attribute>: Cannot convert <time> to ValueType DateTime"

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Improve PI Server Installation kit: disk space requirements should include the minimal PI Backup

When calculating the disk space requirements on a recent upgrade the drive was expected to have only 138 MB installed. But the install failed due to not enough disk space on the drive because the minimal backup needed a certain amount of disk space. This need should be included in the Required Disk Space panel when upgrading.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Output Acknowledging Event Frame to PI Tags

AF/EF is used to contextualize the OEE Event. However, because reason codes entries does not include the name of the person who entered the code and/or the time it was entered, we leverage ODBC to gain access to the Event Frame record.

Due to the reason above, we are storing Event Frame Acknowledgement information to PI Tags. We would like to have some functionality where acknowledging an Event Frame or adding a comment can trigger an Analysis or Notification so that we can output those information to PI Data Archive and eventually save those information (Name, DateTime of acknowledgement) to…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Extend Saved Searches feature in PI-SDK Tag Search to PI Builder

Add the ability to save search criteria defined in Find PI Point - similar to Favorites in PI SDK Tag Search dialog.

Extend this to AF searches as well - saving favorites

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Optimize the storage and retrieval of digital tags

Given that the archive file format is proprietary, this suggestion is me shooting in the dark.

Disk compression compresses archive files very well, and my guess is that most of this compression occurs on the digital tags, since the number of possible values that they can take on is limited. In contrast, the number of possible values that a floating-point tag can have is huge, so there is not much opportunity for compression.

Please consider optimizing the storage of digital tags so that their data takes up less space in the archive and can potentially be retrieved faster.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Compress archives that are backed up using "Copy"

Currently, when a "copy" backup occurs, the archives are copied as-is. Archive files take up a lot of space, but they also compress very well, and since archive backups are rarely accessed, it makes sense to trade off increased access time (due to the additional work of decompression) to get a smaller file size for the archive backups.

The exact method of compression (new file format, put archives in a compressed folder, etc.) will be up to OSIsoft. In my testing, I used disk compression on the archive files.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Fetch multiple PI Points from one list

1) Select some rows from a column with a list of point name on Excel.
    2) In PI Builder, Click on a new button (Find PI Points From List...) and then it will fetch all parameters of matching points in the server vs the list.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA/PREVIEW
COMPLETED