PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feature suggestion box. We created this forum to hear your ideas, suggestions and feedback.

Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site! Also vote for your favorite features now! We welcome your feedback.

• NOTE: for documentation feedback and bugs, please report to Documentation@osisoft.com rather than entering them on this site.

How can we improve the PI Server?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Manage Analytics for Multiple Databases or Entire AF Server

Currently, the "Management" tab in PSE only allows you to view and manage analyses for the current AF database. Requesting the ability to select and manage analyses for multiple databases or an entire AF server without having to switch between databases.

13 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Dynamic element search/view for rollup

As a user of Asset Analytics I would like to have more flexibility in including elements in my rollup calculation so that I would not need to build large hierarchies just for the purpose of rollup analyses.

13 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Consume event frame data in attributes

As an user, I want to be able to retrieve results of event frame searches and summaries and store them as AF attributes so that I can view event frame data in an AF attribute.

13 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Automatic Recapture Values for Event Frames

I would like to have the possibility of automatically recapturing values for event frames, so if the lab data comes in after the events are generated the late values could be recaptured automatically and in bulk. This will save the time and effort to manually identify and recapture values for each of those event frames using PI System Explorer.

12 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Generate error when header is misspelled

When editing PI Points, PI Builder does not return any error if one of the headers is wrong or misspelled. Simply, nothing is edited for that header and you  only find out at a later time when looking at the PI point. It would be useful if PI Builder could inform you when one of the headers does not match any PI Point attributes.

12 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PI Builder  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Ability to override analysis in a derived template

When i create a derived Element Template, i would like to be able to override an inherited analysis. Now i am severly limited in the re-use of templates due to this limitation. I cannot extend nor exclude functionality in a derived template if this is used in an analysis, because i cannot adapt the inherited analysis.

This is similar to https://feedback.osisoft.com/forums/555148-pi-server/suggestions/17865355-exclude-analysis-function
    but the two would complement each other quite well

12 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Limit element creation using reference types

I’m designing an AF database where we want most things to be correctly set up and planned on the template side, so that end-users can create the AF content later. One of the functionalities I use is creating my own reference types i PI System Explorer, and it works as expected when I define that elements from TemplateB can only be created below elements from TemplateA.

Example: I want to make sure that the only element below “Oil Well with MPFM” is the actual “MPFM”.

I want to make sure that AF designers follow the rules I've set, to keep…

12 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Compare exported AF templates to other environments

A feature to review the changes that will be made when importing AF templates that have been exported from a lower environment.

Example.
    Make changes to element/attribute/archive templates in dev.  Export library to XML.  Compare export to QA templates and provide a report on what all will change to be reviewed before importing.  If it has only the changes you intend to promote, then you can go ahead and import.

12 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Move Auditviewer function away from local PI System access

I want to run the Auditviewer function as a unprivileged remote user, moving away from the current requirement to run as a local user on the PI Data Archive Server.  This is so I can minimize security risk associated with local user access on a Windows server.

12 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add new PIPointAttribute for "StaleTimeout"

While no customers have asked for this directly, I have seen many customers ask how to check a tag for being stale. The solution to date assumes all tags have the same staleness timeout, which really is not the case most of the time.

This new "StaleTimeout" point attribute would be a duration (time span) customizable for each tag. There could also be a new PIPoint property called "IsStale" which could bounce the current value's timestamp off the "StaleTimeout".

12 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Rick,

We are considering how to implement Data Quality in an upcoming release. A subset of that is if data is stale. If you can help us gather more customer use cases to better document the problem, and help us get a sense of how many customers would benefit from this feature, that would be extremely helpful.

Specifically, what would be very helpful is the requirements customers have to determine when a data point is stale. We are making a serious effort to simplify the management of the PI System, so we would like to be able to avoid asking users to spend time configuring yet another parameter.

11. Add read perrmission to the Event Frame Template

It would be great to add read permission to the security table of EF Template. Now you can't deny read access to one specific EF Template. You can only deny access to all templates and to generated EFs, but not to specific template.

This can be an issue in DataLink for example. Here you don't want to list all EF Templates, but only EF Templates which should be accessible for specific user.

12 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Provide more granular configuration for default ACLs

As a PI Administrator of a PI System with complex security requirements, I need to set up different default permissions for various users so they can create tags that automatically have the proper security instead of having to rely on a process/procedure to correct security after the tags are built.

12 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Put an Asset into Offline Mode which stops related analyses and notifications

Have a way to manually (or automatically via another calculation/analytic) put the status of an asset/equipment into an offline/maintenance mode that has the effect of turning any analyses and notifications for that asset off.

12 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Easily deploying and maintaining AF objects in multiple remote AF databases

Originally posted on PI Square at https://pisquare.osisoft.com/ideas/5538-easily-deploying-and-maintaining-af-objects-in-multiple-remote-af-databases

Today, one of the method that can be used to selectively reconcile object changes (including templates, analyses, UOM, etc.) between source and destination servers is using Excel (in order to keep track of object changes and/or object deletions). However, it is very time-consuming and prone to errors.

Inspired in the current project I am working on (containing a central AF server and remote AF servers), it would be great to have a tool that allowed us to deploy and maintain all types of AF objects in a selective way in multiple remote…

11 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. PI System Explorer shows the creation date and last changed date of AF objects by default

As a PI System Explorer user I want to be able to see when was the creation date and last changed date of an AF object without enabling the Audit Trail, similar to the PI SMT feature which is easily accessible and works by default.

11 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Allow BadVal to check multiple inputs or IFERROR

Right now BadVal can only check one variable or Expression.  So if I am evaluating an expression with say 10 inputs, and I want the expression to output NoOutput() if any one of the 10 inputs are BadVal, then I have 2 options right now. 

1) copy the whole expression into the BadVal funtion and do "if badval(expression) then NoOutput() Else expression".

2) Do "if (BadVal(input1) or BadVal(input2) or ...) then NoOutput() else expression".

Ideally you would have a IFERROR function like in Excel.  So you would just type "IFERROR(expression,NoOutput())

Alternatively you could have BadVal allow multuple inputes.  So "If…

11 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Export/Import Contact Groups and/or Delivery Endpoints to XML from PI System Explorer

Please allow one to export, and import, to XML from PI System Explorer Contact Groups and/or Contact Delivery Endpoints.  Doing this with AFExport.exe and AFImport.exe on the AF Server is cumbersome and restrictive.

11 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Option to use Good Data only in Analyses.

Analyses can suffer from bad calculations due to bad events for a tag, such as system digital state events returned for a numerical tag.

Although BadVal() can be implemented to avoid using bad events in these analyses, they add another layer of complexity the expression.

The addition of a "Use Good Data" only option in the analysis tab in PSE that applies BadVal handling on top of an analysis would help simplify expressions.

11 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Ability to view Event Frame Start and End Time in Server Time

As a client user located in a different time zone than the AF Server, I would like to have the ability to view Event Frame start and end time  in server time. Currently it's only possible to view the start and end time of event frames in client time.

11 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Remove Templates for Elements in PI System Explorer

Currently, when you remove a template from an Element in PI System Explorer, you'll remove all existing attributes from the Element.

There should be a functionality in PI System Explorer to remove the template without making changes to the attributes for the element.

Currently, the only workaround is to use PI Builder to remove the template without removing the Attributes associated with said Element.

11 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED