PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Use Excel tables to contain PI Builder data

PI Builder should use tables (the kind of table found in the Insert tab on the Ribbon) whenever headers are set up and whenever data is imported from the PI Data Archive or the PI Asset Framework.

Benefits of PI Builder using tables:
    • filters are on by default, and they do not use up the 1 filter that is allowed per sheet
    • readable formulas that automatically fill the table column
    • explicit isolation of PI Builder data from the rest of the sheet
    • banded rows are an option

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  PI Builder  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Apply non-repetition interval for Notifications sent at Event End

The Non-Repetition Interval in Notification Rules is currently only applied to Notifications sent at Event Start. I would like the Non-Repetition Interval to also be applied to Notifications sent at Event End.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Individual Collective Members Health (data matches with other nodes)

Originally posted on PI Square at https://pisquare.osisoft.com/ideas/29295-individual-collective-members-health-data-matches-with-other-nodes

We would like a way to know if a node in a collective is not receiving the same data as the other nodes. It's my understanding that all nodes in the collective receive very similar data. The PI collective node members should be able to talk with each other to know if one node is not getting similar data.

At times, a node receiving data from PItoPI or other methods, may not be getting data. The data could be buffering (a single path), hard drive space may have ran out on the…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Export and Import of Event Frame Searches

We should be able to export and import Event Frame SEARCHES to work with them in further projects.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Remove ports, models, transfers, layers, connections in PSE by default

I would like the ports, models, transfers, layers, and connections features in PSE to be removed by default, since these features are used only by customers that have the Sigmafine product from PIMsoft.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Generate error when header is misspelled

When editing PI Points, PI Builder does not return any error if one of the headers is wrong or misspelled. Simply, nothing is edited for that header and you  only find out at a later time when looking at the PI point. It would be useful if PI Builder could inform you when one of the headers does not match any PI Point attributes.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PI Builder  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Trigger Rollup Analysis Upon Adding Child Elements

It would be useful to trigger event-triggered rollup analyses upon adding new children. Currently rollup analyses are only triggered when rollup attributes are updated (and not triggered when rollup attributes are added). This would be particularly useful in cases where the rollup analysis is dependent upon the number of children such as an average. The current implementation results in misleading values when child elements are added or removed.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Extend PI audit trail to include changes made to snapshot using SMT

Using the SMT tool with the PI archive editor you can enter current values using * as time. This enters directly into the snapshot but is not recorded in the audit trail. All changes made should be recorded

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Possibility to change units of template based attributes

I have template based elements including analysis that can be used for calculations with a variety of units (tonnes, MWh,...). So it would be great to have the possibility to change the units of template based attributes. At the moment they are fixed to the template.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Notification Reporting

With the arrival of AF 2016R2 notifications changed considerably. One of the features "lost" is reporting on notification delivery. You now simply get an annotation that x number of subscribers where notified.

I would like this to be improved to include a notification delivery report. I would suggest implementing this as a sub event frame that contains the list of subscribers, how they where notified (email, webservice, ...) and the status of the delivery.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Analytics Service Utilization

The current 'Analysis Service Statistics' explain quantitatively "what is happening", but do not quantify the available capacity of the analytics engine. Managing a large and busy AF Server involves far too much guesswork as to how much additional throughput is available.

At any given moment, hundreds of analytics are running in parallel across dozens of calculation threads, using several or dozens of paralleldatapipes - but as far as I can find, there is no meaningful way to monitor the overall activity levels.

Bottlenecking occurs in many different ways - available CPU, available RAM, available threads, available data pipes, available data…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Limit element creation using reference types

I’m designing an AF database where we want most things to be correctly set up and planned on the template side, so that end-users can create the AF content later. One of the functionalities I use is creating my own reference types i PI System Explorer, and it works as expected when I define that elements from TemplateB can only be created below elements from TemplateA.

Example: I want to make sure that the only element below “Oil Well with MPFM” is the actual “MPFM”.

I want to make sure that AF designers follow the rules I've set, to keep…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Search for all Event frames belonging to an Element and its Child Elements

Currently in PI System Explorer we can search for Event Frames based on Element Name. However, it would also be good to have the option to also search for Event Frames belonging to child Elements of that specified Element.

For example, if you have a Parent Element for each of your sites or sub-sections within a plant and you would like to see all Event Frames for all assets belonging to that site or sub-section then you can select the option to include child Elements in the Event Frame Search.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Provide the ability to have attribute template that can be used in multiple element templates (attribute sets)

As an user I want to be able to configure attribute templates that can be used in multiple element templates, so that I can used common attributes between different templates. For example, create three templates representing 3 different kinds of motor but each template can use an attribute template consisting of input current, input voltage, casing temperature.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Expose backfilling/recalculation status in the AFSDK

Currently analysis runtime information can be accessed programmatically using the AFSDK (AFAnalysisService.RuntimeInformationFields - https://techsupport.osisoft.com/Documentation/PI-AF-SDK/html/POSIsoftAFAnalysisAFAnalysisService_RuntimeInformationFields.htm). However, there are no fields which can be specified corresponding to backfilling/recalculation status of an analysis.

Adding a field for the aforementioned property or introducing a new method which could expose backfilling/recalculation status would be helpful for finding backfilling/recalculation errors programmatically. This approach should be much faster than finding analyses with backfilling errors in PSE.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Different email formats for event start and end conditions

There is a requirement to include different information in the email body depending on whether the notification is for the event start or end. Typically, the event start email includes the start time and start values and the event end email also includes the end time, duration, end values and aggregations. The same could be true for other delivery channels.

Currently, the workaround is to create two Notification Rules, one for event start and one for event end, but this is not ideal.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. As an administrator, I would like to be able to backfill data that crosses over a versioning event

Use case:
    1. An element has an attribute that looks up information on equipment configuration (ex: a pump rate)
    2.  Due to an equipment change, the lookup table and the element were increased in version
    3. A backfill needed to be performed on an analysis that included the attribute which changed, and the date range spans over multiple version effective dates. The desired behavior would be to use the latest version of the attribute's value since the last effective date, and the previous version of the attribute's value before the last effective date.
    4.  Currently, the backfill cannot go further…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Allow output expressions when using implicit Event Frame generation modes

In AF/Analytics 2018, implicit modes of Event Frame generation were introduced (Pulse, Step, and Step Continuous), but they do not allow for an output expression like the explicit trigger. Adding this functionality would allow for EF attribute values to be written directly to PI tags when using any implicit mode.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Support User Information in Connection History Tool

(pidiag -connectionhistory)

Support the collection and retrieval of PI / Windows user information by the connection history database.  

Currently, the connection history database only stores IP addresses which can be misleading when multiple multiple users work from the same computer.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
1 2 5 7 9 30 31
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
TELL US MORE
EVALUATING
PLANNED
IN DEVELOPMENT
COMPLETED
DECLINED