NOC Services

Welcome to the Network Operation Center (NOC) Services feature suggestion box. We created this forum to hear your ideas, suggestions and feedback.

Please suggest your most important features and design change ideas on this site! Also vote for your favorite features now! We welcome your feedback.

How can we improve our NOC Services?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Help me manage my alerts other than email!

I'd like an easier way of managing my alerts other than email, something that helps me determine what needs to be done next to resolve my issue, or helps me connect with the right OSIsoft staff to resolve the issue.

17 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Alert on buffer queue corruption

Detect when I have buffer queue corruption and alert on that issue.

Don't forget to upvote this suggestion on the PI System Health as well! It's found here: https://feedback.osisoft.com/forums/557572-pi-system-health/suggestions/18855337-alert-on-buffer-queue-corruption

16 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Monitor PI Services running under WCF (Windows Clustered Failover)

I'd like to monitor the heath of PI Software that runs under WCF (Windows Clustered Failover) so that I can have high(er) available services for my customer that are monitored with NOC Services.

14 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Automatic update mPI software

I'd like to have the mPI software auto-update, so that I don't have to deploy resources to update or wait on OSIsoft to update the software.

11 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. I've just made a configuration change - Can I see my site status

I just made a configuration change to my site - I'd like a quick way to confirm my site is not generating new alerts in the NOC

11 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

RESEARCHING / EVALUATING  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Share a PI System Health Map

I coach remote sites to help them manage their PI Systems. While the remote sites receive NOC alerts, I'd like to share a visual map of the remote site PI System Health so that I can coach my remote sites about how to fix their problems in conjunction with NOC support.

9 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Monitor PI Connectors

I'd like to monitor the health of the PI Connectors so that I can quickly remediate service issues that occur. The missing monitoring is a show stopper to switch from Interfaces to Connectors.

9 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Don't critically alert on a interface failover that is still collecting data

Don't classify a UFO failover as a critical incident: “Interfaces Not Running” – This indicates that data collection is compromised which may result in irreversible data loss. But is it really Critical when the interface is in UFO setup and the secondary interface is healthy? (“Critical” can result in a phone call 24/7)

7 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Let me self install NOC agent

I'd like self service to support NOC (mPI) installs - it takes weeks to have FS to do the work.

7 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Let me prioritize what interfaces are critical, so I can be alerted as soon as possible if there is data loss.

There are critical interfaces where data loss means potential regulatory fines. I'd like to get alerted on these interfaces as quickly as possible and if we can prioritize these interfaces to be alerted upon first, it would help lessen the real costs of data loss.

7 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Alert me with a data loss issue

I would like to get alerts from the NOC when there is a data loss issue. I'd like the system to be intelligent enough to understand how often data is updated during normal operation, and notify me when data stops updating (outside of some statistical bounds). Root causes could be a stopped interface, a problem with failover, a failed calculation/analytic, or some problem with an upstream data capture or transmit mechanism.

6 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Prevent temporary drives from being monitored

Currently if you have hard drives monitored by the NOC, if you attach a temporary hard drive, the NOC will begin to monitor it. This can be a nuisance to the customer if the drive has low disk capacity but is only being used for a short period of time. A potential solution would be to have a feature where customer can have the option to automatically monitor new drives.

5 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Be able to see a history of NOC support case communications

NOC support cases are very similar to tech support cases. Sometimes, the communications go into great detail, and it would be nice to recall a history of these communications similar to tech support cases on the tech support website.

Since NOC support cases use the same numbering system as tech support cases, I see no harm in showing NOC support cases alongside tech support cases on the tech support website.

5 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

RESEARCHING / EVALUATING  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Define a way to put many nodes into maintenance at once

I'd like an easy way to put many nodes into maintenance at once, such as a site (in case of a site outage), or a product line (when a line operator indicates that they want to bring down a production line)

5 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Scheduled NOC reports to customer

I would like to get a monthly report 12:00 am the first day of the month to 11:59 pm the last day of the month that includes both ITSM Incidents and NOC Incidents, showing the Site, System, Machine, object and issue (along with criticality) grouped by system/machine/objectissue with a count of occurences and average duration. That way we could review our monthly performance and trending the first week of each month.

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Monitor PI Web Services

I'd like to monitor the health of PI Web Services because I use this as part of my infrastructure for applications and/or PI Vision.

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Document how to set minimum permissions for each Managed PI service

I want to set give minimum permissions to the service accounts that run the Managed PI services. The solution proposed by tech support was to either use the Local System account or add the service account to the local Administrators group. The former approach would require giving the entire Managed PI computer permission to the PI Data Archive, since Local System takes the identity of the machine. The latter approach gives the service account excessive permissions on the Managed PI computer. A 3rd approach was described to me, but it was too vague to complete. Clearly, none of these approaches…

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

RESEARCHING / EVALUATING  ·  0 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Notify me when my PI server backup fails

I would like to be notified when my PI server backup was not successful and failed.

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Use non-confusing non-US-Centric date formats

Currently the GUI displays and requires timestamps to be entered in US date format (M/D/YYYY) in the Advanced – Current Values and Maintenance sections. I would like to view/enter dates either in my local time zone or using a non ambiguous format, e.g. 5-May-2017.

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Alert on excessive archive shifts

I'd like an alert if I see excessive archive shifts.

4 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

NOC Services

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Posted ideas will have one of the following statuses.
Full definition of these statuses can be found on the Home Page.
No status
NEEDS MORE DISCUSSION
RESEARCHING/EVALUATING
DECLINED
PLANNED
STARTED/IN DEVELOPMENT
IN BETA
COMPLETED