PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.

How can we improve the PI Server?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. AF Elements reference across AF Databases

Customer would like to be able to use AF Data References to reference AF Elements that reside in different AF Databases. This would allow him to not have to replicate elements and attributes across multiple databases.

18 votes
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Tag Search GUI consistency among client tools

Consistency among tag search GUIs within client products (PI Builder, DataLink, SMT, ProcessBook, etc.)  The search in PI Builder has limited functionality and would be nice to have the same search GUI as used in SMT and ProcessBook.

18 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow Copy & Paste of Notification Rules

I would like to be able to copy a notification rule in PI System Explorer from an existing element or template and paste it on another element or template. That way when I have similar notification rules, I can copy/paste and make only the changes I need instead of recreating the rule.

18 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add reset and hold triggers to SQC analytics

Add the triggers to SQC rules to reset or hold the SQC rule. When monitoring a periodic or batch based process, a user needs to be able to hold the SQC rule or put that rule in a hold state until the process resumes. Without this feature, virtually all violations to the SQC rules are caused by the downtime periods - not the steady state process users are really intending to monitor

18 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add a function to calculate the week number of the year

In order to calculate the current shift operating at a plant, I need to calculate where in the 28-day cycle the current week is. Knowing which week of the year it is allows me to do that. Note that current PI weekday functions always count Sunday as Day 1, while some Excel functions count Monday as Day 1. It might be important to have an option to specify which day of the week is Day 1.

18 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Track if auditing was turned off

I want the ability to track if auditing was turned off for the PI System (PI Data Archive and AF) so that I can determine if there was the risk of potential changes that were not captured by PI System audit functions.

18 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Attribute Synonyms

As a AF Administrator, I would like to be able to define a list of synonym names for attributes associated with an element template SO THAT different sites leveraging the template can have their attributes shown based on their "local" terminology.

For example, one site might call an attribute 'Speed' and another site might call it "RPM".

It's a challenge to get sites to agree on what to call things in a standard template which can result in little progress of building out AF.

18 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow writing arrays as a time series to an output

I would like to be able to configure outputs in an analysis to write at multiple time points (which are defined by the result of an array function).

My use case is to:

1. Configure an attribute as a Time Series Table Lookup
    2. Create an analysis that retrieves the values of this attribute as an array, e.g. using RecordedValues
    3. Transform the data using MapData
    4. Write the result back to another attribute that is configured as a PI Point

17 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Easily deploying and maintaining AF objects in multiple remote AF databases

Originally posted on PI Square at https://pisquare.osisoft.com/ideas/5538-easily-deploying-and-maintaining-af-objects-in-multiple-remote-af-databases

Today, one of the method that can be used to selectively reconcile object changes (including templates, analyses, UOM, etc.) between source and destination servers is using Excel (in order to keep track of object changes and/or object deletions). However, it is very time-consuming and prone to errors.

Inspired in the current project I am working on (containing a central AF server and remote AF servers), it would be great to have a tool that allowed us to deploy and maintain all types of AF objects in a selective way in multiple remote…

17 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Automatic Recapture Values for Event Frames

I would like to have the possibility of automatically recapturing values for event frames, so if the lab data comes in after the events are generated the late values could be recaptured automatically and in bulk. This will save the time and effort to manually identify and recapture values for each of those event frames using PI System Explorer.

17 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Which tags are being used by a PI Analysis

As a PI Administrator, I want to know which tags are being used at which PI Analysis so I can know exactly if there is already another Analysis writing to a tag and avoid duplicated or wrong data.

17 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Filter Expressions for PI Point Data Refences

Allow the use of filter expressions, similarly PI DataLink Compressed Data, so that you can visualize or perform calculations on filtered data (e.g., excluding bad values, certain digital states, etc.).

17 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Ability to send a notification without being triggered by an event frame

As a notification user I want to receive a report on daily or weekly basis but I don’t want to store any associated data about it like the event frame information or the notification history since I use event frames for other purposes and I don’t want to clutter my PI system

17 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Event Frames & Notifications

Event frames are pretty powerful and mark the start and end of events. We use Event Frames to mark when we are in and out of compliance in regards to certain regulations. We would like the capability to create Notifications that triggers every X amount of days that sends the start and end times for a specified event frame for a designated date range.

Example - Email triggered every 90 days.

SUBJECT - $Event Framework Name$
    Dear Compliance,
    The following dates were when the PI system marked events and we were out of compliance.
    Event Frame Name: Transformer…

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Event Frames search across AF databases.

We've several PI servers and AF servers where same products are running, so we need the ability to search Event Frames across our AF databases to compare production performance. This search ability should be available in all clients; PI Vision, DataLink etc.

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Search Mappings and Trusts in SMT

We have hundreds of mappings/trusts in SMT and there's no way to search them (apart from exporting it all to Excel, and searching there, then going back to SMT to make necessary changes - not user friendly). There needs to be a basic search bar at the top of that panel, and it should search all fields (except server and collective) in whatever tab has focus (mappings or trusts). 

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Improvement of AF Identities/Mappings - Make it similar to PI Data Archive

When adding a Mapping to an Identity in the AF Server this will always generate a new mapping linked to a user/group account.

If this user/group account it's already mapped to an identity then, by default, it will add 1 to the mapping name.

If I have a user called PISCHOOL\u602 and I add it to an identity Engineers it will generate a mapping called PISCHOOL\U602. If I add this same user to another identity like Support then it will by default generate a mapping called PISCHOOL\U603.

This can be misleading since the PISCHOOL\U603 user might already exist and we…

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Event Frame (EF) Linking

Ability to link Event Frames coming in from different sources (batch & mes interfaces, EFgen, PI Analytics, custom, etc.) together based on rules and monitoring an EF attribute SO THAT it's easier to associate time frame context and data that is related together but come from different sources.

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Scheduled backfilling for a specific time frame on analyses

Add the capability to perform scheduled backfills for a specific time frame, for analyses created on PI System Explorer.

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. It would be great to have the ability to hide the Event Frame End Time in the Notification Email When a Notification Triggers

It would be great to have the ability to hide the Event Frame End Time in the Notification Email when the notification first triggers.
    At this time, and End Time of 12/31/9999 11:59:59 PM Central Standard Time (GMT-06:00:00) is displayed even though an event is not closed.
    Note: in this case notifications have been set up to send at Event Start and End Time.

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED