PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. AF Transformer sync functionailty

1. AF Transformer should be able to sync changes made in the source AF Database: if an element is added, deleted or edited.  For the deletions there should be a way to select the behavior: delete an object from the target database, place it under a different hierarchy, rename or do nothing. 

2. It would be also helpful to have an additional AF property in AF - deletion flag. A power user will be reviewing a list of elements flagged for deletion and will be making a decision - delete, rename, move or do nothing (similar to functionality in the connectors admin…
    24 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  AF Transformer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Order by name (alphanumerically) the Analysis in the Management tab in PI System Explorer

I would like to be able to order by name (alphanumerically) the Analysis in the Management tab in PI System Explorer after retrieving a list of analyses through a search/filtering. This could be done by clicking on the Name column.

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Track if auditing was turned off

I want the ability to track if auditing was turned off for the PI System (PI Data Archive and AF) so that I can determine if there was the risk of potential changes that were not captured by PI System audit functions.

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

How would you like to track this information? For example, is it sufficient to be a message in a log file, a performance counter? Do you want to maintain the history of all the changes you want on this flag? This will help us understand how to implement it.

4. Ability to clear and not send notifications on Notification service startup.

We've had issue with Notifications spamming users with events should a PI collective member stop getting data.

At times, we need to disable the notification service until we can resolve the issue. After the issue is resolved, we need to start the notification service, and need an option to have it not send past email notifications.

To be clear, clear all past events on service startup.

23 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Remove installation kits' dependency on write permission to root C:\.

Some organizations do not provide admin accounts with write permission to the root C:\ directory. The install kits of most PI products copy the setup.ini to C:\pisetup.ini, and then write the logs to C:\ before moving them to %pipc%\dat, both of which require write permission to C:. The only workaround for now is to find someone with that permission to run the kit (typically an IT member).

23 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Installation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow writing arrays as a time series to an output

I would like to be able to configure outputs in an analysis to write at multiple time points (which are defined by the result of an array function).

My use case is to:

1. Configure an attribute as a Time Series Table Lookup

2. Create an analysis that retrieves the values of this attribute as an array, e.g. using RecordedValues

3. Transform the data using MapData

4. Write the result back to another attribute that is configured as a PI Point

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Can you clarify if your use case has 1 output PI Point or multiple PI Point(s)?

Is there any reason why you are not using RDBMS interface to bring your table data into the PI System? That would remove a lot of complexity and greatly improve performance.

7. Event Frame (EF) Linking

Ability to link Event Frames coming in from different sources (batch & mes interfaces, EFgen, PI Analytics, custom, etc.) together based on rules and monitoring an EF attribute SO THAT it's easier to associate time frame context and data that is related together but come from different sources.

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Scheduled backfilling for a specific time frame on analyses

Add the capability to perform scheduled backfills for a specific time frame, for analyses created on PI System Explorer.

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. late notification

At times I have event frames that generate late for various reasons that trigger a notification. Since it was late we have no need to get the notification. I would like a way to not have a notification trigger if it is late.

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Set name of Event Frame on close (or by the value of an EF output attribute)

It would be useful if Analysis Service would set the name of the Event Frame on close rather than open.

The use case is customer wants to dynamically set the name by a value of an EF attribute (possibly an EF output attribute) - for example, if a value changes while the event frame is opened, the customer wants to output the status of whether it has changed or not to an EF attribute and use that value such as  "<Event Frame name> - changed" instead of just "<Event Frame name>"

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Allow changes to pitimeout table (tuning parameters) to be audited

I can be helpful when tracking down issues or troubleshooting past events what the values of tuning parameters were at a given time. Adding the ability to Audit this table would allow retrospective insight into tuning parameter configurations.

A similar enhancement specifically regarding Auditing can be found here:
    https://feedback.osisoft.com/forums/555148-pi-server/suggestions/18740068-track-if-auditing-was-turned-off

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Improve UI for Analysis Service Statistics

It can be difficult to locate an analysis group in the current (2.9.5) UI for the Analysis Statistics in a large system. Currently the groups are organized in decreasing order of lag which is great to troubleshoot latency issues. However, if one wants to keep an eye on the performance of a particular group, they must scroll through the list to find the group which can be painful in a large system. This comes up frequently when trying to see if a group is has some skip counts.

One way of improving the UI could be to include the type…

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow BadVal to check multiple inputs or IFERROR

Right now BadVal can only check one variable or Expression.  So if I am evaluating an expression with say 10 inputs, and I want the expression to output NoOutput() if any one of the 10 inputs are BadVal, then I have 2 options right now. 

1) copy the whole expression into the BadVal funtion and do "if badval(expression) then NoOutput() Else expression".

2) Do "if (BadVal(input1) or BadVal(input2) or ...) then NoOutput() else expression".

Ideally you would have a IFERROR function like in Excel.  So you would just type "IFERROR(expression,NoOutput())

Alternatively you could have BadVal allow multuple inputes.  So "If…

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Auditviewer App Suggestion

I want the ability to determine what PI System Configuration Changes (AF & PI Data Archive) are legitimate and approved, with the criteria of being able to focus on changes that occurred during a user defined time range. I want to minimize the time it takes to confirm that changes were appropriate with the ability to focus on certain tags/af attributes and/or time for the change.

I want the ability to associate a change control record to PI System Configuration Changes.

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Exclude analysis output attributes when the analysis is suspended

When the PI Analysis service determines an Analysis should be Suspended, it should also set any output Attributes to be Excluded. As the Analysis is Suspended, it will not output any results and if it has always been Suspended, the output Tags will never get created. Excluding the output Attributes will keep the Element looking clean and also allow dependent Analyses to go into a Suspended state instead of throwing an error when they can't find the Tags. Similarly it will prevent other applications (OSIsoft and third parties) from querying the Attributes and also throwing errors, causing performance issues.

Automatically…

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Custom Severity Levels for Event Frames (EF) Triggers

Enable the ability for end-user to manage custom severity levels for event frames, to allow for better communications across response teams and business unit functions.

Exposing EF severity levels within a PI Notifications messages is very helpful in providing quick context to an issue. However, it can create confusion when those severity levels do not map well to a specific company's internal standard for incident reporting in either the severity level namings or qty of severity levels.

EXAMPLE MAPPING PROBLEM:
    Event Frame = None, Information, Warning, Minor, Major, Critical
    Cust 1 = Normal, SEV5, SEV4, SEV3, SEV2, SEV1
    Cust 2…

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Allow selection of output timestamp for values written by the outputs at close feature in Event Frames

It would be nice to have the option to select either starttime or endtime of the eventframe as the timestamp for the value that will be written a PI tag using the Outputs at close feature in Event Frames. Currently, it will only write the value with a timestamp of the endtime of the event frame.

Use case:

I have an event frame and I would like to see the average of an attribute value for that duration of that time frame on PI Vision. The expectation is to see a horizontal line indicating the average value throughout the duration…

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Trigger automatic recalculation for snapshot changed values

As for now, automatic recalculation is not triggered by changes on snapshot (KB01790), which means auto-recalculation does not work with snapshots values.
    The idea of it doing otherwise is to help users that mistakenly added a wrong new event to a manual data entry tag to fix it and all related analyses.

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Editing or adding of Annotation/Comment to Event Frame

Currently, PI Builder does not support editing or adding of annotation/comment to Event Frame. The suggestion will easily allow users to backfill or edit annotation/comment in bulk.

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PI Builder  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. SecSinceValueChange

One of the items i need to build frequently, yet no support in analytics yet.
    I want to habe an AF Analysis function that returns the number of seconds a value of an attribute has changed. E.g. to calculate how long a pump is running, how long a batch is running, etc.

Currently i need to workaround using a secondary trigger attribute and SecSinceChange, so two analysis and an additional PI Point.

Also see topic here: https://pisquare.osisoft.com/thread/14374-af-analyses-secsincechange-strange-output

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
TELL US MORE
EVALUATING
PLANNED
IN DEVELOPMENT
COMPLETED
DECLINED