Manageability

Welcome to the PI System Manageability feedback site!

We created this forum to hear your ideas, challenges, and feedback on how we could make the PI System more manageable. Manageability covers different aspects, including but not limited to, monitoring, deployment, upgrade, and managing different configurations.
Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.

• For bugs, please report to OSIsoft Technical Support at techsupport@osisoft.com rather than entering them on this site.
  • For documentation feedback and bugs, please report to Documentation@osisoft.com rather than entering them on this site.

How can we improve the manageability of OSIsoft suite of products?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Monitor the health of analytics/notifications

As a user of asset-analytics and notifications, I need an  easy way to know that PI Analysis and PI Notifications services are in good health and that event frames/notifications are being generated/sent as expected

41 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Health  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

In the PI System Health Tool, we are currently planning to detect health problems for AF, Notifications and Analytics in the 2018 R2 timeframe.

Do you have additional feedback / requirements about how you currently detect when Notifications have stopped working?

2. PI System Connectivity Map

Build a visual PI System connectivity map that shows how interfaces and servers (etc) are connected from so many different places.

24 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Health  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are working on a new tool to help surface the health of your PI System. We have 2 visualizations currently planned for this tool. The first is a visual display of your Enterprise PI System in a “sunburst” style graphic. Each machine or component is represented, and turns red-yellow-green to indicate health status.

When drilling into a specific component type, there will be a data flow map that indicates how things are connected, and how it is performing.

We’ve learned that data flow maps at an enterprise level aren’t very scalable, but the feedback we’ve received on the current designs has been very positive from customers. We are targeting a CTP in the fall of 2017.

3. Tag Tuning Diagnostics

I'd like to get indications about under compressed and over compressed Tags. Over Compressed Tags can result in data loss.

15 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. I'd like PSH/NOC to monitor PI Vsion

I'd like to have PSH and the NOC Service monitor the health of my PI Vision system.

13 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PI System Health  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is something we are planning for a future version of PI System Health. No specific version targeted yet, but it would come after the first two releases of PI System Health.

v.1 will focus on monitoring the health of the data flow
    v.2 will expand to monitor health of AF, Notifications, and Asset Analytics.

5. Add a column in PI System Directory showing the latest released version of PI Products

It would be helpful to see if our PI system version is up to date and if not, what the latest released version is. This helps us with the upgrade planning.

11 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PI System Directory  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. I'd like PSH/NOC to monitor Web API Services

I'd like to have PSH and the NOC Service monitor the health of my Web API Services.

10 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This is something we are planning for a future version of PI System Health. No specific version targeted yet, but it would come after the first two releases of PI System Health.

v.1 will focus on monitoring the health of the data flow
    v.2 will expand to monitor health of AF, Notifications, and Asset Analytics.

7. View log file information

Users want to be able to view the contents of a log file from the PI System Health tool to assist when troubleshooting an interface or other data flow problem.

9 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. I'd like PSH/Health to monitor PI Integrator

I'd like to have PSH and the NOC Service monitor the health of my PI Integrator.

7 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PI System Health  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

this is something we plan to do in a future version of PI System Health.

v1 will focus on managing the health of the Data Flow between Interfaces or Connectors and PI Data Archive.
    v2 will expand to monitor the health of AF, Notifications and Asset Analytics.

we have plans to add monitoring for PI Web API, PI Vision, and Integrators in versions after those.

9. Support duplicate performance monitoring PI points with mPI

Managed PI should check to see if performance tags already exist and either allow duplicates or provide a way to change the performance points it wants to create.

6 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add the feedback widget to PSH UI

Make it easy for users to provide their feedback on the product while using PI System Health UI

6 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Possible integration of PI System Health with internal ticketing systems

Make it possible for PI System Health to integrate/communicate with out internal IT ticketing system. This way, any health-related issue identified by PSH can be a trigger in our ticketing system.

5 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Make installation and upgrade of PI System Health easy

PI System Health will be very helpful to us for monitoring our large PI Infrastructure of hundreds of nodes. Aside from the large number of nodes, some of these machines, mainly Interfaces, are not easy to access for any install or upgrade, so having an easy way  for installing and upgrading PSH/PSD would be key for us to be able to use them.

5 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. export version, configuration and health information for reporting

would like to build report based on the available information. Ex: version installed, configuration of the PI software and their health status.

5 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Filling archive

As a PI admin I want to get notified if a tag is overfilling my Archive, maybe due to missconfiguration of ex/Comp. Setting.

5 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Health  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Alert on buffer queue corruption

Detect when I have buffer queue corruption and alert on that issue.  Original post in NOC Services - https://feedback.osisoft.com/forums/596665-noc-services/suggestions/18788656-alert-on-buffer-queue-corruption.

5 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Health  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. PSD to report on SQL Server install

I would like PSD to report on the SQL Server install. SQL Server is a core component of a PI system as it is required by AF, and used by PI Vision and PI Manual Logger. Similar to the OS information, I want to know where SQL Server is installed in my landscape, and what flavor (Enterprise, Express, etc.) & version.

In the future I would also like PSH to monitor the SQL Server service and report when it stops/fails/etc.

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Integrate PSH data with enterprise monitoring tools

I'd like PSH to integrate with Enterprise Monitoring Tools such as Splunk or MS SCOM so that I can see PI System Health data in one console (with my enterprise monitoring solution).

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Performance Counter for Critical, Error, and Warning messages.

In addition to a performance counter for total messages sent into the PI log, it would be very useful to have performance counter to determine which of these messages are Critical, Error, or Warning messages. This way, users can monitor specifically when a certain type of message appears in the log, and even create Notifications around them.

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Health  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Collect more information about the host operating system environment. For example: is it running Windows Core

As a system administrator or as an upgrade implementation planner, I need to know the operating system environment that is hosting the software. mPI (Managed PI) collects information about the host OS version, whether physical or virtualized, and whether 32-bit or 64-bit. mPI transferrs this inventory infomation to the OSIsoft NOC where it is visible to NOC Engineers, EPMs, CoEEs, and customers. mPI should also capture whether the host OS is running as Windows Core. This should be feasible since it is available as a registry entry.

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

PI System Directory will be able to show you the operating system, version, and other software and configuration information about a particular computer or details about specific OSIsoft software installed on that computer.

This software is in a closed CTP right now, and our first release is planned for the end of 2017.

20. Have PSD detect PI client tools installs

In our landscape, we usually create an ‘Admin’ server for each major PI system and install all the client tools on it for support staff to use for bulk work because it is normally easier (rather than their desktops) due to the admin servers being faster and closer to the PI/AF servers, and they require their administrative security account, rather than their desktop account. We have had use cases where we need to know what version of a client tool is installed everywhere (in the server landscape) so we know which ones need to be upgraded to a newer version.…

3 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PI System Directory  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED