PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Spelling mistake in Archive_AutoArchiveFileSize's description

In the description of the tuning parameter Archive_AutoArchiveFileSize, "occurs" is misspelled as "occurrs". This misspelling is also followed by a semicolon instead of a period.

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Button for unchecking all Trigger On attributes when setting up an analysis

When setting up an Analysis in Pi System Explorer as Event Triggered, all attributes will by default be chosen as Trigger on.

Normally, I would only like the analysis to trigger on one input, if there are many attributes deselecting all is time consuming. There are also a bug (that have been reported earlier which selects all inputs when you do changes to the analysis).

It would therefore be nice if an option to Deselect All inputs were made available. An option to select all is already there.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Improve Notification - PI Coresight URL Configuration

It would be better to have validate URL option in the PI Coresight URL Configurations windows in Notifications->Message Format->Insert Link feature. This would prevent the user from hitting post config incorrect Coresight URL issues.

Currently we do not have a choice to hit the coresight display by display name alone followed by Base Coresight URL address. For example, we may have to give either "/Displays/<ID>/displayname" or "/Displays/<ID>" in the Display name field. It would be good to have a informational message on valid Coresight URL format for native Coresight and PB Displays.

In addition to that, it would be good…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Exclude certain event frames when performing backfilling/recalculation

As an asset-analytics user, I need a way for certain event frames to be excluded when backfilling an analysis .
    Use case:
    We have several event frames that are used as Logs/Shift books. Those events do contain a few static attributes. such as comments, quality information, etc. Some also have event frames linked manually (in the form of event. frame references).
    Our problem is that if we start a backfill/recalc, the manual entries will be deleted and the event frame references will be lost.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Ability to convert historical tags to future data tags

As a production supervisor, I would like to be able to convert historical data tags to future data tags so that I can more efficiently transition my production target tags from being something that I have to update every day, to something that I can update ahead of time. Currently my production target tags are historical data tags, meaning that I have to go in every morning and update the tag with today's production target. I'll be upgrading my PI Server soon, which will allow me to use the future data feature. If I could make these tags into future…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. One Step Process to Clean Cached Events on Mobile Devices with PIML Mobile

As a user of Manual Logger Mobile, I would like the ability to easily manage the number of cached devices on my mobile device. It is a lot of steps required to clean up the number of cached events on a handheld device.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Database & Tag Security Editing - Usability

Users should have the option of updating tag security directly from SMT

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Normalized view of the Database Security Table

Currently, the Security column in the Database Security Table uses the following notation for its values (example):
    piadmin: A(r,w) | piadmins: A(r,w) | PI Readers: A(r) | PIWorld: A(r)

This crams multiple PI Identities and access types into a single cell.

Consider adding an option to view this table in a more normalized form. That is, split the Security column into PI Identity and Access Type (read or write). This way, we can sort the PI Identify column to group PI Identities together. Then we can easily see which tables a PI Identity has access to rather than visually inspecting…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Auto-balance archive files

The disadvantage of fixed archives is that they cannot grow or shrink. The disadvantage of dynamic archives is that they can potentially grow too much. Merging of small archives and splitting of large archives must be done manually.

To solve this problem, consider making all archives dynamic, but allow the user to specify an acceptable size range for the archive files. If archive files fall out of that range, they can be split or merged automatically.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Automatically set an attribute's Value Type based on the PI Point point type

If an attribute uses a PI Point data reference, automatically set the attribute's Value Type based on the PI Point's point type.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Propagate variable renaming

If a variable is renamed, the rename should propagate to the definitions of other variables that use the renamed variable.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. URI DataReference to support substitution variables

The URI DataReference cannot use substitution variables, and thus if you have 1000 URI attributes to refer to a Coresight display, you need to specify your Coresight server 1000 times.
    Having that URI (or other parts) in another attribute would be helpful.

Currently i use the stringbuilder for that reason, as the URI builder does not support this.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Permit me to keep "no data" and also use tag with AF Analytics

I'd like a way that permits me to use AF analytics on "no-data" pi points without requiring me to strip/remove all no-data points, so that I can also use "no-data" for notifications.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Display path of element in the PSE

As a user, I would like to be able to easily see the full path of an element in the General tab, and be able to copy this path to my clipboard.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Specific Number of Required Acknowledgements for an Escalation Team

A way to require a certain number of acknowledgments for an escalation team? (ie: Only stop notifying if 3 or more people of my 5 person escalation have acknowledged the notification)

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Show different status icon for Notification when it's Event Frame is not Running

For notifications triggered off of an event frame analysis, it is possible for the event frame analysis to be turned “off” (not showing green checkmark) while the corresponding notification still shows a green checkmark. This seems slightly misleading because the notification is technically not running or being evaluated because the event frame is off. Is there a way to show a different icon for the notification if it’s corresponding event frame is not in a running state?

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. library management

As an administrator I require a better mechanism to manager AF Library objects across multiple AF servers.

I would suggest extending the current library functionality in AF to include the following:
    * library can be versioned
    * Objects created in AF from a library are read-only and linked to the library. e.g. a user is unable to alter an element template that is created from a library. If the library is updated the linked object in AF is updated. If the object is removed from the library the equivalent object is removed from AF.
    * Powershell based interface for the…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Provide mechanism to assist in Kerberos configuration / delegation testing

As a PI Admin, I need assistance configuring and testing Kerberos delegation, so that I can access the full functionality of the products without exposing my system.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Create Analysis and Notifications when limits are set on attributes

As a Notification user I would like a one-click way of configuring a notification on the limits I have set on the attribute so that I spend less time configuring a simple notification such as this.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED