PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Asset-Analytics: Restrict users who can start/stop analyses

As a PI Administrator/Super User, I want to control which users can start or stop analyses. This would allow users to create analyses and preview their results, and for administrators to review them before they are put into production.

19 votes
    Sign in Sign in with OSIsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Event Frames search across AF databases.

We've several PI servers and AF servers where same products are running, so we need the ability to search Event Frames across our AF databases to compare production performance. This search ability should be available in all clients; PI Vision, DataLink etc.

19 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Tag Search GUI consistency among client tools

Consistency among tag search GUIs within client products (PI Builder, DataLink, SMT, ProcessBook, etc.)  The search in PI Builder has limited functionality and would be nice to have the same search GUI as used in SMT and ProcessBook.

19 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add reset and hold triggers to SQC analytics

Add the triggers to SQC rules to reset or hold the SQC rule. When monitoring a periodic or batch based process, a user needs to be able to hold the SQC rule or put that rule in a hold state until the process resumes. Without this feature, virtually all violations to the SQC rules are caused by the downtime periods - not the steady state process users are really intending to monitor

19 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Show Child Attribute in Analysis PE Editor Auto-Complete

As a user configuring Analyses, I would the the Performance Equation (PE) Editor's auto-complete to suggest any child attributes as well as regular attributes.  Note: This was previously Enhancement 109589.

19 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Improve search Capabilities of Management Tab

A few minor improvements to the search and filtering capabilities of the management tab could save time when doing backfills at scale - for example after transferring several elements from a development server.  If possible the following search capabilities could be very useful:
    -Improve search by template: Currently when searching by template every analysis will be listed and in alphabetical order by analysis - not template name which makes it difficult to search. It could be helpful if it were possible to choose one template and every analysis associated with that template would be included.  At the very least, adjust…

18 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow writing arrays as a time series to an output

I would like to be able to configure outputs in an analysis to write at multiple time points (which are defined by the result of an array function).

My use case is to:

1. Configure an attribute as a Time Series Table Lookup

2. Create an analysis that retrieves the values of this attribute as an array, e.g. using RecordedValues

3. Transform the data using MapData

4. Write the result back to another attribute that is configured as a PI Point

18 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Trigger AF Analysis Using Future Data

As an engineer, I want to execute analyses when I get a new future data value, so that any forecasts (either via Analysis or via a 3rd party system or via a PI Point update) can trigger analyses.

18 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow BadVal to check multiple inputs or IFERROR

Right now BadVal can only check one variable or Expression.  So if I am evaluating an expression with say 10 inputs, and I want the expression to output NoOutput() if any one of the 10 inputs are BadVal, then I have 2 options right now. 

1) copy the whole expression into the BadVal funtion and do "if badval(expression) then NoOutput() Else expression".

2) Do "if (BadVal(input1) or BadVal(input2) or ...) then NoOutput() else expression".

Ideally you would have a IFERROR function like in Excel.  So you would just type "IFERROR(expression,NoOutput())

Alternatively you could have BadVal allow multuple inputes.  So "If…

18 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Let subscribers set timezone for alerts

As a notification subscriber I want alerts to be sent using timestamps in my timezone so that I don't have to do mental conversion to interperate an alert.

18 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Native configuration promotion from test to production servers

As a PI Administrator with a test PI Server, I need to be able to easily promote configurations from our test environment to our production environment. Currently this is extremely difficult and a very manual process.

18 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow Max Rollup to provide AF Element-attribute

Using the Max Rollup function - I would like to know which element provided the maximum value and output this as well so I can historize the information.

17 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Improvement of AF Identities/Mappings - Make it similar to PI Data Archive

When adding a Mapping to an Identity in the AF Server this will always generate a new mapping linked to a user/group account.

If this user/group account it's already mapped to an identity then, by default, it will add 1 to the mapping name.

If I have a user called PISCHOOL\u602 and I add it to an identity Engineers it will generate a mapping called PISCHOOL\U602. If I add this same user to another identity like Support then it will by default generate a mapping called PISCHOOL\U603.

This can be misleading since the PISCHOOL\U603 user might already exist and we…

17 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Event Frame (EF) Linking

Ability to link Event Frames coming in from different sources (batch & mes interfaces, EFgen, PI Analytics, custom, etc.) together based on rules and monitoring an EF attribute SO THAT it's easier to associate time frame context and data that is related together but come from different sources.

17 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. SecSinceValueChange

One of the items i need to build frequently, yet no support in analytics yet.
    I want to habe an AF Analysis function that returns the number of seconds a value of an attribute has changed. E.g. to calculate how long a pump is running, how long a batch is running, etc.

Currently i need to workaround using a secondary trigger attribute and SecSinceChange, so two analysis and an additional PI Point.

Also see topic here: https://pisquare.osisoft.com/thread/14374-af-analyses-secsincechange-strange-output

17 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Ability to override analysis in a derived template

When i create a derived Element Template, i would like to be able to override an inherited analysis. Now i am severly limited in the re-use of templates due to this limitation. I cannot extend nor exclude functionality in a derived template if this is used in an analysis, because i cannot adapt the inherited analysis.

This is similar to https://feedback.osisoft.com/forums/555148-pi-server/suggestions/17865355-exclude-analysis-function
    but the two would complement each other quite well

17 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Support string values in formula data references

Formula data references do not support string value type attributes (e.g. if stringattribute="Yes" then "X" else "Y"). One workaround is to create an analysis on the element template with the same logic mapped to an attribute on the element template. In certain cases, however, an analysis will not work.

For example, for an event frame with manually-entered string data individual to each event frame that then determines the value of another event frame attribute based on IF/THEN logic), we need this value to be calculated per event frame and not on the element.

17 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Compare exported AF templates to other environments

A feature to review the changes that will be made when importing AF templates that have been exported from a lower environment.

Example.
    Make changes to element/attribute/archive templates in dev.  Export library to XML.  Compare export to QA templates and provide a report on what all will change to be reviewed before importing.  If it has only the changes you intend to promote, then you can go ahead and import.

17 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Delay Real-Time Calculations until backfill is finished.

For recursive Analyses such as below :
    PrevVal(tagA,'*') + 'TagB' → output : tagA

When the PI Analysis Service is down (or the node needs to be restarted), the current calculation needs to be halted until the Backfilling reaches up to the start up time. Or else the value will not be as expected.

17 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. It would be great to have the ability to hide the Event Frame End Time in the Notification Email When a Notification Triggers

It would be great to have the ability to hide the Event Frame End Time in the Notification Email when the notification first triggers.
    At this time, and End Time of 12/31/9999 11:59:59 PM Central Standard Time (GMT-06:00:00) is displayed even though an event is not closed.
    Note: in this case notifications have been set up to send at Event Start and End Time.

17 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA/PREVIEW
COMPLETED