PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. AF Audit Trail for deleted items should retain friendly database name

Would like AF audit trail to retain friendly database name for deleted items.  Currently it removes the friendly database name making it very difficult to track changes made to a specific database once an item is deleted.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Extend PI audit trail to include changes made to snapshot using SMT

Using the SMT tool with the PI archive editor you can enter current values using * as time. This enters directly into the snapshot but is not recorded in the audit trail. All changes made should be recorded

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Increase the allowed password length for AF Linked Table "Supply Password" connections

Currently the maximum password length for AF Linked Table connections using the "Supply Password" option is 15 characters. This length limitation should be increased to at least 25 characters.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Apply non-repetition interval for Notifications sent at Event End

The Non-Repetition Interval in Notification Rules is currently only applied to Notifications sent at Event Start. I would like the Non-Repetition Interval to also be applied to Notifications sent at Event End.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Export and Import of Event Frame Searches

We should be able to export and import Event Frame SEARCHES to work with them in further projects.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Event Frames (EF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow Notification rules to return an EF attribute value belonging to a different event frame in AF

I have a scenario where I would like that a certain Notification Rule, set for an Event Frame analysis (EF1), allows to return the value of an EF attribute belonging to a different Event Frame (EF2).

On this scenario, the EF2 is triggered and finishes inside the time period of EF1.

I would like to have the possibility that when EF1 is triggered the notification rules allow to find the value of the attribute belonging to EF2.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. PI System Explorer shows the creation date and last changed date of AF objects by default

As a PI System Explorer user I want to be able to see when was the creation date and last changed date of an AF object without enabling the Audit Trail, similar to the PI SMT feature which is easily accessible and works by default.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add the option to select or add custom triggers on Rollup

Currently Rollup triggers can only be "All attributes" or periodic. But sometimes, especially when you are dealing with lots of attributes been rolled up together, you may want to specify one (or a couple) attributes to the be triggers of your Rollup, while the other attributes wouldn't need to me monitored.

Giving our case as an example, currently we have an asset with 100+ attributes with mixed online and manual data. The online data will come each 15 minutes while the manual data comes once in a week. And all online data comes basically together. So, ideally for us instead…

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Analysis - Default Backfill configuration for service startup

When a failover occur or at service startup, ALL analysis configured for backfilling executes based on the last configured backfill/recalculate timerange.

There is an urgent need for a DEFAULT per-analysis configuration in case of service startup, therefore not using the last executed backfill but to have it's own planned recovery which I hope would include the last executed date as an option.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Generate error when header is misspelled

When editing PI Points, PI Builder does not return any error if one of the headers is wrong or misspelled. Simply, nothing is edited for that header and you  only find out at a later time when looking at the PI point. It would be useful if PI Builder could inform you when one of the headers does not match any PI Point attributes.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PI Builder  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Export/Import Contact Groups and/or Delivery Endpoints to XML from PI System Explorer

Please allow one to export, and import, to XML from PI System Explorer Contact Groups and/or Contact Delivery Endpoints.  Doing this with AFExport.exe and AFImport.exe on the AF Server is cumbersome and restrictive.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Totalizer that resets to 0 with Asset based Analytics

I need to calculate a running sum (totalizer) of a PI Point and reset it to 0 at the beginning of each month. I would like to do this with Asset based Analytics. There are workarounds to do this, but none are great. For example, one workaround involves an intermediate PI Point and another work around does not work with backfilling.

There is this request already on user voice: https://feedback.osisoft.com/forums/555148-pi-server/suggestions/17442598-event-weighted-summary-functions

This isn't exactly what I'm looking for because I need my total to be reset periodically (1 month in my specific case).

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Limit element creation using reference types

I’m designing an AF database where we want most things to be correctly set up and planned on the template side, so that end-users can create the AF content later. One of the functionalities I use is creating my own reference types i PI System Explorer, and it works as expected when I define that elements from TemplateB can only be created below elements from TemplateA.

Example: I want to make sure that the only element below “Oil Well with MPFM” is the actual “MPFM”.

I want to make sure that AF designers follow the rules I've set, to keep…

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Possibility to change units of template based attributes

I have template based elements including analysis that can be used for calculations with a variety of units (tonnes, MWh,...). So it would be great to have the possibility to change the units of template based attributes. At the moment they are fixed to the template.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Make it easier to get a list of buffered or unbuffered points on the PI Data Archive

For PI System Administrators, it would be nice to be able to easily get a list of all buffered or unbuffered points on the PI Data Archive.

Currently, a list of buffered points is possible to retrieve using 'piartool -bfs <id> -ptlist', but a comprehensive list would require iterating through all of the buffered sources.

Such functionality would be nice because it would allow administrators to easily identify which data sources need to be configured for buffering, or which data sources are possibly misconfigured for buffering. It would also be a quick thing to check for points which may potentially…

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Use Excel tables to contain PI Builder data

PI Builder should use tables (the kind of table found in the Insert tab on the Ribbon) whenever headers are set up and whenever data is imported from the PI Data Archive or the PI Asset Framework.

Benefits of PI Builder using tables:
    • filters are on by default, and they do not use up the 1 filter that is allowed per sheet
    • readable formulas that automatically fill the table column
    • explicit isolation of PI Builder data from the rest of the sheet
    • banded rows are an option

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PI Builder  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Notification Reporting

With the arrival of AF 2016R2 notifications changed considerably. One of the features "lost" is reporting on notification delivery. You now simply get an annotation that x number of subscribers where notified.

I would like this to be improved to include a notification delivery report. I would suggest implementing this as a sub event frame that contains the list of subscribers, how they where notified (email, webservice, ...) and the status of the delivery.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Make a way to know the statistic of use of every PI TAG in Data Archive

When you have thousands of tags in your Data Archive, you need to know wich tags are beign used and witch don't. It would be very usefull to have some diagnostic that shows wich tags are being cosumed more and from wich client.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Send notification to additional persons based on change in severity

A way to configure a notification rule to send to additional contacts when the severity status changes without creating a new analysis.

Customer use case:
    Customer wants to scan devices. If a device fails to respond (I/O Timeout) over a short period of time, the event frame Severity is set to Warning and a notification is sent to IT. If the device remains offline for an extended period of time a child event frame is created and severity changes to major. When this occurs the customer would like additional people to be notified so they can go investigate the issue.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
1 2 5 7 9 34 35
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
TELL US MORE
EVALUATING
PLANNED
IN DEVELOPMENT
COMPLETED
DECLINED