PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feedback page!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, feature suggestions and feedback on PI Server. Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site, and vote for your favorite ideas.

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please open a case with OSIsoft Tech Support through myOSIsoft Customer Portal  (https://my.osisoft.com) instead of sharing them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to documentation@osisoft.com instead of sharing them on this site.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Weekly and monthly scheduling of notifications in PSE.

Please add support in PSE for weekly and monthly scheduling of notifications.

Thanks

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Display time when analysis went into error

PI System Explorer should show the last time an analysis went into error on the Management tab.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

In order to track last execution time for analyses across restarts, we would have to store this information somewhere. At the same time, you can already look at the output timestamp of the calculation results to see the last time an analysis successfully produced an output. If we were to make that available on the Management tab, would that suffice?

3. Totalizer that resets to 0 with Asset based Analytics

I need to calculate a running sum (totalizer) of a PI Point and reset it to 0 at the beginning of each month. I would like to do this with Asset based Analytics. There are workarounds to do this, but none are great. For example, one workaround involves an intermediate PI Point and another work around does not work with backfilling.

There is this request already on user voice: https://feedback.osisoft.com/forums/555148-pi-server/suggestions/17442598-event-weighted-summary-functions

This isn't exactly what I'm looking for because I need my total to be reset periodically (1 month in my specific case).

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Claims based authentication

As a PI Administrator I want to be able to use claims based authentication throughout the PI System so that I can provide a simplified and secure authentication methodology for all my users, including ones using web based applications.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Increase the allowed password length for AF Linked Table "Supply Password" connections

Currently the maximum password length for AF Linked Table connections using the "Supply Password" option is 15 characters. This length limitation should be increased to at least 25 characters.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Integrate Python into PI System Explorer

As a user I would like to integrate python directly into AF so that I can have the open source capabilities of Python directly available to me as oppose to having OSISoft develop many of the options that Python already offers. This would allow for Python scripts to be ran directly in the AF structure so that outputs of models such as Machine learning can be written to a pi tag directly. This would also allow for greater data manipulation by utilizing pandas and even API Get requests to pull in data from other APIs to bundle time series data…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add Kerberos Authentication for PI Asset Analytics

Currently, PI Asset Analytics utilizes NTLM authentication.

My customer's MSFT Windows Ops team does not recommend using NTLM and by default have this deactivated.

Request is to add support for Kerberos authentication for PI Asset Analytics as part of security best practices.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. PI AF Template Versioning

Allow for PI AF templates to be version controlled. Include the ability to revert to previous template version, or continue to use old versions for specific elements. This will reduce the risk of deployment and improve change/release management process.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Incremental backups are not possible because of frequent backfilling

Occasional back filling of data would cause 5 TB of archives to be backed up with incremental backups. This is frustrating because only a few KB of data is changed in each archive. Can OSIsoft provide a way to backup only the data that has changed or support a 3rd party backup solution that would backup only the differences?

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Flexible Analysis Scheduling Options

Users should have flexible Analysis scheduling options, similar to the Outlook recurring meeting options.

See attached image for date-based recurrence patterns. Similar patterns for time would be helpful as well.

As is, many PI Analysis users are cluttering their Analysis Templates with timing checks to work around the absence of scheduling options. Ideally, periodic scheduling should not have to be built into Analysis expressions.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Function to retrieve Instrument tag

I want to have a function to retrieve a PI Tags Instrument tag in AF analytics

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. PSE attribute search by data reference

Extend attribute search in PSE to limit search by data reference. One use case is when we want to do a reset to template in bulk, it would be nice to only return attributes that use PI Point data reference. If I understand the release notes correctly, the enhancement below to AF 2017 R2 should make this possible; is that correct?
    New PlugIn and PlugInName query filters were added to AFAttributeSearch, AFAnalysisSearch, AFAnalysisTemplateSearch, and AFNotificationContactTemplateSearch (e.g. PlugIn:"PI Point") to allow applications to search by the plug-in type.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Officially test compatibility with Windows Security Baselines

As a PI System administrator, I need to harden the OS of my servers consistent with industry best practices so that they are resilient to attack and random disruption.

Official testing of compatibility with industry standards such as the Windows Security baselines from Microsoft or Windows Server CIS benchmarks would give administrators added confidence that they can apply these hardening best practices without impacting core functionality.

Windows Security Baselines: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/windows-security-baselines

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow access to Attribute Timestamp without using Analysis

It would be very helpfull if we could access not only attribute values but also their timestamp in formulas, string builder, etc.. For example, this would help calculate staleness of a value, or it could be used to set a PI Point Attribute to show the maximum, minimum or average since last event of a tag.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add Access Right that Allow Users to Create Tags But Not Delete Tags

As a user of the PI Data Archive, I would like the ability to give users access to create tags but not to be able to delete tags. This way they will not be able to accidentally delete tags but they still have the ability to create tags.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Ability to search find where specific UOM are used

As a user, I want to be able to find where specific UOM are used, so that I know the impact of UOM changes to my PI AF hierarchy.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Rollup Analysis - Filter Attribute Names at both Root & Child Level

Requesting the ability to be able to filter at BOTH the root level (parent attribute) and child level (child attribute) when doing a rollup analysis.

If you have the same child attribute names under different parent attributes (i.e. Children: YTD, MTD ; Parents: Energy Consumed, Energy Produced), you are unable to filter on them explicitly unless you make the name unique enough. This ultimately causes a repeat in naming from the parent (i.e. Children: YTD Energy Consumed, MTD Energy Consumed).

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Asset Analytics should have a performance counter to indicate data loss on the UpdateManager queue

Currently there is no way to know if Analytics missed important updates (e.g. start of a batch) without analyzing the message logs.
    However, the AFSDK does provide an indication on the DataPipe if the pipe is in an overflow state, allowing for a consumer to detect if updates have been lost.

I would like AF Analytics to include a Performance Counter that indicates the UpdateQueue size and/or an indication of lost Events. That allows to monitor if any important data is potentially missed by Analytics.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Better search criteria in Management tab of PI System Explorer

PI System Explorer Management Tab should have better search criteria. For example, select specific elements in which to rerun an Analysis. Maybe use Element = something OR/AND Element = something else. Or search by element path.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Delayed Triggers for Analytics

We have some data analyzers in the DCS system that provide results to PI tags in a delayed fashion.

Sample use case:
    (t+0s) valve closes,
    (t+30s) measurement1 sent to the DCS tag m1
    (t+60s) measurement2 sent to the DCS tag m2.

We need to trigger a analysis off of the valve closure, but we need  Sleep(30) command in the analytic, or the ability to set per-analytic delays, so that some are delayed by 30 or 60  seconds.

Or is this possible today by other means?

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

ANSWERED  ·  1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
1 2 6 8 10 31 32
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
TELL US MORE
EVALUATING
PLANNED
IN DEVELOPMENT
COMPLETED
DECLINED