PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Date Format in AF Event Notification

In AF please provide a way to suppress time zone and/or to format the timestamp in AF Events, particularity, Notifications. For example, in the message format in e-mail notification I do not need to indicate the time zone it was triggered in.
    Please make this available in the AF SDK as well as in PI System Explorer.

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add reset and hold triggers to SQC analytics

Add the triggers to SQC rules to reset or hold the SQC rule. When monitoring a periodic or batch based process, a user needs to be able to hold the SQC rule or put that rule in a hold state until the process resumes. Without this feature, virtually all violations to the SQC rules are caused by the downtime periods - not the steady state process users are really intending to monitor

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Native configuration promotion from test to production servers

As a PI Administrator with a test PI Server, I need to be able to easily promote configurations from our test environment to our production environment. Currently this is extremely difficult and a very manual process.

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Ability to change the timezone used in PI System Explorer with a feature similar to what is found in PI DataLink or PI SMT 2017.

As an end user, I would like to be able to change the timezone referenced in PI System Exporer from client timezone to server timezone. Something similar to the "PI Data Archive Time Zone"  setting found in PI DataLink would be helpful.

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Propagate renames of event frame generation analyses to the notification rules

Currently, if an event frame generation analysis is renamed, all notifications rules that use it will display an error message, saying that the event frame generation analysis might have been renamed or deleted.

This message is fine for deletions, but it would be much more user-friendly if the notification rules were to automatically update to reflect the rename of the event frame generation analysis.

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add new PIPointAttribute for "StaleTimeout"

While no customers have asked for this directly, I have seen many customers ask how to check a tag for being stale. The solution to date assumes all tags have the same staleness timeout, which really is not the case most of the time.

This new "StaleTimeout" point attribute would be a duration (time span) customizable for each tag. There could also be a new PIPoint property called "IsStale" which could bounce the current value's timestamp off the "StaleTimeout".

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 64-bit Unix time

Consider upgrading from 32-bit Unix time to 64-bit Unix time so that PI can support dates past January 19, 2038. Reasons:

1. This date is fast approaching as a future value. It is only 20 years away.

2. OSIsoft will need time to implement the 64-bit time stamps and convert all existing and supported PI Data Archives to use the 64-bit time stamps. At least a year of time will be used up for leeway.

3. Once 64-bit Unix time is implemented, then OSIsoft can exclude from training presentations the (very high) upper limit of supported time. This gives the user 1 less…

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Acknowledge of Event Frames requires Reason Code / Comment / Electronic Signature

It should be possible to configure event frames to be acknowledgeable only if a comment/reason code is entered before. we have this requirement sometimes in life science industry, but i can imagine it might be also usefull in other industries (e.g. for saftey relevant events,...).
    a configuration on event / event template base is useful as some events might require an comment and others not.

it should also be possible to configure to require an electronic signature before acknowledge the event. this might be in relation with PI Vision feedback

https://feedback.osisoft.com/forums/320517-pi-vision/suggestions/13659522-notification-event-acknowledgement-support-21-cfr

again the configuration if ESIG is needed should be…

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Event Frames Scalability

Ability to scale event frames to support hundreds of millions of EFs per year.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Value at End Time in PI Notifications 2.X

It would be nice to have the ability to drag and drop the value at end time of  an attribute in the message format of a Notification. We can do this with the value at start time and the value at send time, but not the value at end time. There are some ways to workaround this, but it would be nice to have it as a drag and drop option.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Attachment in a Notifications from a file path

As an AF administrator, I  would like to send in an attachment of a Notification files that are specified by file path in AF attributes. I currently do this by specifying the value at start time of an AF attribute that contains the changing file paths,  in the body of the email. I would like to have this as an attachment instead.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Compare exported AF templates to other environments

A feature to review the changes that will be made when importing AF templates that have been exported from a lower environment.

Example.
    Make changes to element/attribute/archive templates in dev.  Export library to XML.  Compare export to QA templates and provide a report on what all will change to be reviewed before importing.  If it has only the changes you intend to promote, then you can go ahead and import.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Stop EF after given time

Als a PI admin I want to have the option to stop/end a EF after a given time. This helps to trigger and track onetime events as for example taking a reactor sample.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Ability to use substitution parameters in attribute template names

Would like ability to use substitution parameters in attribute template names.  Using PI-SNMP for Linux file partition data. We need to know the storage index# in AF since they vary server to server.  Want to provide users doing searches the actual partition name and the data for them, instead of using Storage Index name attribute (tag value) to determine which is which.

see https://pisquare.osisoft.com/message/77201-substitution-parameter-in-attribute-name-of-template?q=substitution parameters in attribute

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Delay Real-Time Calculations until backfill is finished.

For recursive Analyses such as below :
    PrevVal(tagA,'*') + 'TagB' → output : tagA

When the PI Analysis Service is down (or the node needs to be restarted), the current calculation needs to be halted until the Backfilling reaches up to the start up time. Or else the value will not be as expected.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Access Tag Properties for Notification Content

As an AF user, I would like to be able to store a tag’s instrument tag value in an attribute so that it can be used in the content of a Notification. For example, notifying someone on data from a PING interface where the instrumenttag property holds the IP Address.

I am able to create an AF analysis to store a tag’s description in an attribute using the TagDesc PE function, but there is no similar PE function to pull in a tag’s instrument tag.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Allow exclusion of message types when searching PI Message logs

As a PI System administator of a busy PI Data Archive, I find that my message logs are unwieldy. I can miss important messages in the flood of connection messages and other repetitive messages. I would like to be able to search my message logs while excluding certain message types (like in Event Viewer). For example, I would like to be able to run a query that excludes connection messages from pinetmgr and "User query failed" messages so I can quickly narrow in the problem I'm looking for.

Filtering on severity has proven an imperfect solution because sometimes important messages…

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have de-prioritized this work in order to focus our efforts in other areas. This will remain in our longer term backlog. Please continue to provide your feedback to help us continually re-validate and re-prioritize our backlog.

18. Aggregate event frames to a time series

As an user, I want to be able to treat event frame like time series data, such as number of active event frames, sum of an attribute, so that I can continuously monitor the evolution of event frames over time.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Enhance functionality of NumOfChanges

By now the NumOfChanges Function in AF Analytics does not take into account the value at the start of the timerange. NumOfChanges only counts the amount of changed values of the recorded values in the given timeframe.
    If I query the NumOfChanges for today 12 am till now and my Archived Values are:
    Val1, 11:59 pm (day before)
    Val 2, 4 am
    Val 2, 12 pm
    Val 2, 8 pm

the function will result in 0 although in the time from 12 am to 4 am there was Val1.
    Regarding TechSupport this is not a bug in the functionality, only…

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Analysis - Remove backfilling

When a failover occur or at service startup, ALL analysis configured for backfilling executes based on the last configured backfill/recalculate timerange.

There is actually no feature to manually remove a configured backfill on a specific analysis.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
TELL US MORE
EVALUATING
PLANNED
IN DEVELOPMENT
COMPLETED
DECLINED