PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Remove Templates for Elements in PI System Explorer

Currently, when you remove a template from an Element in PI System Explorer, you'll remove all existing attributes from the Element.

There should be a functionality in PI System Explorer to remove the template without making changes to the attributes for the element.

Currently, the only workaround is to use PI Builder to remove the template without removing the Attributes associated with said Element.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Ability to override sender email per notification

Feature of Notifications 2012 that was not carried forward - big mistake.

Need the ability to customize the sender email on notifications.  Makes it easier for users to configure email rules to take actions such as file in certain folders, forward, etc.  Also - with iPhone VIP setting, can set up phone to alert differently for critical notifications.

Huge swing and miss...

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Delay Real-Time Calculations until backfill is finished.

For recursive Analyses such as below :
    PrevVal(tagA,'*') + 'TagB' → output : tagA

When the PI Analysis Service is down (or the node needs to be restarted), the current calculation needs to be halted until the Backfilling reaches up to the start up time. Or else the value will not be as expected.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Access Tag Properties for Notification Content

As an AF user, I would like to be able to store a tag’s instrument tag value in an attribute so that it can be used in the content of a Notification. For example, notifying someone on data from a PING interface where the instrumenttag property holds the IP Address.

I am able to create an AF analysis to store a tag’s description in an attribute using the TagDesc PE function, but there is no similar PE function to pull in a tag’s instrument tag.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Allow exclusion of message types when searching PI Message logs

As a PI System administator of a busy PI Data Archive, I find that my message logs are unwieldy. I can miss important messages in the flood of connection messages and other repetitive messages. I would like to be able to search my message logs while excluding certain message types (like in Event Viewer). For example, I would like to be able to run a query that excludes connection messages from pinetmgr and "User query failed" messages so I can quickly narrow in the problem I'm looking for.

Filtering on severity has proven an imperfect solution because sometimes important messages…

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have de-prioritized this work in order to focus our efforts in other areas. This will remain in our longer term backlog. Please continue to provide your feedback to help us continually re-validate and re-prioritize our backlog.

6. Provide more granular configuration for default ACLs

As a PI Administrator of a PI System with complex security requirements, I need to set up different default permissions for various users so they can create tags that automatically have the proper security instead of having to rely on a process/procedure to correct security after the tags are built.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Put an Asset into Offline Mode which stops related analyses and notifications

Have a way to manually (or automatically via another calculation/analytic) put the status of an asset/equipment into an offline/maintenance mode that has the effect of turning any analyses and notifications for that asset off.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add To, CC and BCC for Notifications

Thanks for implementing https://feedback.osisoft.com/forums/555148-pi-server/suggestions/32874406-notification-e-mail-delivery-channel-to-accept-mul

I would like to see "CC" and "BCC" in addition to "To".

At out company the receipients of "To" should do the necessary work involved with the notification and the recipients of "CC" (and "BCC") should only be informed.

It would be nice if ";" (semicolon) would also be accepted as a separator betweeen multiple email addresses. I think MS Outlook takes the regional list separator.
    Maybe it would be best to provide a tooltip in all email fields to show this option.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. PI Auditviewer Usability Enhancements

From a pharma/biotech user perspective, I am finding that the PI Auditviewer application is difficult to use and conduct an investigation with over an extended time period.  I believe the application needs an overhaul to allow for, at minimum, the following enhancements:
    Mass import and scanning of audit source files.  A user should not have to individually browse to, add, and scan each individual log file.  Current functionality does not easily support an investigation that must take place over a broad time period.  Better yet, the application should automatically scan the log file directory, and all audit log files should…

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Reason Code value to AF element attribute or PI Tag

As a PI system user, I need the ability to use reason codes to develop reports and dashboards. The current functionality of PI Vision symbols and analytics do not really enable the use of the current data type of EF attribute.

The ability to map a reason code to an AF attribute either via analytics of via the reason code configuration window would allow this data to be used for much more than currently available.

The use case from a customer workshop last week that I'm thinking of is OEE - not all equipment has the necessary information to properly…

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Analysis - Remove backfilling

When a failover occur or at service startup, ALL analysis configured for backfilling executes based on the last configured backfill/recalculate timerange.

There is actually no feature to manually remove a configured backfill on a specific analysis.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Provide a way to backfill/recalculate analyses from Analysis Template tab in PSE

It is difficult to find all the analyses from template to backfill/recalculate after making changes in Analysis Template.  Currently one has to navigate to the Management plug-in, do some sort of search/filter, then queue the analyses.  This is a multi-step process.  Consider providing a better user experience.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Trigger Rollup Analysis Upon Adding Child Elements

It would be useful to trigger event-triggered rollup analyses upon adding new children. Currently rollup analyses are only triggered when rollup attributes are updated (and not triggered when rollup attributes are added). This would be particularly useful in cases where the rollup analysis is dependent upon the number of children such as an average. The current implementation results in misleading values when child elements are added or removed.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Option to use Good Data only in Analyses.

Analyses can suffer from bad calculations due to bad events for a tag, such as system digital state events returned for a numerical tag.

Although BadVal() can be implemented to avoid using bad events in these analyses, they add another layer of complexity the expression.

The addition of a "Use Good Data" only option in the analysis tab in PSE that applies BadVal handling on top of an analysis would help simplify expressions.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Allow default value for rollup analysis

Allow a default value to be specified for rollup analysis. This value would be used when the rollup cannot find any matching attributes, thereby eliminating a lot of rollup analysis errors and Calc Failed values from being written.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Ability to Manage Global Notification Formats from PI Builder

Currently, there is no button in PI Builder which allows users to bring in Global Notifications Formats. The button would allow users to read in current Formats and then users would be able to Publish edited formats or newly created formats. This would give users another tool to manage Formats other than using PSE.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PI Builder  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. AF Audit Trail for deleted items should retain friendly database name

Would like AF audit trail to retain friendly database name for deleted items.  Currently it removes the friendly database name making it very difficult to track changes made to a specific database once an item is deleted.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Provide a means to parse/extract data from the response received by PI Notifications after sending a notification to a web service endpoint

A web service endpoint, for instance ServiceNow, may response with useful information to a notificate, like a ticket number. There should be a way to associate that information with the event frame that triggered the notification.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. PI Analysis Service should pick up change in Cache Refresh Interval of AF Tables

It would be nice if the PI Analysis Service could pick up a change in the Cache Refresh Interval of any AF Table being referenced by input attributes with a table lookup data reference. Currently, a service restart is required.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Increase the allowed password length for AF Linked Table "Supply Password" connections

Currently the maximum password length for AF Linked Table connections using the "Supply Password" option is 15 characters. This length limitation should be increased to at least 25 characters.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
TELL US MORE
EVALUATING
PLANNED
IN DEVELOPMENT
COMPLETED
DECLINED