PI Server

Welcome to the PI Server feature suggestion box. We created this forum to hear your ideas, suggestions and feedback.

Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site! Also vote for your favorite features now! We welcome your feedback.

• NOTE: for bugs, please report to OSIsoft Tech Support at techsupport@osisoft.com rather than entering them on this site.

How can we improve the PI Server?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Utility to completely uninstall all OSIsoft PI products from a machine

It would be helping to have a utility do a complete uninstall of all the PI products from a machine including registry keys and hidden files.

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Installation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow element references to have a different name

Allow element references to have a different name be defined. This will make it easier to build alternate hierarchies in AF. A new string substitution parameter (perhaps %ReferenceElement%) would also need to be created to distinguish from %Element%.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Substitution Parameters in Analysis Template Names

As an AF administrator, I want to configure analysis template names using Substitution Parameters to distinguish analysis from each other with PSE and in AF SDK Applications.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Multi tree-type hierarchy feature in AF

It would be great in AF to have multi tree-type hierarchy feature to be able to copy by reference a parent element (without its child elements attached to it).
    See the attachment

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. PI SMT: some plugins missing features for future data

Certain plugins in PI SMT do not have features to support future data
    1. Snapshot and Archive Statistics (is available only through piartool)
    2. Current Data does not subscribe to timeseries in Update Manager
    3. Stale and Bad tags

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Limit element creation using reference types

I’m designing an AF database where we want most things to be correctly set up and planned on the template side, so that end-users can create the AF content later. One of the functionalities I use is creating my own reference types i PI System Explorer, and it works as expected when I define that elements from TemplateB can only be created below elements from TemplateA.

Example: I want to make sure that the only element below “Oil Well with MPFM” is the actual “MPFM”.

I want to make sure that AF designers follow the rules I've set, to keep…

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Import archived data Into Excel based on start and end times of specified event frame.

Import raw, archived data for a PI tag Into Excel based on start and end times of specified event frame.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PI Builder  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. pisrvstart and pisrvstop scripts should have pilogsrvX64

pisrvstart.bat and pisrvstop.bat scripts should have "pilogsrvX64" added to them.  Currently all services except the "PIPC Log Server x64" are started/stopped by these scripts.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Interpolation options for step tags

When the step attribute of a PI tag is "on", allow the user to specify an interpolation method.

The current method assumes that a value is constant until the next event, which works well in most cases.

For tags that track rolling averages, rolling totals, real-time derivatives of totalizer tags with respect to time, etc., it would be more useful to assume that a value is constant up to the previous event.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  System Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Enable authentication headers for SOAP and REST Web Service Notifications

There's no way to configure headers for Notification Rules associated with a PI AF Services v2017 SP1 Elements with a SOAP or REST Web Service Endpoint.  Authenticated web services, such as our company's Maximo's meter data inbound service requires a MAXAUTH header with a base64-encrypted username:password string.  As a result, you can't use PI as a source of data for Maximo's condition-based maintenance triggers and automated asset meter reading updates, if Maximo uses authentication on its web services.  That's a fairly common scenario with a high rate of return on the PI-Maximo integration efforts for a lot of customers.

9 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Support "abstract" templates in AF

There is a need to create "abstract" element templates in AF, and this has been requested several times.

2012: https://pisquare.osisoft.com/message/4172
    2014: https://pisquare.osisoft.com/message/27621#comment-27621
    2017: https://pisquare.osisoft.com/thread/32721-possible-to-define-a-virtual-element-template

An abstract class/template is one that you must create a derived version of yourself, you cannot use it directly. It's a base template, but you want to prevent users from instantiating it directly.

You might implement the general attributes for pumps as an abstract template, but you require users to create a derived template for each pump type they have, and then instantiate an element from that.

28 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Support setting data quality related flags from analysis

As a user of Asset Analytics I would like to manipulate data quality related flags (such as quastionable, substituted, etc) from my analysis so that I can set the flag when there is a problem with input value statuses.

5 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Support string values in formula data references

Formula data references do not support string value type attributes (e.g. if stringattribute="Yes" then "X" else "Y"). One workaround is to create an analysis on the element template with the same logic mapped to an attribute on the element template. In certain cases, however, an analysis will not work.

For example, for an event frame with manually-entered string data individual to each event frame that then determines the value of another event frame attribute based on IF/THEN logic), we need this value to be calculated per event frame and not on the element.

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Remove timestamp from tooltip display for static or table lookup attributes in PSE

When hovering over an attribute in PI System Explorer for PI AF, the tooltip indicates a timestamp of 1/1/1970 12:00:00 AM. For static or table lookup attributes that have a Value Type of DateTime, this is confusing and misleading since two timestamps are displayed. The tooltip that appears when hovering should be modified so that the timestamp does not appear for DateTime attributes, and instead only the name and value are shown.

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Custom Delivery Channels in PI Notifications (newer versions)

Originally posted on PI Square at https://pisquare.osisoft.com/ideas/3778-custom-delivery-channels-in-pi-notifications-newer-versions

Customer would like to have the Custom Delivery Channels in PI Notifications 2012 upgraded to the newer versions. This limitation is preventing him from updating to the latest technology.

Originally posted on UserVoice

7 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Custom time formats for specific notifications

Customer would like a specific Notification to use a 24 hour time format, while all other Notifications use the 12 hour time format.

For Example: Notifications A sends out emails in a 24 hour time format. All other notifications sends out emails in a 12 hour time format.

Currently it is possible to change all Notification time formats but it is not possible to change individual Notification time formats.

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. AF XML Export and Import Should Be Version Aware

XML export and import should get the possibility to export and import all or any versions of an element, not only the actual one.

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Asset Framework (AF)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Auto-Regroup PI Analytics

Behind the scenes, Analytics groups calculations during startup of the PI Analysis service.  However, after startup, sometimes an Analysis 'falls' out of a group and cannot be added back.  This returns the error message, "Failed to insert calculation to a group due to inconsistent internal state." when Disabling/Re-enabling the calculation.

Although this can be fixed by restarting the PI Analysis service, it can cause a disruption for all AF Databases on the system, not just the one with the error.  This results in hours of backfilling and startup for large PI Analysis systems.

Provide the means to regroup calculations manually…

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Implement contact-level time formatting specification

I want to be able to configure a time format setting at the contact level. This will allow me to send notifications with the user's desired time format.

We can currently change time formatting options at the notification service level, but I have users receiving notifications from the same system who have different formatting requirements.

2 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Integrate Anaconda python

It's important to have Anaconda python with Af to perform machine learning and it will be easy to implement those models to have maximum benifits combined with pi and machine learning

1 vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics & Calculations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base