PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.

How can we improve the PI Server?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add new PIPointAttribute for "StaleTimeout"

While no customers have asked for this directly, I have seen many customers ask how to check a tag for being stale. The solution to date assumes all tags have the same staleness timeout, which really is not the case most of the time.

This new "StaleTimeout" point attribute would be a duration (time span) customizable for each tag. There could also be a new PIPoint property called "IsStale" which could bounce the current value's timestamp off the "StaleTimeout".

15 votes
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Rick,

We are considering how to implement Data Quality in an upcoming release. A subset of that is if data is stale. If you can help us gather more customer use cases to better document the problem, and help us get a sense of how many customers would benefit from this feature, that would be extremely helpful.

Specifically, what would be very helpful is the requirements customers have to determine when a data point is stale. We are making a serious effort to simplify the management of the PI System, so we would like to be able to avoid asking users to spend time configuring yet another parameter.

2. Dynamic element search/view for rollup

As a user of Asset Analytics I would like to have more flexibility in including elements in my rollup calculation so that I would not need to build large hierarchies just for the purpose of rollup analyses.

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Option to not capture value for event frames generation

As an engineer I need the option to not capture values for event frames generation so that if I have out-of-order events, I don't have to recapture the values.

Note: This was previously Enhancement 114349.

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow selection of output timestamp for values written by the outputs at close feature in Event Frames

It would be nice to have the option to select either starttime or endtime of the eventframe as the timestamp for the value that will be written a PI tag using the Outputs at close feature in Event Frames. Currently, it will only write the value with a timestamp of the endtime of the event frame.

Use case:

I have an event frame and I would like to see the average of an attribute value for that duration of that time frame on PI Vision. The expectation is to see a horizontal line indicating the average value throughout the duration…

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow Notification rules to return an EF attribute value belonging to a different event frame in AF

I have a scenario where I would like that a certain Notification Rule, set for an Event Frame analysis (EF1), allows to return the value of an EF attribute belonging to a different Event Frame (EF2).

On this scenario, the EF2 is triggered and finishes inside the time period of EF1.

I would like to have the possibility that when EF1 is triggered the notification rules allow to find the value of the attribute belonging to EF2.

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Provide a way to backfill/recalculate analyses from Analysis Template tab in PSE

It is difficult to find all the analyses from template to backfill/recalculate after making changes in Analysis Template.  Currently one has to navigate to the Management plug-in, do some sort of search/filter, then queue the analyses.  This is a multi-step process.  Consider providing a better user experience.

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Ability to override analysis in a derived template

When i create a derived Element Template, i would like to be able to override an inherited analysis. Now i am severly limited in the re-use of templates due to this limitation. I cannot extend nor exclude functionality in a derived template if this is used in an analysis, because i cannot adapt the inherited analysis.

This is similar to https://feedback.osisoft.com/forums/555148-pi-server/suggestions/17865355-exclude-analysis-function
    but the two would complement each other quite well

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Delay Real-Time Calculations until backfill is finished.

For recursive Analyses such as below :
    PrevVal(tagA,'*') + 'TagB' → output : tagA

When the PI Analysis Service is down (or the node needs to be restarted), the current calculation needs to be halted until the Backfilling reaches up to the start up time. Or else the value will not be as expected.

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Consume event frame data in attributes

As an user, I want to be able to retrieve results of event frame searches and summaries and store them as AF attributes so that I can view event frame data in an AF attribute.

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Enable tracing for one individual Analysis

On a highly loaded system with thousands of analysis i have one analysis that is misbehaving, missing executions but no skipped count, etc. Currently tracing enables tracing for ALL analysis creating an ocean of logging to plough through for that one event every few days.

As an AF administrator i would like to turn on Tracing for one or more individual analysis to investigate rare issues that happen over time, without logging ALL analysis evaluations as 99.9999% runs fine.

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Use %Duration% with Formula Data Reference as Best Practice for EF Duration Attribute (AF 2017 R2+)

This is a followup to discussions with Roger Palmen and Rick Davin about their excellent writeups on the topic of EF Duration attributes; see Event Frame duration - easy way in AF2.6 or higher & Duration attribute on an Event Frame - Part 1 , respectively.
    With the addition of the %Duration% substitution parameter and it's support in the Formula Data Reference, the following is suggested as a standard way to add a Duration attribute with values in a Time class UOM for newer versions of AF.
    Create an EF attribute template with the following configuration:

Note 1: no parameters…

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Improve search Capabilities of Management Tab

A few minor improvements to the search and filtering capabilities of the management tab could save time when doing backfills at scale - for example after transferring several elements from a development server.  If possible the following search capabilities could be very useful:
    -Improve search by template: Currently when searching by template every analysis will be listed and in alphabetical order by analysis - not template name which makes it difficult to search. It could be helpful if it were possible to choose one template and every analysis associated with that template would be included.  At the very least, adjust…

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Individual Collective Members Health (data matches with other nodes)

Originally posted on PI Square at https://pisquare.osisoft.com/ideas/29295-individual-collective-members-health-data-matches-with-other-nodes

We would like a way to know if a node in a collective is not receiving the same data as the other nodes. It's my understanding that all nodes in the collective receive very similar data. The PI collective node members should be able to talk with each other to know if one node is not getting similar data.

At times, a node receiving data from PItoPI or other methods, may not be getting data. The data could be buffering (a single path), hard drive space may have ran out on the…

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. As an avid user/admin of AF, in PSE I would like an option to display large attribute values with commas (Internal WI 36575)

Currently, in PSE there is no way to display attribute values greater than or equal to 1000 with commas for the thousands separators. Ex: 1,234,456 instead of 123456. This option exists in other PI Clients (i.e. PI Vision) and should be available in all PI Clients.

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Allow Max Rollup to provide AF Element-attribute

Using the Max Rollup function - I would like to know which element provided the maximum value and output this as well so I can historize the information.

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Improve UI for Analysis Service Statistics

It can be difficult to locate an analysis group in the current (2.9.5) UI for the Analysis Statistics in a large system. Currently the groups are organized in decreasing order of lag which is great to troubleshoot latency issues. However, if one wants to keep an eye on the performance of a particular group, they must scroll through the list to find the group which can be painful in a large system. This comes up frequently when trying to see if a group is has some skip counts.

One way of improving the UI could be to include the type…

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Add flag for offline archive reprocessing to honor archived digital state values

If a tag is edited to use a new digital state set, this set will be used for all future data even though the previous state set is still used for historical data.  If a historical archive (prior to editing the digital state set used by the point) is reprocessed, the events within the archive will be coerced to the new digital state set.  This can be very confusing if the archived data is intended to be the old digital state set.

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Allow BadVal to check multiple inputs or IFERROR

Right now BadVal can only check one variable or Expression.  So if I am evaluating an expression with say 10 inputs, and I want the expression to output NoOutput() if any one of the 10 inputs are BadVal, then I have 2 options right now. 

1) copy the whole expression into the BadVal funtion and do "if badval(expression) then NoOutput() Else expression".

2) Do "if (BadVal(input1) or BadVal(input2) or ...) then NoOutput() else expression".

Ideally you would have a IFERROR function like in Excel.  So you would just type "IFERROR(expression,NoOutput())

Alternatively you could have BadVal allow multuple inputes.  So "If…

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Option to use Good Data only in Analyses.

Analyses can suffer from bad calculations due to bad events for a tag, such as system digital state events returned for a numerical tag.

Although BadVal() can be implemented to avoid using bad events in these analyses, they add another layer of complexity the expression.

The addition of a "Use Good Data" only option in the analysis tab in PSE that applies BadVal handling on top of an analysis would help simplify expressions.

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Allow default value for rollup analysis

Allow a default value to be specified for rollup analysis. This value would be used when the rollup cannot find any matching attributes, thereby eliminating a lot of rollup analysis errors and Calc Failed values from being written.

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED